Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
beliveauj
Established Member

M.O.C. #5114
Dome Sattelite

Has anyone insalled a dome and how hard is it to do yourself?Thanks Jim

beliveauj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Many of my neighbors have either the Kingdome or KVH Tracvision dome on their rvs. They love them and highly suggest them to anyone who asks about them. The one commom answer I got from all of them was "have your rv dealership install them". They have to drill through your roof and then seal up the holes along with running all the wires and so on. The KVH dome is on my wish list, but that wont probably come true till next year.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree with Montana Sky unless you are a real good handy man. A member of our local camping group who WAS handy attempeted to install one and totally fouled it up..Cost him much money to get it right.Would have been cheaper to have someone who knew how to it, do it. Another member of the same group has one on his Gulfstream and complains that he can't use it most of the time because of trees and other obstructions. I would like one but will stick with the outside tripod setup.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I installed a Tracvision on my 2955RL. In my opinion the hardest part of the install was getting the unit up on the roof. I do also carry a portable dish just in case but have never had to use it.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I would suggest you have it installed professionally unless you like water leaks.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the tracvision dome on our 3475 Montana. I had Campers World install it. I noticed, while I was on the roof, that they ran the wires thru the roof vent for the Ref rather than making another hole. It has been great. Our ground clearance to the top is now 13'2". I make sure I clear any overhead bridges as most are 14'. You can see it on my signature picture.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We have the Kingdome and our dealer installed it. I would also recommend for your dealer to do the install. We love ours but i do need to get the dish also for those times when we are under trees....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
beliveauj
Established Member

M.O.C. #5114
Thanks for all the help.After alot of study decided to go with Winegaurds Movin Veiw,and think I can install it but will run the cables in the frig. vent also.Jim
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Jim, just curious... what tipped the scales for the Wineguard? And what is the cost of the system?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have never heard of running the cables through the fridge vent. Will have to check that out, learn something new everyday. Have not made any decisions on if I am getting sat tv or not, but am thinking of going with the KVH tracvision R4 dome if I do. The profile looks like the KVH is not as tall as the Kingdome, and the KVH weights 33 lbs.

Les,
How did Blue Crick install your kingdome?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Sort of related. When we bought the Cambridge I had the Winegard automatic satellite acquisition system installed. The system we have does not have a dome. I wish it had. Also, the version we have is not gimbaled which means we have to have the coach very near a perfect level for the acquisition system to work. For a couple of hundred bucks more, we could have had one that self leveled and with a dome. In the heat of negoiation for the deal, I did not investigate enough. My solution in all of this electronic stuff : Get the best you can get, it will be obsolete soon enough.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I have never heard of running the cables through the fridge vent. Will have to check that out, learn something new everyday.
Montana Sky,
A lot of people on this forum have asked about solar panel installations. The refer vent is how the solar panel wiring is run down to the inverter. It makes any installation a lot better since no hole has to be punched through the roof (another possible leak). Just thought I'd add this info for you or anyone else that would like it.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Orv,
Thanks for the info. I did not even know that running through the ref. vent was an option, and I like the idea of not having to drill any extra holes if you dont have to.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
while at Myrtle Beach between Christmas and New Years we took our 5er to Camping World to have a TracVision dome satellite antenna installed ... when the tech came out and looked over our camper he asked why we picked the TracVision ... I told him because it had been on sale a couple of months back and the salesman I talked to recommended it ... when I asked him why, he responded they had a better one that was cheaper to buy, cheaper to install and much easier to use ... I asked him about it and he showed me the Wineguard Movin View ... based on his recommendation we changed our order and had the Wineguard installed ... sorry, haven't been up on top to see how they ran the wires ... the Wineguard uses GPS technology ... the tech set it for the satellite we use and when we get to a campground it only takes pushing a single power button for it to lock on ... have used it a half dozen or so times since and it works as quickly and as advertised, we are very pleased with it

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #15
beliveauj
Established Member

M.O.C. #5114
Went with the Movin View because I have Dish network and it's the best for that plus less input from me to have it work.Price from RV Parts was $969.99 with no tax and free shipping.Unless I find a better way will run it down from the top fridg.vent.There's 12volts plus only have to drill small hole from there into the entertainment center.Will have some cable showing outside but think it will be ok.If not will have someone run the cable for me.The hardest part of the job was trying to convince my wife as why we need it. Jim
Old 01-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #16
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Orv,
Thanks for the info. I did not even know that running through the ref. vent was an option, and I like the idea of not having to drill any extra holes if you dont have to.
Montana Sky,
Assuming your 04 3400 is similar to mine, you don't have a fridge vent on the roof. Your vents are in the side of your slide.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
kwbosch,
Thanks for clarifying that. I have been really trying to think where the roof vent for the fridge was??? I had thought they were on the side of the coach, but just could not remember. With the coach being in the garage and not enough room to walk down the side of it and I sure did not want to pull it out, I had made a note to myself to look into this vent come spring.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Montana Sky,
Just take a look at the pic you have posted, those two sets of loovers to the left to the window in the kitchen slide are your only refer vents, one at the top and one at the bottom of the refer.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill,
I knew those two vents were there, but I am still thinking there is a small circle vent cap right above the fridge on the roof as well. Guess it just gives me one more thing to think about over the next 2 months. =)