Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
How to get mobile Dish Network TV for dummies....

But, I am the dummy here. I have read posts and now I'm more confused than ever. So, a basic question:
Can I just buy a tailgater portable antennae (or some other brand),unplug & grab my Dish Network receiver from home when I leave, plug it all in, turn it on and have everything happening like I did back home?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mark,
Yes if the receiver is a 211k or 211z. The tailgater only supports those 2 receivers. Not sure about other portable antennas. What receiver do you have?

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Don't know about the Tailgater, but we used to do it all the time with another dish . It was a PITA to set up each time, so I would recommend a compatible self- locating antenna. Lots of ideas and clever mounting techniques here, a search will give you loads of info.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Tailgater is an automatic antenna that works with the 211k or 211z receiver to find the satellites. Connect it all together, power up, and it finds the sats.

But you can buy a manual tripod mounted dish antenna that will probably work with whatever receiver you have at home. But the manual one can be a pain to get aligned correctly some times, at least for me.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 AM   #5
bubbagulf
Established Member

M.O.C. #16090
We have used Dish Network at home and in a 5er for over 15 years.... love it.
In the last several years Dish has split our programming between three satellites making using a manual dish a major PITA. We bought a Winegard Carryout. It came with pin switches preset to DISH. Problem solved.
Simple setup
1. Place Dome where it can "see" SW sky.
2. Hook up cables (no power yet).
3. Turn on sat receiver, go to point dish, enter campground zip code and add power to Carryout. Ten minutes or so and your good.

Our Carry out is 12 Volt powered so we went to Wally world bought extension cord and 110V to 12 volt converter.
Local programming (Dish calls this "spot" beam) simple if your out of your area just a phone call to Dish but that's another discussion.
bubbagulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:48 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What everyone above has said, plus: If your receiver isn't one of the ones mentioned above call Weingard and ask them what antenna you need for the receiver you have. They are, at times, hard to get a hold of but when you do they are very helpful. They have antennas for everything it's just a matter of what you have and what you need. We are using a Traveler with a Hopper and one Joey so they can cover the whole spectrum.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I just switched from Direct to Dish.

I had them install the fixed antenna at the house and install the receiver. I had them bring a second receiver and a Dish Tailgater when they came out to do the house install.

They activated the house receiver but not the second one. I figured I would do that when we left for the winter. Since both receivers were the same model number, I got to thinking, just bring the one that is already activated, saving the second receiver charge.

So we get to the RV Park, hook up the Tailgater, plug in the receiver, it realizes it is connected to a Tailgater instead of the house antenna and it asks what state I am in. It then goes thru about 5-10 minutes of finding it's self and downloading program guides.

You then call 1-800 and punch 2 for technical service. Tell them to change your service zip code, and poof, you now get the locals for the area you are in.

I still have not activated my 2nd receiver. May return it when we get home next spring, Or just keep it for a spare. Only cost $49.95.

This Tailgater thing is just too simple to use, the Customer Service with Dish is excellent, they understand RVers move around. Direct has movable antennas, but are more expensive than the Dish Tailgater.

My receivers are VIP211k models.

So to answer the OP's question, if you have a 211 receiver, yes, just take your home receiver with you. If you get out of your spot beam area, you will not get the locals, just call and change your service zip. We have our Dish bill connected to the cell phone number, and when you call, the caller ID @ Dish will pull up your account. Just too easy.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Tailgater. It is made for dummies. That's why I can use it. You set the dish outside, cut the receiver on, choose your state, and that is all you haft to do. You can tell it to scan but if you don't it will take about 5 minutes longer to find all of the satellites. If you chose the wrong state like I did in Wyoming, I chose Vieginia it will still probably still work.
I've had the Wineguard Carryout. The Tailgater is much simpler than the Carryout I had. Anybody even I can use the Tailgater.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote