Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Finally had to do it!

I finally winterized the Monty today. I only used 4-gal of the pink stuff including dumping it in the fresh water tank and the washer. I went around to all of the outlets and drained them until I saw the pink stuff coming out.

I guess it’ll sit until next spring unless of course we want to go out and fire up the furnace and spend a little time in it. Nice to have it at the house for the extra room and convenience, may be tempted to go out in it some this winter.

On another note, does anyone have information on a flat screen being left in the cold all winter?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Your Flat Screen will be fine....just heat up the Montana and let the TV warm up close to room temp before turning it on.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
mine sit's in the monty all winter long in the northeast and we never have a problem.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You might want to verify the specifications for your LCD TV. The User manual will specify the lowest temperature for your LCD TV when it's not running (Storage temperature). This tends to be much lower than its operating temperature. Since you are fortunate to keep your unit at your house hopefully you can monitor it.

Steves is absolutely correct that you must know your lowest operating temperature of the unit BEFORE turning it on. You'll need to heat up the rig prior to powering it up or damage may occur.

All this depends on where you live, the climate, humidity, how the unit is stored (shed, cover, open, etc.) and how lucky you live. I live in the southern deserts of California where the evening temperatures can get down to the upper 20's, low 30's and this might be okay for an LCD sitting idle but it's too cold for using it. You might need to know these temps for other appliances like the refrigerator. I had a refrigerator in my garage that got toasted when the temp dropped below freezing and the garage was not insulated. That fridge was rated to run at no lower than 40 degrees.

May your winter be mild and peaceful...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I appreciate the feedback on the flat screen but for your information…after reviewing the owner’s manual I decided it would be best if I removed it and sought a more suitable storage temperature. The owners manual indicated it was good down to a “-4°F.” In our area it can get much colder than that. I also called the number on the Product Care Plan and they indicated that it should not be left in a cold environment at all. They said it could damage the screen or electronic parts. They also realized that people have left them in cold environments without incident but highly recommended that I move it to a more suitable location.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Bill,

Maybe you could mount it to your bathroom wall for this winter. Sure beats having to carry a paper into there !!

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote