Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
How do you aim AC vents?

OK, it's hot out there -- just about everywhere. We've been discussing what is the best way to aim the AC vents. We've been aiming the upstairs vents toward the downstairs during the day and toward the bed at night. Downstairs we can't decide if we should aim them at the outside walls where the heat comes from or toward the center of the room. We are happy with the AC's we have and how they cool, but are wondering what the optimum vent placement is.
Dick and Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would say you are better off pointing them towards the middle of the room. Way back in college when I had Thermodynamics (what I can remember of it but that is another story in itself), I learned that heat is transfered in one direction only - from the hot item to the cool item. If you are blowing cool air onto warm walls, you are warming the cool air before it makes it back to the center of the room. If you are blowing the cool air into the center of the room at least the air is being used there for cooling before it reaches the walls where it gets warmed. This sounds reasonable to me at least, but I have no idea whether it is factual. If only I would have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I do what Bingo does. There is something to that Thermodynamics stuff. Plus when it's hot I don't hug the walls, I move more to the center of the room and lie on the sofa or floor if I can since heat rises.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Our bedroom is usually much cooler than the rest of the rig...smaller area, I guess. We set a small fan at the top of the steps pointing toward the rear of the RV. It brings some of the extra cool air from the bedroom to everywhere else.

On edit...I also put covers over all heat vents and over the furnace air return under the steps. ALL leak hot air in the summer.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As stated. Not at the walls. Also, closing the curtains should help. If you have those "venetian" blinds, keep the convex side in. I know that most people like to have the concave side in, but that is not a good idea if you want to cool. The air will bounce off of the convex side, but will go through the concave side and bring the warm air off the window into the room. Also, put a couple fans in the room and let them move the air around. You will be surprised how much cooler you will feel.

Edited:
We are presently in Amarillo, TX at Oasis RV Resort and we are sitting here as comfortable as can be with the windows open and the AC turned off. It is about 70 degrees outside at 1845 hours. So keep all that hot weather where ya'll are.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know whether this is a good solution for you but thought I'd post what we did.

We got tired of having hot and cold spots and having to climb chairs to re-aim those OEM vents. So, for five bucks per vent we replaced them with vents that put out air 360 degrees. We got them at a Jayco dealer as they are standard equipment on some or all Jayco rigs but our Montana dealer now carries them as well. Installation is quick and simple. Simply pop off the cover, remove the screws and remove the retaining ring, leaving the interior parts (baffles?) in place so the airflow direction down the ducts is moderated. Mount the new vent. Three of the four holes aligned on ours and the fourth was close. I just used an electric screwdriver to run the fourth screw into the roof material. No drilling necessary. I did all five of ours in about 20 minutes. The newer rigs have more but it's still pretty quick.

These vents regulate airflow by turning them to screw them up or down. See pictures. There will still be a bit more airflow in the direction of the ducting but we no longer have the hot and cold spots and don't have to adjust the vents.

Once we got them adjusted as we want them we've not touched them again. We've had them in place for 2 1/2 years.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
OK, Bingo. Looks like you are the thermodynamic King. So we won't vent to the walls. Wayne, we don't have but one venetian blind, but will keep it in mind. Steve, really like your mod on the air vents -- we'll look for those. Thanks all for comments.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I like Steve's approach as well. They must have been overnighting in the parking lot of a Holiday Inn Express 2 1/2 years ago!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote