Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
elprofesor86
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Patterson
Posts: 37
M.O.C. #23243
Residency

As future retired long timers, 10-11 months on the road, we are looking to establishing residency in South Dakota because of all of the tax benefits etc. We own a home in California that we would use as our home base for the 1-2 months of the year we stay there. Do we have to sell our home in California to do this or is anyone else doing this? Basically, is it possible to establish full time residency in SD while owning a home in CA for part time residency?
Thank you in advance.
__________________
Dave and Linda Stubbs
2019 3730 FL
2019 F350 DRW
elprofesor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Gaston
Posts: 8,152
M.O.C. #12156
Yes it is.
__________________
Mike and Lorraine
2002 3655 FL, 2005 3650RK
2010 3665RE, 2015 3910FB
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
elprofesor86
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Patterson
Posts: 37
M.O.C. #23243
Please move this thread to "Longtimers"
Thank you
__________________
Dave and Linda Stubbs
2019 3730 FL
2019 F350 DRW
elprofesor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 4,596
M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprofesor86 View Post
Please move this thread to "Longtimers"
Thank you
Done as requested.
__________________
Carl (n Susan) Youngren
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
GreG L.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 198
M.O.C. #21993
We are Florida residents with a house in CA. We stay in CA for less than 6 months each year (not a resident), travel about the west from there, no issues. We even have a care and bike registered and insured in CA with no issues.
__________________
2020 Montana 3561 Legacy, everything except paint.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW, 50Gal Transfer Flow, Andersen hitch.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Ridgeville
Posts: 20,030
M.O.C. #2839
First do some homework on the difference between Domicile and Residence then determine were you want your Domicile to be and were you want your residence to be. You can be a resident in more than one State but normally Domicile in only one.

It sounds like you already have a Domicile in CA. We have our Domicile in Ohio but own a residence in Florida. Read up on it and make sure you meet all the requirements. You will still pay all CA taxes on your CA property.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
McRod
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 167
M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprofesor86 View Post
As future retired long timers, 10-11 months on the road, we are looking to establishing residency in South Dakota because of all of the tax benefits etc. We own a home in California that we would use as our home base for the 1-2 months of the year we stay there. Do we have to sell our home in California to do this or is anyone else doing this? Basically, is it possible to establish full time residency in SD while owning a home in CA for part time residency?
Thank you in advance.
Yes, it's possible. You can own 50 homes, one in every state, but you can only select one state as your domicile. Generally, it's the state you spend the most time in...

I'd say this year is a Mulligan due to COVID19. My residency/domicile is Texas, but I have spent most of the year in AZ. If I were to go by the letter of the law, well, let's say it's debatable if I am breaking it. States want your tax dollars, that's why they have "laws" that require you to establish domicile in their state after being in the state after a specific time, or accepting employment, etc...the step after establishing domicile is licensing and registering vehicles, thus beginning of taxation.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
McRod
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 167
M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
We are Florida residents with a house in CA. We stay in CA for less than 6 months each year (not a resident), travel about the west from there, no issues. We even have a care and bike registered and insured in CA with no issues.
Why would you register vehicles in a state your not a resident? Just guessing, tax and insurance in CA is higher than FL.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
GreG L.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 198
M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Why would you register vehicles in a state your not a resident? Just guessing, tax and insurance in CA is higher than FL.

They were bought there and as it turns out it's less expensive then FL to insure, the DMV even has our FL address as the mailing address. The truck other car and other bikes are registered in FL.
__________________
2020 Montana 3561 Legacy, everything except paint.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW, 50Gal Transfer Flow, Andersen hitch.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
McRod
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 167
M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
They were bought there and as it turns out it's less expensive then FL to insure, the DMV even has our FL address as the mailing address. The truck other car and other bikes are registered in FL.
Did you do the homework on that, or is that what the dealer who sold them to you said? I bought two vehicles in states I am not a resident in and the dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay to register them in my resident home state.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master
 
Ram Montana High Country's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: POINTBLANK
Posts: 1,089
M.O.C. #19944
How would an Escapee situation be for this situation? This would have the mail function.
__________________
RAM 19' DRW 3500 Crew LB / 2020 373RD HC
MOPEKA Tank Monitor / Furrion Side&Rear Cameras
Slide Toppers / EMS-HW50C / Sailun 85's
3rd AC / Dometic 320
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
GreG L.
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 198
M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Did you do the homework on that, or is that what the dealer who sold them to you said? I bought two vehicles in states I am not a resident in and the dealer wanted more than I was willing to pay to register them in my resident home state.

To register a car in FL you have to present the car at the DMV.
__________________
2020 Montana 3561 Legacy, everything except paint.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW, 50Gal Transfer Flow, Andersen hitch.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
McRod
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 167
M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
How would an Escapee situation be for this situation? This would have the mail function.
It's the same. Your escapees mail address can be used as your permanent residence address. That's how mine is done, for the escapees location in Texas.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×