Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
JimBob

M.O.C. #9370
Probelms with Cable TV

I have a problem that is isolated to using cable TV on model 3465 Aniversary Edition. Works fine on satelite and on board Antenna. Both TV are very snowy and limited channels only when on Cable. TV power boaster on or off makes no difference. Dealer can't figure it out and KEystone Tech support no help so far. Any suggestions anyone.

JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Sounds like you have a coax or connector problem either at the the booster or the cable end. I'd start by pulling the booster and connecting to the coax directly. That should narrow the problem down considerably.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Replace the connectors with the press on type. You can buy the tool and connectors at Lowes. The crimp type can cause poor reception.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
have to agree. cut off every connector and replace.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
When on satelite, are you using a portable or a fixed dish on your rig?
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
How are you connecting the sat? Are you using the same outside to inside feed connector for the sat/cable or something else? If those are the same, try a different cable [wire] to connect with and a different cable tv source. The bad parts are likely the ones that are not used when hooked up through the ant/sat or at a common junction point like a splitter or even the home theater unit.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Like Countryfolks asked are you conneting the satelite the same Place as your connecting the cable, cause if it works fine with Antenna something doesnt add up... Check behind DVD player and make sure the jumper wire on the on the wall outlet is in place.. i know when i use satelite i have to undo the jumper and put my tv to that outlet
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Don't know if this will help but I had poor quality reception on cable. The park tech told me it was caused by the antenna feeding a signal even though the amp was turned off. I put in an AB switch so the signal received by the TV was either from the antenna or from the outside cable but not both. This improved the reception.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
JimBob

M.O.C. #9370
Thanks again everyone. I am using a portable sat antenna and hook it to the same place outside Where I connect when I am using cable. I tried three different cables, and four different cable sources at four different parks. By the way. Both TVs work fine on cable if I run the wire direct from cable source to the TV. When on Sat I have to pull the little jumped cable so I can connect sat receiver and put it back in place when I go to cable. By the way, this is a very poor arrangement. My old rig had separate connection points and I could connect both cable and Sat and inside connect them to an A/B switch and choose what I wanted to use. I intend to rewire the cable/sat portion of this rig to where I bypass the splitters and have a sat and cable selection at both TV locations. I will then pass the wiring drawing to Keystone. They must have really been trying to cut cost to wire one like they did.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
JimBob

M.O.C. #9370
I want to thank everyone for their input. I posted this before but it never showed up. I got a wiring layout from the dealer for the RG-6 cabling and brought it home. The only common points are the cabling and boaster box. I pulled the booster box and low and I have some other issues also like the water heater works off and on when on electric heat. Dealer said they also could not duplicate that. I think it is the low temp thermo switch but will check that out also when I go to check the cable problem. Again thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
JimBob

M.O.C. #9370
Skip last post by me. Half of it did not show up and dropped mid sentence on three places.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
Curious if you ever found a cure for this issue?

I have a 09 3455SA that has a very similar problem. Both TV's work great via the antenna. But we went to a park that had cable TV, so I hooked it up. Same problem as you. I disconnected one of the legs on the amplifier in the closet, and the problem was gone. So I'm thinking that it is the amp. But, I've got a couple of issues that need to get fixed so I'm going to add it to the list for it's first trip back to the dealer.
gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The Keystone products we owned Cambridge 358 and the Everest 343L we were able to turn the Amp off by pushing a button. The 5er we have now we don't have a Amp per say but it does have a spliter. Since we know that you can't split digital signal I have remove the spliter in our last two 5er's. Now my RG-6 cables run directly to each HDTV's. If I want Cable Tv I have to switch cables. We don't use cable TV, we prefer Direct-Tv. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I guess you ought to tell my tv antenna and cable splitters that they can't do that to a digital signal...on second thought, don't tell them, cause they may stop working.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

Not sure if you checked this yet, but on my tv, I have to set the tv channel lineup to tv and then on cable, switch it to cable and the type of system. I get snowy channels when this is not set right. The other problem, is with the digital switch over, most systems (cable) now require a cable box and the signal comes in on one channel. I do know, our friends in a sob, had the exact problem and found the digital tuner would not work on their analog tv. He called me with the exact same description.

Steve
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Try a a different jumper cable, and also the connection on the back of the jumper connector going back into the camper
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
You can split a cable signal but you can't split a satellite signal.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
You can't split a satellite signal between the dish and the receiver in a normal setup. (It can be done but requires additional equipment). The signal out of the receiver functions like cable. When you connect cable to the camper, you inject it back into the camper wiring via the small u shaped jumper. We have had trouble at this connect point in some units. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote