Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
Schematics

I am a new RVer with a Montana 2955. I asked the dealer if he had a wiring diagram or a schematic of the electrical sysyem in the trailer. He said he didn't have one and didn't think there was one!!!! I can't beleive they made these trailers without a wiring diagram. Does anyone know if there is one and where to get it?? Also a plumbing and gas piping diagram as well.

mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
A number of MOC members have contacted both their dealers and Keystone and the story is the same. They do not have nor do they provide a wiring schematic. If you find out differently please let us know.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Believe it...The Rv repair facility that repaired our wiring problem on our "negative execption" also said there were no wiring diagrams. . >>>>> edited by MOC Admin. RVWheels
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
There are no wiring diagrams for keystone or any other manufactures. If there is very few know about them. The one doing the wiring on a camper dose it the way he or she wants too,so no diagrams.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Having toured the Montana plant I think 4 maybe 5 times now I have observed that there seems to be some "plan" to the wiring because as you move from station to station and observe the same model the wiring seems to be more of less in the same place. Montana makes on the line changes which is a good thing but would be very difficult for the "print makers" to keep up with. My guess is that the wiring crew doing the wiring today or this week have the "plan" but it can change at any time. That is not a excuse for Montana not having the prints..just my guess as to why there are not any.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I sent a request to the MFG and was told there are no schematics available. I have just gone through the unit and layed out my own schematic as I have a need to work on the various systems. Some of the other MOC members have more experience and could come up with answers if you have specific questions.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I'm sure they have a set wire layout I'm sure the wire are all precut ready to be installed. I'm also sure this is all about job security for the factory and dealers to gain work!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I am a licensed electrician for 46 years and you won't find a schematic for your stick houses either. The prints just show the outlets and the lights, routing is at the electricians discretion.
I have done commercial and housing. Most of the time commercial wireing will give you circuiting but housing is different. Housing can change with electrician's discretion. I would consider any 5th wheel, housing.

If you want to find out the circuiting. Turn everything off except one circuit at a time and check each circuit with tester. Or turn on a light or whatever. Or PM Dustytuu and I will get back to you.
Don
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
I'm more familure with boats and they usually have at least a schematic for the electrical system as well as plumbing diagrams. If nothing else a "block" diagram. Thats disapointing.
mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
When you go on the factory tour you do find out that the 12 volt is on one side of the roof and the 110 on the other side. Remember a lot of the people that make these things have no electicity in their homes so they don't know about the diagrams. Ours had so much extra wire behind the circuit box I think the guy thought he was getting paid by the mile.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The factory tour is educational and should be taken by all who can do it. For the craftsmen among us , electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc it will be "educational"(applies to any RV manufacturer plant tour) The wires are not cut to length they are pulled off long reels.The guy who runs the wiring will not be the guy who does the wiring. Parts are pulled out of barrels/ shelfs and appliances are stacked at the station they will be installed at. These things are built by hand..the frame comes in station # 1 and the complete camper goes out station # (don't remember) maybe # 12. The Montana plant is idle on the tour but the Sprinter plant, right around the corner who's tour is 1 hour earlier, is in full production and exactly the same plant. I call it "organized Chaos" I am impressed at the quality of construction that does go into the Montana compared to other plant tours (this is one reason we have the Montana) Impressed yes..as a one time quality guy..satisfied...not even.To build a 3400 that would satisfy me it would cost @ 125K and weigh @25K lbs.Just to step a bit out of character here the Montana is "better than most" in terms of quality and construction..but could be be a great deal better...And,,it is not really Keystone fault but The standards set by the RV industry..If Keystone put the kind of quality that most of us would like to see in a Montana, and they could, Don't think they would sell many...folks would buy the Jayco Designer/ Forest River Cardinal..Hey..they look the same??? The truth is the average RV buyer primary concern is price not quality..