Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Holding Tank Update

Well folks, if you can believe it, I have holding tank problems once again. If you remember we just replaced our black tank due to a crack just above the outlet. The new tank order and replacement went very smooth and all is working great for three weeks. Now, as of yesterday, I found a slight drip and it appears that our gray tank has a similar crack . The crack on this tank is way up on top and only leaks when the tank is over 3/4 full. I have been using these tanks for two years have never had a problem. We have been stationary for some 4 months, and do not understand the cracks. Oh will, will keep you up to speed on any replacement issues. I do know, the black tanks has to come back out to replace the gray tank. Poor engineering on that one.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Any chance that the grey tank could be repaired with eternabond tape instead of being replaced?
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Any chance that the grey tank could be repaired with eternabond tape instead of being replaced?
I wouldn't try that because it would only be temporary. The outside texture of the tank won't allow the tape to seal completely. If you're going to "try" anything, I'd try JB Weld. That stuff really works well.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My under belly will have to be dropped when at the service center April 16 to repair the damage caused by Hydraulic fluid saturating the under belly due to the meltdown. Although the line melted through at about the middle of the docking station Hydraulic fluid is seeping out of the under belly from front to rear (no we are not losing any hydraulic fluid now) We will take a close look at all the tanks for signs of failure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I tried everything available that I could find on the market to repair my black tank...even JD Weld (even the underwater JB Weld) and it would not hold. The surface of the tank has too slick for anything to adhere. I assume it is from the petroleum base plastic the tanks are made from.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I successfully repaired mine last year with plumber's putty that comes in a stick (from Lowe's or Home Depot). I could not drill small holes at the ends of the crack like you're supposed to, but roughed up the surface with sandpaper and cleaned it good with alcohole and then worked to putty into the crack the best I could and then put a big blob on top. It still leaked a little, so I repeated the process on top of that and put on enough to actually build up the "boss" around the tank's opening a little. No leaks in over a year - I guess it's still temporary, though, just waiting to break again. I think fiberglassing it would fix it also, but it's such a pain unless you remove it!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
OV,
Sorry to hear about the gray tank problem.
We are STILL WAITING forthe correct Black Tank to arrive at the local dealer.
Good thing we are not in a hurry to go any place, or had taken the black tank out when they said the new tank was in.
Just when you think thing are all set another drip is found.
Good Luck
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Carlaon it is just one of the things you have to love and expect about RV ownership. It is just like taking you stick home and moving it around....take care.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Native Tex, I had a crack in my waste tank that I successfully (the second try)repaired with JDWeld. I had to take a roto tool with a wire brush attachment and rough up the area that needed to be repaired first. The JDWeld held on after that. I have taken two 2500 mile trips since the repair and have had no problems. I better knock on some wood now.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I second the JB Weld and roughing the surface before applying. I used JB Weld on our rental boats all the time and once repaired they never leaked again, The key is roughing the surface first and than be sure it is clean and dry before applying the JB Weld. To this day I still carry 2 packages in the front compartment.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
JB Weld has several different products.
http://jbweld.net/products/index.php
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Well, when you think things can't get any more screwed up, JUST WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have been waiting over two weeks for the correct black tank from Keystone.
Well today guess what!!!!!!!!!!
Now they want to me to pay about $60.00 to ship the wrong tank back and they will ship the correc tank.
Can you believe this.
I will start calling who ever will listen to me at Keystone in the morning.
This is BS.
Will keep you all posted
Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Well today is better.
Malonie at Team Montana, helped me out.
We were on the phone for awhile, trying to say which way the tank had to be when looking at it and where the outlet was, and that a # 295 was the correct tank for the black tank according to here plans.
Well, I said I would send her pictures.
I was looking through my pictures and low and behold there in one of the pictures showing the plumbing between the tanks on the side of the gray tank was the number #295.
I took the camera back under the unit and held the camera over the black panel and there on the black tank was #294.
Just got an e-mail back from Malonie and she talked to her boss and they are sending me a BLACK TANK, #294.
So therfore, Feb build date in 2005 the gray and galley tanks are # 295 and the black are #295.
For future reference the numbers are on the outlet side of the tank, not the bottom.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes those on the line changes bite you in the ..you know where..Keystone needs to work on informing the proper folks on the changes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Got an e-mail back and the tank will ship tommorrow and Melonia is going to e-mail me the tracking number.
Now after a long time and alot of BS, this is what I call customer service.
Rich,
You would think that where I believe that almost all the Montana and other units with (3) tanks would be the same basic layout, year after year that the reference sheets for parts numbers would be correct.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Carlson that is great news. Luckily, my RV guy has had plenty of experience installing tanks on Montys. He told me right where to look when I ordered my blank tanks. In fact, I gave the data to him, he placed the order, and it seemed to get here quicker than what I was told by Keystone. I should have a status on my gray tank tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
WELL GUEST WHAT!!!!!
The new black tank arrive and it was the correct tank.
With all the parts and correct size hole saw, a friend and I tackled it today.
As said this is a job for two people!!!!
It went well, glad I had my my sawall with a long blade.
Put the tank back in with flex couplings, and supported the plumbing to the compartment floor with pipe hangers to take the pressure off the tank fittings.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I have developed a grey tank leak last week. I'll pull the underbelly to see what has broken or cracked..... If it's a crack I'll try an epoxy of some sort before I pull the tank.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #19
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
I too have developed a leak in my gray tank after nearly 3 years of full-time use. The leak occurs somewhere between about 1/2 and 3/4 full. I called the extended warranty company who said that repair/replacement is covered (as long as it is other than a fitting leak, which is understandable). Since I can live with the minor inconvenience for the next couple months, I plan to have my dealer check it out when we get back to Michigan. This thread has been a huge help. Thanks!

Thanks also for the input on JB Weld. I plan to pick some up and add to my spare parts, etc

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote