Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
RamMike
Established Member

M.O.C. #28289
Best exterior cleaner for 2021 Montana High Country

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the best exterior cleaner I can find for my rig, also any suggestions on what to use to clean the awning material. Finally; what do you prefer for wax?
Thanks!

Mike & Lisa Dennis
2021 Montana High Country 295RL 50 amp Prog. Ind. surge protector
2021 Ram Hemi 4X4 CC TST 507 RockTamers Garmin RV780 GPS
RamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
treat it just like your car or truck wash and wax choice. i use mcguire and mothers wax

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Our Montana was treated with ResistAll when we purchased it. We are now going into our 4th year of ownership and the camper has never had any kind of wax on it, as it is still shinny as new (when it's clean).

With that said, first, mine has never been waxed, and the roof (Alpha system) has been cleaned and treated only once (a few weeks ago).

But, mine has had many baths.

Here's what I used, and have always used on all my previous trailers as well as the one we currently have.

1) awning: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not easy, but the results are great! Simply make the sponge wet (not dripping) and wipe the awning. Follow with a dry towel. If all the crud does not removed, wipe again (do not scrub, just wipe), and dry with a clean towel again. Do it in small sections and it's manageable. After it's clean, or if you do the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser when the awning is new, the black mold growth is greatly reduced. Minor touch up's through the Summer to remove dead bugs that get squashed in the awing, and you'll never have an unsightly awning. There's something in the chemicals of the Mr. Clean that KEEP it clean.

2) Road tar that splashes on the side, front, end: WD40. WD40 will simply melt road tar off. Wipe with a paper towel and it's all gone. It works fantastic on your car and truck too. It does not hurt or damage the paint, chrome, aluminum, or fiberglass. It's also good for removing splattered bug juice. Just let it sit for a few seconds before wiping the bugs off. But for road tar ... this absolutely cannot be beat.

3) Sides of the camper. Others will differ here in their opinions as everyone thinks they've got the best solution since the Beverly Hillbillies discovered lye soap! But for my vehicles and the sides of all of my trailers, for over 25 years, aluminum, fiberglass, metal, paint, .... it's always been a mild solution of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid is made to dissolve cooking grease. But it also dissolves petroleum based oil and grease also. (Think of those commercials on television where they are washing the oil slicked baby ducks)... It's true!

The reason so many folks do not like to use Dishwashing Liquid is because it does remove car wax also. It cleans fantastic... maybe too good. Rinse real good and hand towel dry so there is no streaking. Or wash with water that's that's been filtered through a water softener. I plumbed an outside faucet connected to the lines from our water softener, as we live in the country and have heavy iron in our water.

4) Tanks. You did not ask about your holding tanks, but you cannot over look them either. In time, they WILL smell. The easiest way to keep your tanks from smelling is to use lots of water.

Grey tanks or black tanks, drain all the contents. Flush with extra water if you have a water source and a sewage source. After draining and flushing, put about 5 gallons of water in each tank, add about a half cup of Dawn Dishwashing liquid (or Tide, or any kind of laundry soap ... NOT THE PODS) ... and take the camper for a drive. The sloshing of the soap water will clean the insides of your tanks, keep "stuff" from clinging to the side walls and top of the tanks, and make the contents easier to drain out. Once you arrive at your next destination, drain the tanks, or just leave the Dawn and the 5 gallons and drain when the tanks are full again. If you do this EVERY time you break camp, or leave home to go to camp, your tanks will never smell, and will always be clean.

Granted, the black tank will never be hospital clean. But the contents won't build up in the tank either. It will always flush out.

Others have different methods that they swear up and down work just as well, and probably they do. But for me, this has been my method for over 25 years and it still works well.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
To clean the awning spray a mix of bleach and water on it roll it up for about a half hour unroll and rinse it off repeat of necessary.
McGuires says their best longest last wax is their synthetic polymer. And it’s easy to use.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
LA's Totally Awesome (diluted) for black streaks
B&W Companion hitch
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMike View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking for the best exterior cleaner I can find for my rig, also any suggestions on what to use to clean the awning material. Finally; what do you prefer for wax?
Thanks!
Have you tried Meguiar's Hybrid Liquid Ceramic Wax? I used it on my black Ram truck. No swirl marks and is easy to apply and remove. I will be using on my Montana H/C. A friend suggested not putting it on decals.
Chief Brown is offline   Reply With Quote