Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The effects of natures fireworks!

We started a tradition a couple of years ago where our family on my side spends the fourth of July at our house. Those who have seen the weather reports from the mid-Atlantic region are aware that we have been subjected to some trials and tribulations. The saga began with some very violent storms that hit the area on Friday evening. We were right in the middle of the area with no power, but were extremely blessed with no major damage. First thing upon returning to the house Friday evening was to get the camping generators onto the porch and since we have no transfer switches (yet - I sense a house mod coming here) I immediately started running extension cords into the house to power necessary items. The Honda 2000 powered up the fridge and the chest freezer as well as two portable ice makers. The kipor 3000 was initially used for other items deemed necessary such as porch fans to direct generator exhaust away and perhaps what was first one of the most important things, the pool pump. Although that may sound frivolous, the heat index each day was north of 100. July 1 I went to lowes and purchased a 10000 btu window air conditioner which was alternated with the pool pump on the kipor. We managed to survive and actually enjoy the times together "roughing it" if it could be called that. Power was restored on the 3rd but on e again the camping generators proved to be priceless. Ironically, now that the house is quiet again, the main heat pump decides it has had enough so until the repair guy arrives tomorrow, the frigidaire 10000 is back in the living room window. Hope everyone had a great holiday with a little less stress than ours! Just had another batten the hatches storm roll through but the power stayed on, thank goodness since heat index is supposed to be 105 the next couple of days. Definitely hot here in the hills of WV!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got to here you're ok and getting by! We've actually never used the generators with our rig yet, but they've been used a lot for other things.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
Glad to hear you did not suffer significant damage, Bingo. We too, were in the middle of it and are not scheduled to get power back until Friday night or Saturday. No significant damage here, either. Sure glad we are campers and have the portable generator. We had just gotten our cow back from the butcher and would have lost all that meat. We were blessed, but it sounds like some were not as fortunate. The positive side of the whole thing for us is that it has gotten us from in front of the boob tube.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We once used one of our Honda's to power an RV park refrigerator and freezer for a week while we used the other one to power our rig; this lasted a week due to a tornado.

Glad everyone is okay!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Bingo,...glad to know you made out ok in the storm and are safe...we lucked out as well with no major damage to house, the Monty, truck or pool...we got electric back late Saturday pm...but the generators sure were nice to have..lucky we just filled up our gas cans a couple of days before the storm...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
One week later and if all holds we are back to normal! Sounds like us campers are a pretty resilient bunch. Heat pump repair consisted of a capacitor so at least it was not a major expenditure. Now we can get back to important stuff like planning our beach trip to Myrtle in two weeks.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We go hit with the storm to. Power was off for 3 days. Every body here should have power by Sunday. We lost the most beautiful tree on the place, an old white oak. It had 120 feet under the canopy. It was a huge tree when my 3 brothers and I played under it 60 years ago.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Good deal, Bingo. Work with what you've got!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We are at Harbor RV Resort in MI. It was showing 107 on our truck thermometer today on a short trip we took to OH.

We left the stick house last Monday and our daughters' family had come to our house because they had lost power. I'm glad everything worked out for you and your family Bingo!

We certainly are enjoying the 2nd A/C on our camper. Its keeping the camper very comfortable.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Bingo,been there this winter as we were without power for 9 days. My poor Onan 4.0 KW generator had to work overtime time to pull through that stretch of snow. So I figured I should break down and install a new generator as I got tired of running to town to get $30 worth of gas every day. So here it is a new 12KW Honeywell auto start,auto transfer unit. All I have left to do is final tie in of the natural gas line and 4 wires into my breaker panel. So bring it on I will be ready in a couple of days!!!