Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Backing in to a pull in site

Well, I booked a site that is meant for a motorhome (hookups on the wrong side). I checked with the campground and explained that we have a fifth wheel and they said as long as we're ok with it, they are ok with it.

The site itself looks gorgeous; wide, level, paved waterfront site with a beautiful, big stone fireplace and expansive view of the lake. And it's right next to the boat launch. I really don't want to give it up.

So anyone have experience backing into a pull in (motorhome) site? Any tips?

Thanks!

P.S. That back door is really going to come in handy on this site! Why oh why did Keystone eliminate it?!

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I know of no "Official" policy that says you have to pull into a pull-thru site. On our recent Alaska trip there was a mixup at one of the CGs and we were assigned a MH pull-in site, wouldn't work as a pull-in for us, so we just backed in. Now all the hook-up were on the wrong side, but it was just a one nighter so we just connected power and used water from our on-board tank.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We have stayed at a couple of different campgrounds that are meant more for motorhomes than fivers. Didn't have any problems. It's just like backing into a regular spot. The only caution I would have is to make sure you have enough lengths in your hookup devices, such as the power cord, the sewer hose, water hose, etc. We carry multiple lengths of each, so even if the hookups are on the wrong side, I just run it under the trailer to the hookup. That would be the one concern I would have, a 25 foot power cord, and it's 30 feet to the plug in.

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thanks. I'm concerned about the power cord & water hose, but we'll make sure we have longer lengths of each. What concerns me more is sewer. It'll be a long run and from the pictures the last 5 feet or so is uphill.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I'm not sure anymore whether there is any such thing as a standard campground hook up. As mentioned we have found it a necessity to carry extra lengths of everything. As long as the discharge from your Montana is higher than the level of the sewer line in the campground you should be ok with your sewer. You would probably want to raise your hose to drain it after you dump so nothing is just sitting in the hose. You might also want to look into a macerator system. They are much easier to deal with than the normal sewer hose.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We carry plenty of water hose, a 25' 50amp extension cord and 60' of sewer hose so we've been there and done it with no problem. The up hill part could be a problem if it's a great rise, otherwise if you have a sewer hose holder just use it near the rig and get the stuff flowing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
We had this situation once and it turned out o.k. We had to share the same "patio space" as the neighbors in the MH next to us but they said it was o.k. with them (I guess you won't have that problem with the extra door . We have a Sewer Solution so pumping sewer uphill works for us and we had plenty of hoses to reach.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'm leaving Sunday for a beach front spot for two weeks. if I pull in forward I get a view of Pacific Coast Highway and some construction out the picture window. If I face the other direction I get a view of the ocean. Guess which way I'm pulling in.

As long as they don't have a problem I don't have a problem. The only real issues are your front door will be facing your neighbors front door and they may be less than thrilled and you'll be walking over your connections but again that's not too big a deal.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #9
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Ok so Im now officially confused. We are in an RV Park in Tucson and most of the RVs in the park are motorhomes. The hookups all appear to be on the same side as our 5er. Is it the case that older Motorhomes and Parks had them on the opposite side but now are standard on the Off Door Side.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
No, just some sites are setup more for MH as most of them their view is out the Front Window/Window Shield where as many 5ers view is out the Back Window. So some CG, such as along the coast will have Pull-in sites for MHs so they're looking at the view thru the front with the hookups on their Road side (left facing forward). Now for a 5er with a rear window to get the view they would have to back in, thus putting the hookups on their Curb side where their front/main door is. Works great if you're traveling with friends who have a MH as you'd be "Awning to Awning".
Old 12-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
We have a door on both sides, so we're lucky in that respect. We won't have to enter/exit on the wrong side (whichever side may be the wrong side). We also have a lovely huge picture window in the back, which happens to be in our bedroom. I'm very much looking forward to waking to an expansive view of the lake.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We had the same exact situation at a campground in New Orleans. Took a 50 amp extension and had plenty of sewer line and water hose. Never had a problem! With regards to the sewer, I have been in sites with the last part of the sewer run being uphill and unfortunately the only solution (without a macerator type pump system) is to walk the line and lift it as you go to force the contents to move downhill. Sometimes takes several "walks". And, as you said, we did use the back door a lot more!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote