Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
12 Volt Rocker Switches

Does anybody the source for the 12 volt light switches? I have one going bad in my 12 3750. I seem to remember a thread about them, but with search not working didnt want to walk through 180 pages one page at a time. Thank You

DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Any dealer of any RV brand will have them. I picked up mine at a salvage yard in Goshen.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Thank you I was thinking maybe somebody had resourced a better quality switch, like the replacements for the switch on the water heater. We use this switch several times a day and I dont want to have to keep replacing it. also noticed it seems to be a bit warm when it is on, not sure if that is typical with all 12 volt switches. In the S&B I know it would be an issue.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The rocker switch on my hot water heater has to be switched on several times before the light in it stays on. I got several rocker switches from the local Montana dealer, cant remember the price but they were cheap. Could not find a better switch that would fit in the cover panel.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I put a regular light switch on the inside of the Monty..just spliced into the power wire..leave the rocker switch in the on position and use the one on the inside to turn it on and off..
Lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
I found these a little more cost than others there really isnt much in the way of specs. Dont know how to tell if they are any better than the oem ones. http://www.burnstines.com/12-volt-ro...ted-ivory.html
Old 06-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Montana_14291
Established Member

M.O.C. #14291
If someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can get both the light switch, and the red illuminated light switch that are on the black panel, I would be very grateful, some of the light switches get very hot, and one has stopped working, and as for the red illuminated light switch, 2 of them have melted as they get very very hot, I am not to sure why they are getting this hot and hope it wont catch on fire, all the wiring seems to be ok.

Thank you in advance.
Montana_14291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maddy

If someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can get both the light switch, and the red illuminated light switch that are on the black panel, I would be very grateful, some of the light switches get very hot, and one has stopped working, and as for the red illuminated light switch, 2 of them have melted as they get very very hot, I am not to sure why they are getting this hot and hope it wont catch on fire, all the wiring seems to be ok.

Thank you in advance.
Maddy, if your switches are getting hot then they should be replaced as quickly as possible. The contacts within the switch must not be making good contact or the connections to the switch are not tight. I would suspect the contacts are going/gone.

The fact they are illuminated does not add to the heat being generated as the light draws minimal current.

If it is the water heater switch you are using several times per day I have to ask why you are switching it off/on so often.

Here is a link to some switches in the UK that might be just what you can use as replacement. I don't have one out of my panel so I cannot measure the cutout but you can check that. You may be able to enlarge the opening a small amount if the size is not exact. These ones look very close to the best measurements I can take without removing a switch.

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/5315-rock...-switches.html

The switch can certainly melt and your switches not working indicates they have bad contacts or the spring mechanism has been melted.

Get them changed before you have more serious problems.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Check out one of our members own parts website....he carries the switches...

http://ozzrvparts.com/MOCMembers.html

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Montana_14291
Established Member

M.O.C. #14291
Thanks all for the replies.

The water heater switch is ok and don't get hot, it just seems to be the light switches, the previous owner had replaced one of them which is a bit thinner in width, and longer in depth, that had melted, (I'm guessing that's why they changed it) and was what made be take a look at it when it got stuck and would not turn on, I got a similar one and that to gets very hot so i swapped it with the original porch light switch, and that to gets very hot, also the white coloured light switch for the front lounge gets hot, i checked inside of the switch and all looks ok, my only thought thus far is maybe its the 12v battery as I not long found out that the battery is no good and does not hold a charge, so I'm thinking maybe because of the on-board charger is always on, taking the place of the battery (I think when its charging its putting out 14vdc?) then maybe that's what's generating the heat, but that's just my first thoughts, I will get a knew battery when i find out the correct one for this Montana, can anyone advise me for this to? please.

(sorry for bad grammar)
Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
I would look for a short somewhere if the switched has melted. Not sure about the 14 Volts from the charger.

Thanks for the reminder Boomer Ordered from Ozz today
Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #12
Montana_14291
Established Member

M.O.C. #14291
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DAR

I would look for a short somewhere if the switched has melted. Not sure about the 14 Volts from the charger.

Thanks for the reminder Boomer Ordered from Ozz today
Thanks, I've put on a new battery yesterday so hopefully it should be ok, I will keep an eye on it.