Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
stinky furnace

I have a 2005 328RLS Mountaineer that set up for about a year before we bought it. The furnace seems to have a rat nest in it somewhere that REALLY lets us know it is there when the furnace comes on. We have no more furry little riders and can't see anything in the furnace, the duct work or any of the floor vents, but it is there somewhere. The only place I haven't disassembled is the step up into the bedroom where the duct apparently goes into the flexible ducting for the upstairs. It also has the arctic package so I wonder if it recirculates through the underbelly somehow. Anybody that has seen one torn apart, what are your suggestions.
Thanks for any help or advice,
Clent

shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, could be anywhere. even below in the underbelly.
I would do the last exam step, may get lucky. Are you living in it?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
No, we just camp in it...if we lived in it, it would have been found already-or traded!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
A couple of years ago, we had the same problem and took apart the furnace and found two "Baby" mice that got stuck between the shell of the furnace and the burner elements. Everytime the furnace came on they would start to burn again and stink up the whole house. TG we found them.
Good Luck
Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Yep, had one good sized one that got caught in the squirrel cage fan and stunk the place before we could figure out what was making the thumping noise. It was yucky for a while.......
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You state "The furnace seems to have a rat nest in it somewhere that REALLY lets us know it is there when the furnace comes on. We have no more furry little riders and can't see anything in the furnace, the duct work or any of the floor vents, but it is there somewhere.", but did this include taking the furnace apart and looking inside? I think you should try this first. When there's a direct smell like you are describing it sounds like an unfortunate critter got themselves stuck inside and not where you can see something obvious from the outside.

I hope you get this taken care of. The colder climates are almost upon this and it will make for a stinky time in the rig if this ain't solved pretty quick. Please post your findings and solution.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Outahere

A couple of years ago, we had the same problem and took apart the furnace and found two "Baby" mice that got stuck between the shell of the furnace and the burner elements. Everytime the furnace came on they would start to burn again and stink up the whole house. TG we found them.
Good Luck
\\Good thing you found them or we would have to cited you for running an unlicensed crematorium.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724

Cute Tom S. It was pretty stinky
Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
They don't smell dead...it smells like their bathroom. DW says it smells like it might make her dead or if I don't find it, she might make ME dead.
Right now, I have my good arm in a cast, I'm thinking it oughtta wait till I get both wings operational, especially if I have to do open heart surgery on the furnace. If I figure this out, ya'll can bet it will be on here, maybe even on the front page.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
wish you were in town, I would help you with it. Good luck finding and curing the problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Thanks Ozz, if she gets on me any hotter about it, I might have to make that trip north and look you up.:-)
I told her to just get a clothespin, but she just has no sense of humor I guess.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Stinky is not in the game plan I guess...
Here is something you can try, turn the furnace on and set it at 80, leave it there for 4 or 5 hrs, it will dry, or 'cook out' the smell if it is in a section of the heater that gets hot, like the heat exchanger, or heater plenum areas. If it is in the return area it won't help. Check all of the return area good, if you haven't, you can access all of that area. I know your arm complicates this, but get that lazy son-in law to help
Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #13
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
I'd rather smell the mice than have him around it, I can't fix all he can tear up!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shotgunred10

I'd rather smell the mice than have him around it, I can't fix all he can tear up!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #15
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Well, I think I found it. Ya'll shoulda been here for the show. Right arm in a cast, left arm ain't got a clue, but I pulled out the furnace, got a spotlight and a mirror, tied my feet to the ceiling fan stood on my nose and finally found it under the kitchen floor somewhere. Got the shop vac out and crammed the hose down in the duct, then it quit! Pulled it back out, unhooked feet from ceiling fan, unstopped vac and started all over again. Finally got the nest and one petrified mouse,aka Mickey, out. The smell is still there, but getting better, I think, we might just be acquiring a liking to it. I would have provided a video for future reference, but I got all the camera wires wrapped around my legs when DW came in and turned on said ceiling fan(I think that was on purpose).
Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! so glad you found it. I wish I washere for the show.
Might find one of those odor neutralizers and spray it down there. Like I said, the heat will bake it out also.