Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
can you pull with a pullrite superglide

Has anyone out there ever pulled a Montana with a regular pin box with a PullRite SuperGlide hitch?

My sister needs her camper pulled out of it's current location and does not have the truck or hitch anymore. I don't want to harm our truck, our hitch or her camper.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
You must use a capture plate from pullrite. If you don't there is no way to move the hitch back when you turn and the hitch will turn on it's own (because there is no way to hold it in place)and cause a dangerous condition.They make one that bolts on. If you only need it once try local rv dealers to see if they have a loner. If not you can buy one from pullrite that is secured with 4 set screws and is easily removed. I hope this helps.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
you need a plate to put on her pin box or you WILL Messup your hitch
ck pullright.com for the plate
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, both of them above are correct. The special plate on your pinbox is what makes the superglide work. Sue's FW would have to have a similar plate in order for you to tow it with your superglide.

However, Pullrite has a new type of "capture plate," the plate that's on the pinbox. With this new "Quick Connect Capture Plate" the plate goes on and off with just four setscrews. Your capture plate has several screws and is not real simple to take off and put on hers. With yours you'd have to drill holes in her pinbox. But with the quick connect capture plate, you could just slip it over the pin and tighten down the four setscrews. The quick connect capture plate is made for specific pinboxes so you'd have to be sure to buy the right one.

The quick connect capture plate is about $95. I know because I'm currently in negotiations to purchase a superglide. And I'm going with the quick connect capture plate to make it easy to remove in case our Montana has to be towed by a non superglide.

As an aside, with your current capture plate you'd need an adapter for anyone else to tow your FW with other than a superglide. That adapter is something like $140. But for $95, you could toss your current capture plate and get the quick connect.

Here's a link to the quick connect. There's also a link there to a pdf showing which models fit which pinboxes.
http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_capt.htm
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Thanks all that is what I thought.

Steve we do have the adapter, we've had it for a couple of years now just in case it needs to be towed (ours) with a truck not equipped with a PullRite SuperGlide.

While we were mulling it over I remembered we have our original pin box that has the PullRite capture plate welded on by our dealer when we first got "Sky." MorRyde gave us the original pin box back when they installed the new Pin Box, wondering if we can mount our old pin box on Sue's camper? I know ours is a 2003 Big Sky 3295RK and hers is a 2004 3400RL, the profiles of the camper look the same. Do any of you think this would work?

Again thanx in advance. My sister is in a pickle and we need to get her camper and horse trailer out of it's current location quickly. She's got the horse trailer handled as she has a goose neck hitch in her dually. That just leaves the Montana to take care of.

Patty
Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
We have a Pullrite Superglide and love it. Our capture plate is welded so I had yo buy another plate that attaches over the capture plate so that I can be towed by a standard fifth wheel if necessary. I like the new version plate that Steve shows.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, both pinboxes should have a model number prominently on the top visible part of the pinbox. If they're the same number, then you could swap the pinboxes. If not the same number then you probably still could do so unless the mounts on the Big Sky are different. I doubt they're different but have not checked that.

The pinbox is heavy. It requires at least two people. One to hold it while the other removes/installs the bolts. Or maybe you have something else that can hold it.

I once tried adjusting the pinbox by myself by hitching up the Montana and then removing the pinbox bolts with a bottle jack to raise and lower the pinbox. That doesn't work. The pinbox swings on an arc with the pin at the center, so the holes don't line up.

However, you could probably get away with using that method to replace one pinbox with another so long as the boxes are identical in length, hole location, etc., and you want to mount the replacement in the same holes as the original. You'd just have to be sure you can remove the old pinbox from the hitch (shouldn't be a problem) and put the replacement into the hitch (see the manual for manually tripping the locking mechanism. Just some thoughts.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Well thank goodness my sister was able to get our local RV dealer to go get her Montana since it needed some minor repairs. Now she can move the horse trailer herself with her Dodge Dually. So all is well.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond and confirm my suspicions.

Steve thanks for the pin box swap info too. I was thinking pretty much along the same lines and your posted. Fortunately we won't have to go threw the rigmarole to make it work now. One more thing scratched off our very long list.

Patty
Old 03-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Steve are you negotiating locally or are you going to mail order it? I'm also considering a Super Glide (after letting my 3400RL kiss my 2008 Ford F250 SD crew cab last week - $450.0 to fix dent). Yep, I'm dumb, I even have a Reese Slider, ground was slick, didn't think I needed to slide it back, but, obviously I should have.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also have a Reese slider, Buddy. I just didn't trip the slider. My fault. Fortunately the damage on mine is so light you have to look closely to even notice it.

I negotiated by email. I sent emails asking for costs, to three different dealers. Two replied. The one I'm going with started out at the standard price and eventually negotiated down about $700. So there's room to negotiate. You can get about the same deal by buying mail order and then finding a dealer to install it. The dealers around here essentially told me to mail order the installation, too. You may find dealers more interested in making the installation dollars than those around here. There are very few dealers within reasonable distance of where we are now.