Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
The dealer, (THE DEALER!!!) is willing to trade you straight across for the same year, comparably equipped trucks. What does that tell you???

Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
The dealer, (THE DEALER!!!) is willing to trade you straight across for the same year, comparably equipped trucks. What does that tell you???
It tells us like in most areas there is a bigger market for 3/4 ton trucks than 1 ton trucks and he wants to clear inventory an expensive used vehicle. It tells us OP has an opportunity to get legal.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The F350 SRW uses a much lighter rear end. The DRW f350 has a Dana 80 and the F350 SRW uses Sterling 10.5 they are not the same truck.

Source Ford Motor Company.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
You know, I've seen this discussion in one form or another over the past year or so. Yes, a 3/4 ton truck (any brand) has the same engine and trans as the 1 ton. And generally it can pull the same trailers, except at the extreme upper range. But the 1 tons (single or dual wheel) have different axles with bigger bearings. They also have different, heavier brakes. And just as important is the paper work that goes with it. If the numbers on your registration don't jive with the load you are carrying, and God forbid, there is an accident with injuries, the attorneys will be all over it. Your fault or not, they will pounce on the fact that you were overweight and make that the focus of the accident. Civil lawsuits can take as long as seven years to settle, and cost thousands of dollars.
Do the math, check the numbers on your trailer and purchase a truck to match.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
It tells us like in most areas there is a bigger market for 3/4 ton trucks than 1 ton trucks and he wants to clear inventory an expensive used vehicle. It tells us OP has an opportunity to get legal.
Maybe for people buying NEW, but in the used truck market, very few would care if it is 3/4 ton or one ton. Why does the dealer want to trade? It might be as simple as the color of the truck, but more likely, it is simple economics. Per Kelly Bluebook, the Silverado has a higher resale value than the Ford, so the dealer can make more money off the Chevy. Regardless, I would want a Carfax on the F350 before trading, because it raises suspicion.

With regards to getting "legal", unless he exceeds the GCVWR, he is "legal", in the strict sense. Liability is a different matter.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #26
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Maybe for people buying NEW, but in the used truck market, very few would care if it is 3/4 ton or one ton. Why does the dealer want to trade? It might be as simple as the color of the truck, but more likely, it is simple economics. Per Kelly Bluebook, the Silverado has a higher resale value than the Ford, so the dealer can make more money off the Chevy. Regardless, I would want a Carfax on the F350 before trading, because it raises suspicion.

With regards to getting "legal", unless he exceeds the GCVWR, he is "legal", in the strict sense. Liability is a different matter.
If you say so~~~

In some areas Chevy is preferred, like where I lived in OH near a GM plant. Where I live now, talking trucks, there are more Fords on the road than Ram and if we see a GM it is either a tourist or a contractor using it for work. Why do you think Kelly Blue Book asks for the zip code? Area makes a difference as well.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #27
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
Well I went and saw the truck in person. It was 2 hours away. It is nice and I like it. I found a few scratches that the dealer is gonna fix and drive to me house to see if I'm satisfied. It has a clean car fax and still has factory warranty remaining being it only has 20k on it. it isn't worth as much as my current truck so I got the dealer to come up on my trade. So they will be giving me a check for 2k if I do deal. At this point it is looking like a no brainer. I can go to a bigger truck with more horsepower and make a couple grand. In my area 3/4 tons move faster. The one thing I will miss is my fuel mileage while empty with my duramax. Could I get 15 or 16 outta a 350 srw or is it more like 12?
Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #28
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You don't say what mileage you are getting on your Duramax. But as I noted in my previous post (page 1), unloaded I get 15.1-15.5 combined (mostly city) and 19-21 highway (depending on terrain, wind, and how fast I am driving).

My insurance carrier started a new plan in which you (voluntarily) put a small module in your vehicle connected to an app on a smart phone to monitor your driving habits with discounts on premiums for good driving. Being more conscious of your driving makes quite a difference in mpg. Hard starts and stops in city driving and 65 vs 75 highway can make 2-4 mpg difference in fuel economy. I am neither an aggressive driver or one who putt-putts along. But I do try to be more aware of my driving habits now. So any other person may do better or worse than I do.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Duramax: Sounds like a good deal! But now you have to change your MOC member name!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I'm mostly about burbs at home little city and get 16.7 or so. Pulling 15k about 11 excluding mountains
Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #31
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
My duramax averaged around 17-18 but not uncommon to get 22+ going 65 or under on a long highways trip. If I only give up a couple a miles that would be ok. When I test drive the f350 it said 13mpg average but I'm assuming people who test drive it are not worried about it lol! I'm gonna probably pull the trigger providing the dealer has fixed the scratches to my liking. I plan on taking my family on line longer trips with the new Monty and would rather have piece of mind. I know stuff can still happen but I'd feel better if I did everything I could to avoid it. I Guess I will have to change my handle to powerstoke now! Lol
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
...I'm just wondering if I'm gaining anything but payload...
But that's what you need! Several have compared the GVWR of Chevys and Fords. That's not a good comparison because Fords are heavier than Chevys. When I was shopping for my dually, granted 10 years ago, Fords had heavier GVWR, but less cargo capacity.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #33
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
My duramax averaged around 17-18 but not uncommon to get 22+ going 65 or under on a long highways trip. If I only give up a couple a miles that would be ok. When I test drive the f350 it said 13mpg average but I'm assuming people who test drive it are not worried about it lol! I'm gonna probably pull the trigger providing the dealer has fixed the scratches to my liking. I plan on taking my family on line longer trips with the new Monty and would rather have piece of mind. I know stuff can still happen but I'd feel better if I did everything I could to avoid it. I Guess I will have to change my handle to powerstoke now! Lol
I cannot help on long highway trips with out the 5er. If on a long trip I want my bed and bath with me. I have rarely seen 18 - 19.5 near home but that is relatively flat with few stops and 60 - 65 mph, always with AC running here.
My neighbor just traded his '16 GMC 2500 on a '17 F350. He pulls a 12K boat to Fl and back and heavy equipment locally for his landscape business. Just returned from FL and said the Ford he liked better.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
Duramax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19941
Update- I made the trade for the f350. I have to say that I am very pleased with it so far. Having the extra payload made a huge difference pulling 5er. Not too mention picked up about 43 HP and 100 ft lbs of torque, you can definitely tell. I have been pleased with empty mpg about the same as my 2500.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #35
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
What do you get for mileage empty? This is also my daily driver and that's one thing I love about my duramax is my fuel mileage. I'm just wondering if I'm gaining anything but payload...
We are full timers and ours is daily driver for me and the DW. Routinely getting 17.2 empty around town with a little highway thrown in.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #36
Woody

M.O.C. #17303
Quote:
I currently own a fully loaded 2500 had crew with a duramax. I pull a Montana HC 352 rl. It pulls it well but I'm sure I'm at or over my payload for truck. I found a 2016 Ford F-350 diesel srw crew cab lariat with similar options as mine. They will trade me straight up. In guess I'm wondering what f350 owners think of there trucks? I love my duramax but wondering if I should pull the trigger. Looking for opinions! Thanks
I am surprised no one has suggested you get a Dodge with the Cummings diesel.
Take notice of how many "larger" 5th wheels are being towed by Dodge.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #37
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
To me it seems to be more of a regional thing. While some areas do seem to favor Ram, others seem to lean more toward Ford or GM.
Applies to 1/2 tons as well.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #38
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I guess it depends on where you are as a Ram is rare here pulling or not. We are probably 50% Ford, 35% GM, and 15% Ram. Few 1/2 ton Ram even on the road. I always found them the most comfortable ride but preferred something else doing any work. JMO.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #39
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Actually, the perfect pick up is a Cummins diesel and an Allison transmission.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #40
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
^^^ unless you want a REAL truck and buy a Ford! LOL!