Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Fried Microwave...?

Wondering if anyone has had this experience. We we're connected to 50 amp power in a 5W park. Last evening while cooking some dinner in the microwave the kitchen GFI popped. The AC meter in a kitchen plug went to zero. The AC living room lamp went to dim and then out. Only had the TV, Micro, laptop, and lamp operating. Quickly turned off and unplugged the TV and laptop. I checked the fuse's and circuit panel all was OK, checked the Park power and it was OK. Came back in and reset the GFI and all ??//"# broke loose. The lamp went from off to dim to brite, the micro came back on then went off, the AC meter in the kitchen plug pegged to the far right past 130, and then the GFI popped again, power then went to zero. There was also a "clicking" noise in the area of the fuse and circuit panel.

I went out to the Park pedestal and changed to 30 amp power and all seemed to be stable.

Everything works except the microwave. The interior light comes on but none of the other controls work. I tied recycling the unit by unplugging it to no avail.

Do I have a "fried microwave....??

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Never heard of those symptoms. I did have a friend who wired his own electric at home for his motorhome. He wasn't thinking and wired it 220 and had some damage !!!

You need to have the park check their pedestal just to be sure it's not their hookup - to protect the next guy + it's better for them to pay than you.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jerry and Karen
Before you dump the microwave, get out the directions and see if you can find where it tells you how to reset. It usually is holding down two buttons for 30 seconds or so. We had this happen to the microwave in another 5er. We bought a new one and as I was changing the instruction book in our binder, I found this procedure. We did it and it worked. Our daughter got the old one and used it while at college.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Have you considered a power surge protector or were you already using one?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
The problem may be worse than I had anticipated, just spent the better part of the day on the phone with Apollo (Micro), Keystone, RV dealer where I purchased (NV), and visiting at Keystone dealers and service facilities locally.
Seems no one is exactly sure how these things are wired and what might have happened, not many definitive answers, It makes it more difficult when one is not sure what questions to ask either.

Worst case scenario (we think we understand) is that we got hit with a power surge that may have taken out the converter as well as the Micro. Have an Appt. to have it checked out this thursday and they have converters in inventory if that is the case. Better case is that the fuse in the converter is toast and can be replaced.
One dealer had a cavelier attitude for leaving the rig a "few days minimum", hard to plan for when in fulltime mode. Our dealer of choice said bring it in, if we can't fix it by 5 PM, pick it up and bring it back the next day.

Judy, we had considered a power surge protector prior to visiting in the RGV, I think Steve R picked one up at Don Wes, but, having not had any problems thought that was an expensive item that might wait a while. Looks like we'll be getting an Autoformer sooner rather than later.
Our concern was always low power not high power, guess we were surprised.

Our immediate concern is IF the converter is toasted were draining the battery as we speak and hope we have enough charge to keep the refridge and minimal lights and necessary functions going till thursday.

more later....

Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #6
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Update: Got the 5er back yesterday evening. The converter was toasted, as well as the micro. They replaced the converter and tested the system and components and everything is working as normal now, apparently nothing else was damaged. The Tech says I was lucky, at $600., I don't feel so lucky. I picked up a Surge-Guard ($340.00) at CW hope they work as advertised.
The Park checked out the pedestal, and naturally, claim that it tests out fine with no problems. We relocated to another site when we got back just to be sure.
Interesting note: the batteries (2) lasted from Monday evening through Thursday maintaining three led lights on the panel with no converter to trickle charge them. We we're trying to be conservative only using the 12 volt lights when necessary.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry, I'm glad to hear it's all fixed now, even though there was out of pocket expense. You and Karen sure seem to have more than your share of problems. I guess you're getting your share out of the way now and soon should have years of smooth sailing. Let's hope.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I will learn a lesson from your unfortunate experience. I plan on using my surge protector from now on.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We hook up the surge protector as a matter of habit. Nothing has ever happened to us but we witnessed a member of our camping group have just about every appliance in his camper toasted by a surge. we are going to get the autoformer for this camper since we will be spending more time in it therefore more chance for a low or high voltage problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote