Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Winterizing and the little white button question

I just winterized our new 2009 3665RE for the first time today.Everything went fine for the most part.However I thought the guy at the dealer told me to push the white button inside the winterize connect when done,and the fresh water connection to get a little anti freeze to come out.

I shut the pump off and disconnected the hose from the winterize connection and pressed the button. A little trickled out. When I pressed the white button inside the fresh water connection it was harder to push. I pushed until it came out. IT SURE CAME OUT. It didn't stop for a bit.

I was worried a lot of my anti freeze was lost in the lines so I hooked the bottle and hose back up to add a bit more pink stuff to the lines. Now it sprays out that fresh water connection a bit.

Did I break it? How do I fix this?

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
The tech. told you right but did not tell you every thing. You should have released the pressure on the lines by turning the pump off and opening a faucet first this way you don't get sprayed. If when you push in on the check valve (little white button) all you get is water it is OK to have some one turn the pump while yo push the valve in until you get antifreeze BUT STAND CLEAR WHEN DOING THIS YOU WILL GET SPRAYED if you are not. You probably did not break the check valve it may be dislodged. Just tap the valve and spring will re-seat the valve if this does not work you may need to replace the valve body.
IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IAMontana

The tech. told you right but did not tell you every thing. You should have released the pressure on the lines by turning the pump off and opening a faucet first this way you don't get sprayed. If when you push in on the check valve (little white button) all you get is water it is OK to have some one turn the pump while yo push the valve in until you get antifreeze BUT STAND CLEAR WHEN DOING THIS YOU WILL GET SPRAYED if you are not. You probably did not break the check valve it may be dislodged. Just tap the valve and spring will re-seat the valve if this does not work you may need to replace the valve body.

Thanks,I did have the pump off. However I did not open a faucet.The anti freeze flew out.I could not get it to completely reseat. Perhaps I need to replace it. Is there a special tool to do this from the outside, or do I need to get behind the access panel and take it apart to fix?
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
you can also blow air through the lines and pull the plug on the hot water heater to drain the water out. take the caps off your drain lines that hang down under the trailer.this will drain all the water out of your system.you dont did the pink stuff and you wont get sprayed.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
If you could not get it to reset there are 2 options replace the valve (about 7 to 10 bucks) or you can try to put the O ring back in place either one you have to remove the valve. if you want to try to replace the O ring let me know and I will talk you through it. In most cases you might get away with out using antifreeze as thor suggests but consider this are you sure all the water got out of the pump? What about any low or back flow spots where water will collect? What about your drains? Is your trailer parked level enough to get all the lines to empty? If any of these conditions are not dealt with and it gets cold enough long enough you will be fixing the damage. My best advise is you need to put antifreeze in the drains you might as well put it in the lines. You can then open the low point drains and faucets to drain the antifreeze. Also keep this in mind how much air pressure is to much before you do damage? the lines in your rig are intended for about 60 to 80 psi this is the reason for pressure regulators.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Ed - You are not alone. I did the exact same thing the first time I winterized mine. I ended up having to replace the entire water inlet/tank fill on my '05 2955 RL.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ok gang, you got my curiousity going now! How do you replace the entire water inlet/tank filler component? I've had the same problem as et2 but I've lost the little O-ring and can't get the spring and catch back on the pin either. The pin or valve keeps moving back so I cant get the keeper on it. I took the entire unit loose but could not get back to the clamps and connectors to get then off the unit, so I had to use my creativity to finish winterizing with some items from Wally World for the garden. Do I have to go in from the inside of the camper, where the filler area is and take that off to get to the connections? I do have an angled piece of carpeted area there to possibly get to that area. I have a 2004 2980RL. Any help would be appreciated!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Ok gang, you got my curiousity going now! How do you replace the entire water inlet/tank filler component? I've had the same problem as et2 but I've lost the little O-ring and can't get the spring and catch back on the pin either. The pin or valve keeps moving back so I cant get the keeper on it. I took the entire unit loose but could not get back to the clamps and connectors to get then off the unit, so I had to use my creativity to finish winterizing with some items from Wally World for the garden. Do I have to go in from the inside of the camper, where the filler area is and take that off to get to the connections? I do have an angled piece of carpeted area there to possibly get to that area. I have a 2004 2980RL. Any help would be appreciated!
Just remove the four screws on the out side remove a hoze clamp on the filler hose remout and caulk that is they it is on my 2955Rl
You can replace the complete assemble or just hose bib you have to be a little crafty
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Ron, on my 2955rl, the hose/tank fill is on the driver's side near the back of the large slide. Then, on the inside of the camper behind the rocker on that side is a carpeted box screwed to the floor. I imagine (and hoping) that it is in the same place on the 2980rl.

As previously stated, remove the 4 screws (outside) holding it to the camper. If you remove the screws holding the carpeted box to the floor, you can move it to expose the rear of the hose/tank fill. This makes it easier to unhook the old one from the hose for the tank fill and the city water connection and re-attach the new unit. After you have removed the old one, be sure to clean off the old caulk. Apply new caulk around the new one and voila, done!!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks John! That is exactly what I was hoping for! I had pulled the unit off and since I couldn't get the lines off I put it back on and recaulked it! SOOOOOO now I can take it off again and take care of the little bugger for good! Just hope not that I don't loose all my pinks stuff but if I do, I guess I can put more in. It's better than having to replace all the water lines and that could be REAL hard to do! Thanks again and see you on the road!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
Don't worry about losing the pink stuff once you have ran it through your lines you can open your low point drains to let it back out. you have to run it through your lines to flush out the water oncr this is done you do not need the antifreeze any more. So if you loose some dont put any more unless you want to test your repair.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Forgive me if I am wrong, but once you have filled every line with anti-freeze then why would it matter if it all leaked out? I assume all the water is gone.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote