Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Here We Go Again - IKE

Everyone on the Gulf Coast keep your eye on IKE. Right now in the Caribbean it is reported there is a storm surge of 18 feet.

We SHOULD be heading out of town Tuesday or Wednesday for a shake down cruise after DW's follow up Dr.'s appointment. Now I just have to figure out what direction to head in.

Stay alert and stay safe.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Come on up to Nebraska Wayne! We don't get the rain or the winds up here and the tornado season is over so you'll be safe! Bring a jacket with you and have a full tank of propane for the furnace because it is 59 degrees up here right now! Come on up and go to Husker Harvest Days here in Grand Island and see what the real farmer has to buy for the coming year! Where ever you go just get out of Ike's way! Sounds like this one could be a really bad one!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I agree, keep a close eye on the weather channel. Right now it's a little early to call but looking at computer models this morning show four of the six projected tracks headed for Texas. Glad that I evacuated 8 months ago, we're well ahead of the traffic this time.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Charlie

If IKE gets to bad, and you have to pull the rig out, and head north we have a spot with full hookup waiting for you or any one else. Charlie we are home now, some people don't stay home when they get visitors.

Rondo

You have to be from Ne. to know what Husker Harvest Days are, but I think all men & some women would enjoy it.
We are going to Blair for a wedding and the reception is in northwest Omaha. Is there any campsites in that area?

All stay safe.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Larry-
Thanks for the invite. We're now 300 miles inland and feel that this distance is enough to knock the winds down to an acceptable level. Think that we won't need to go anywhere.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Wayne-
Appears Ike is heading in your general direction. The latest (2PM) computer models have three tracks to the Galveston area and three tracks to the Corpus Christi area. If it's Galveston it's gonna be another huge traffic jam just like Rita.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Charlie,
Yep! But I can't get out 'til Wednesday, and maybe Thursday.
I do know some back roads out of here and I'll take them this time instead of the main highways. We got delayed when Rita was coming and it took us 15 and 1/2 hours to go 150 miles to Lufkin. Guess where there was a Cat 1 storm - Lufkin. Texas City had very little wind. Go figure. That was all in a car.

I figure to go up Hwy 6 to Alvin, 1462 over to 36 to points North by Northwest.

Also, it is my understanding that they will start the Contra-flow traffic earlier for future storms. What people don't realize is that Contra-flow eventually has to merge into non-contra flow. Talk about bottleneck!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I hate to say it but!!! GOD BLESS TEXAS keep IKE away from us.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Wayne-
Just a little heads up. We left three days before Rita as it originally was designated to hit Matagorda. I lived four miles from Highway 36 in West Columbia. Traffic was already starting to build coming out of LJ-Freeport but OK until we made it to FM1462 at Damon. Traffic was very heavy coming across from Alvin and points farther east and it came to a crawl. It took me over four hours to drive the 90 miles to Brenham. As hot as it was and pulling the Montana I prayed that I did not overheat the tranny at 25-30 mph. Once I was able to clear US 270 in Brenham I was able to drive the remaining 200 miles to Granbury in the same amount of time.

Even though there are ways to bypass Houston, it ain't gonna be easy if you hang around too long. I'll keep you in my thoughts, hope the best for you.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Wayne, you could go to Killeen and stop at the nco at Hood for a jd/coke! Lufkin is shorter, no doubt. Be safe. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
DW got her okay from the doctor today to travel after knee surgery last Wed. He gave her the sheet of exercises, which I know she will do faithfully. So, PT is on her own. We had planned on going on a shake down of about 100 miles, but looks like it's going to be further North, South, or East, depending on what Ike decides to do.

Dang! I hate these things.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And remember, today is the 108th Anniversary of the 1900 hurricane that took many, many lives. I guess this is the 100 year storm.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hurry up and reel that sucker in. I am supposed to land in Houston on the evening of the 16th. Flying 23 hours and having no place to land ain't fun.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #14
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Wayne-
This morning's projection is very favorable for the storm to miss your area. Estimates now are for the King Ranch area between Corpus Christi and Brownsville, the least populated area on the Texas Coast. Weather Channel's Dr. Steve Lyons last night was speculating that it might even go farther south into Mexico.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yippee Ki Yea!!!!

We should be able to run on up the road a hundred or so miles ad have a nice time. Might even be able to postpone a day for an installation of a base plate. DW was going to have to drive her car, but she has sciatica and was not overly enthused about going to far. I told here we could rent a car when we got where we were going, or just sit tight and enjoy the CG, wherever it was.

That 1/100 of a European descendant, where the men wear skirts, flared up.