Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Low water pressure

WEe are inour new 3400 and have noticed something over the last week and a half that we have been in it.
The kitchen water pressure is very low, and if you are in the bathroom, and turn on the water and the wife is in the sower it is an immediate scream of where is the water!!!
No pressure. Our camprground pressure is excellent, and we never had the problem ion our 3280.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Rick

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would check and see what pressure you get from your holding tank and 12 volt pump. It sounds like a pinched line. Let us know and they we can suggest areas to trouble shoot. Also are you using a 45 pound restrictor?

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I suppose that the water pressure available could drop with more people plugged into it just like electricity.

I would be very tempted to fill the fresh water and run off the pump.
In that regard, the pump that came with our unit had that same issue, and I solved that with a 35 dollar accumulator tank.
Some more powerful pumps come with a recommendation to NOT use an accumulator, but they also draw more power and blow water out of the sink if you turn up the volume.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the CG pressure is good then the inside pressure should be good. We did have a kink in the lines under the kitchen sink causing low flow. We also went to a high flow regulator and that helped. Sounds like you have a pinched line somewhere..good place to start would be that mess behind the docking station.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Rick,

We are having the same with our new 3400RL. Look forward to see what you find to be the resolution to this issue. I did take the cover off the back of the docking station, like Rich said, and it was a big mess. I straightened the heater hoses out as they were very kinked...because they had weaved them in and out of the water lines. But I never found any kinked water lines back there. I will have to check under the island sink like Rich said and see if there is a kinked line there.

Do you guys know if there is a water flow restricter in the faucet or the trailer's water system that would cause the pressure to be so low?

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a restricter in the shower head. I guess my kinked lines were just easier to find.What I found was that the lines were a bit to long and instead of cutting them to size they just bent them till they fit.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Guess I'll do some exploratory surgery tomorrow if the weather holds.
Don't like to hear queals from the shower, hurts the ear drums
Ken, I'll let you know what I find.
Rick
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Even sand and/or corrosion in the little faucet aeretor screens can restrict the flow pretty well. That wouldn't/shouldn't cause the screams at the shower, however.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Whoopeee!!!!
I found the reason for low water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom sinks....Restrictors!!!!hre's a picture of the restrictor in the kitchen.. easy to remove andn the one in the bathroom is also easy to remove.

By removing this restrictor, THE LITLE CREAM COLORED THING IN THE CENTER OF THE PIC, that has a hole that is barely 1/4 inch in diameter you restore water pressure in the kitchen to an aceptable level.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
?? Why would restricted water flow out of the kitchen faucet cause a reduction in the shower? Seems like the opposite would be true - the restricted flow would help to keep flow in the shower. Know it has been a rough week with the rain, mud, etc, but What am I missing?

By the way, thanks for the pictures -- I need to take mine apart and get rid of that beige piece as well -- I've taken field showers using a bottle of water that gave more flow than our shower!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
The squeals in the shower were casued by the flow of water out of the faucet in the bathroom. It only happened once. There is a restrictor behind the aerator in the sink faucet also by the way. he toilet does not restricgt the flow, and the flow from the shower in our 07 3400 is great now. I don't know why, but it is.
Rick
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick - good find thanks!!!

We noticed the same on our 3400 maiden voyage a couple of weeks ago. I had already changed the shower head and hose, so that about shot me out of the trailer, but the sink was very low. (not after tomorrow - thanks!)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #13
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Rick,
Just got home and saw your post, great news about the restricters and their locations...nice picture too. Pictures always help. Hey, You have a much better shower head than we got with our rig. Or is that an after market shower head that you put on?

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Karl,

Rick's picture is the kitchen faucet, not the shower. There are a bunch of shower head replacements you can install. I'm on my third try, this one having a 72" hose instead of the factory 60".

Brad
Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Second the good info, and will definitely be tearing into the kitchen faucet tonight. Can someone give some more detail (perhaps pictures???) on removing the restrictor in the OEM shower head. Tried to find it before because of another thread, but obviously didn't know what I was looking for. Is it in about the same location (near the shower head) as the kitchen faucet??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
In the 007 3400rl the sahower head is one piece. I took the hose off at both ends, and found no restrictors at either end.
The onlny hting I couldsee was that the connector fitting is of a smaller diameter inside than those on the other fittings throughout the bathroom area. I also checked behind the infamous white bulkhead in the basement and found all the hose were routed very nicely, no kinks any shere! Amazing! Again I did find some fittings with smaller inside diameters than othners in the same area. I think they just grab a handful of fittings and mess with them untiol they find one that hooks the two hoses together that they want to connect
We're very, very pleased with this unit. I have chekced wiring and found no problems anywhre. Wherever wiring passes through any metal, there is a grommet made from cable covering. Overall quality is escellent, no loose cabinet hinges, no ill fitting doors, the 1/2 time is working just fine (hasn't blown up yet!). Call my world warm and fuzzy right now.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

I think the restiction in the shower head is built in. I changed the head with one from CW and wow, lots of pressure (using original hose).

Brad
Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There was a post some time ago about all these restrictors and we removed them all in the first week of ownership. Other problems with low flow were kinked lines and Regulators that lowered flow. Upon advise from post here we went to a "High Flow" regulator and we have good flow every where.. These kinds of post are what this forum is all about...
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess I'm just plain dense. No surprise there. When I pull the faucet head, which looks just like Rickety's, how do I get the white plastic part out? The restrictor is behind that?
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Took out the restrictor in the kitchen faucet and did not gain any increase. Primary culprit is 45 psi regulator, time to take Richfaa's advice and go to a high flow regulator. Live and learn!!! Rich, you hit the nail on the head about the value of this forum, priceless!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote