Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #41
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Actually, LENGTH doesn't dictate what truck you need it's the actual gross weight of the fiver and it's pin weight and neither "require" a dually as long as you don't exceed truck specs.
May not "require" but it is the "safe" thing to get! I don't think anyone being honest on here would argue that the dually is safer to tow with. It might not be more economical and have a few other drawbacks, and you can argue those all day, but it is safer when you are hitched up towing and for anyone towing wouldn't you agree that safety should be the first priority?

I have owned both a single and dual rear wheel trucks. I could tell the safety factor difference even on a smaller/shorter/lighter 5th wheel much less our new massive unit. To me it isn't about getting just enough truck to pull the trailer, it is about getting a truck that makes me safe pulling the trailer. Considering the original poster has never towed in his life, being in a truck that makes him feel safe would, I suspect, be paramount! A ladder will get you on the roof but stairs will feel and are a lot more safe.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #42
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Actually, LENGTH doesn't dictate what truck you need it's the actual gross weight of the fiver and it's pin weight and neither "require" a dually as long as you don't exceed truck specs.
Correct, not every 5er requires a dually. Had one and never again. My 2016 F350 SRW does just fine pulling my 370 BR. All weights are under ratings. A dually can be required for payload ratings, so I make sure they will not be before purchase of the 5er.
No reason to feel any less safe in a SRW. Depends on the driver.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #43
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Many trucking companies will offer a course in driving. Driving a 18 wheeler has a lot in common with towing a 5th wheel
Backing a 53' trailer is easier to master than a 40' 5er simply due to the location of the trailer wheels. Never had a problem with the 53' trailer but often have a time with the 5er.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #44
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Lots of very good info. I would add; 1) An aux fuel tank extends your range so that you don't need to fuel up until you have parked the rig; much easier to navigate the cheaper fuel stations w/o the rig. Truck stops usually do not have the cheapest fuel. 2) Max speed should be in low 60s. There is no reason to drive the speed limit on interstates. 3) If you stop for the night by mid-afternoon, it is much easier to find a site than if you start looking at 5 or 6:00 pm. 4) Get a RV park app for your phone so you can make reservations as you travel. 5) If you can, spend more than one night at stops so you can visit with other RVers; lots to be learned as you go. Good luck.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #45
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Thanks to all for the great advice. We took possession and towed to a local state park with no issues (at night!!!). A friend backed us in and helped us set up. We later towed three hundred miles, most of which my wife drove! Again friends helped us with the breakdown and setup at the destination. So far, only one curb jumped (won’t tell you who was driving).

One of the many reasons we chose our Ford F-350 DRW long wheelbase was the 48 gal tank. We also love the tech including the cameras, auto exhaust brake, and adaptive cruise control.

So far, so good! We still have to learn how to back into a space though.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Agree with adhering to the specs DWD, SWD Pin weight is the spec most overlooked and least understood. Pin weight is part of the carry capacity spec of the truck.We pulled many a 5th wheel with single wheel drive and now have the dually. There is a difference.Like we have said We did not get two duallys to pull our Montanan's for the fun of it but because we needed it. There are many personal variables .Daily driver, fit in garage, fit in car wash, fit in bank drive through , hard to park and all true. If the specs are good not a problem otherwise your choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #47
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Dad View Post
Thanks to all for the great advice. We took possession and towed to a local state park with no issues (at night!!!). A friend backed us in and helped us set up. We later towed three hundred miles, most of which my wife drove! Again friends helped us with the breakdown and setup at the destination. So far, only one curb jumped (won’t tell you who was driving).

One of the many reasons we chose our Ford F-350 DRW long wheelbase was the 48 gal tank. We also love the tech including the cameras, auto exhaust brake, and adaptive cruise control.

So far, so good! We still have to learn how to back into a space though.
Glad to see you haven't had any issues with the new 5er. Also glad you joined the ranks of us that drive the duallys. You will hear a lot of back and forth on here about dually vs SRW. But since even your wife drives the truck apparently with no issues that fairly well settles the matter if you ask me! Go with what makes you feel SAFE never mind the folks that argue with that!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #48
lilpeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #19266
So I guess if the wife can drive it it certainly is easy. 20th century yet? You prefer the dually, we get it already.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #49
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Having been a commercial driver trainer for semi trucks I will say #1 backing is 98% set up. #2 don’t look into any mirror for more than 1-2 seconds, things change fast, #3 use ur co-pilot/spotter ( be nice to her too) and if she can’t see your face in a mirror, then you can’t see her. #4 and when in doubt, Stop, get out and look. Also a pair of walkie talkies can make communication clearer.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #50
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Having been a commercial driver trainer for semi trucks I will say #1 backing is 98% set up. #2 don’t look into any mirror for more than 1-2 seconds, things change fast, #3 use ur co-pilot/spotter ( be nice to her too) and if she can’t see your face in a mirror, then you can’t see her. #4 and when in doubt, Stop, get out and look. Also a pair of walkie talkies can make communication clearer.
Backing a 53' trailer with the wheels at the rear I found easier to set up and put where needed than a 43' 5er with a mid turning point.