Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Stanadyne

Anyone using Stanadyne in their diesel? All input would be appreciated...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just went to their website and am uncertain what I read. They seem to claim that their stuff is OEM approved by Ford and GM and others. I have no experience, but it seems that some lubricating additives are going to be needed with the reformulation of diesel fuels.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In the 11 years I drove diesel pickups, this has always been a controversial subject.
Some say, you must use this product for lubricity because the new low sulphur diesel fuel does not provide enough lubricity. Other's say the new engines are designed for the low sulphur fuels and you are wasting your money on additives. I never did hear that Stanadyne caused any negative problems outside of it's cost so yes, I did use it.
Canada has had low sulpher diesel fuel for many years, not sure if it is as low a sulphur content as the new fuel coming out in the USA.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
My Dealer sell Stanadyne, says it's the best lubricant out there. I don't know, My diesel mechanic is out of town for a few weeks, I'm going to have a long talk with him when he gets back.
Mo money Fred!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Please let me know what your diesel mechanic says. I am most interested.....

Don,
Everyone I talk to pretty much says the same thing as you. I am looking at switching over to a more cost effective additive.

Stiles,
I feel that way every time I read another website on this new ULSD fuel.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have used it for close to a year. Truck has only 25000 mile on it so I can't say if it works for the long run? About increased fuel mileage it's to close to call. BUT I do use a water separating filter prefilter and after using Stanadyne the filter has not contained any water. I do use the best diesel I can find in my area and also when I'm on the road. This is after 15000 miles of using Stanadyne.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Stanadyne isn't marketed much in the south central Kansas area, but just a note on the "Power Service" diesel supplement carried by Walmart for $14.99/2.8L jug ... Autozone (auto parts store) sells it for $13.29/2.8L jug and Tractor Supply sells it for $11.99/2.8L jug. Another product made in Canada is Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat. It's being marketed around here at O'Reillys Auto Parts and Tractor Supply for $11.99/1.9L jug. Their website is www.howeslube.com. Both brands will treat up to 250 - 300 gallons.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I was using Stanadyne in my 2004 D/A until I saw what happened to the bottle in the back of the truck when it got really cold...turned to a thick gel! No way am I putting that stuff in my tank again. I use Power Service all year round.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
"We ONLY sell Stanadyne as it is the only OEM approved product by GM, Ford and Dodge. Depending on where you live you can get by using the Performance or JR formula, if you live in snow country get some of the winter formula too to stop gelling in extreme temps. Call us if you have any questions on it!! By the way most of their formulas have a lubricity add pack to help with ULSD fuel as a bonus they are also one of the first and maybe only one that is ULSD compatable."

Mark @ DPPI

The above is a reply to a post on the dieselplace.com.

Clyde
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I just bought some "Ford Power Stroke Diesel cetane booster & performance booster" at the local Ford dealership. That must suggest that it is Ford 'approved'. I also got a few bottles of Ford anti-gel additive at the same time.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote