Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good grief! Have you noticed?

How much more Lettuce it takes to buy the cabbage? We shopped for dinner today, (My turn at the stove) the portions are so small, the prices so large. I walked by the little vendor cart that had olives in it: $8.99 per pound. A head of lettuce was so small, and it was $1.20 Meat? Wow.
Where will it go from here, and what will we do when it does. I bet it costs twice what it did to shop for groceries, as it did 3 years ago.
As we travel across the country, I see more and more family gardens, some modest, some even on a right-of-way. When we were biking here in Bozeman today, there on the bike path shoulder area were families' veggie gardens.
And, as always the poor suffer the most.
It is tough out there folks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Almost makes you want to eat at McDonalds ... Naaa
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If ya want good meat prices run back home the first week of Oct. That neighborhood butcher shop/grocery on Parvin at the top of the hill west of 35 at the first light has their sale the first week of OCT. KC strips 3.99 a lb (ya gotta buy the whole slab) and rib eye for 5.99. Last year I got two slabs of KC strips for 72.00 all cut to 1 full inch. I didn't get the rib eyes cause I blew my meat budget on strips. But this year we will add one or two slabs of rib eyes to the budget. We hope to be out there the week after the rally. I had a Seal-a-meal and Betsy bought me a new bigger one for fathersday. I seal every steak and freeze them. The last load lasted us till March of this year. MMMM-MMM Love that KC meat!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
We're using more corn for fuel now than for food. It's going to get worse.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you are wright Pat. Putting so much ethanol in gasoline takes millions of acres of land. That drives up the cost of ALL food. The last price I saw for corn was $7.20 a bushel. I saw 350 pound calves going for $1.89 a pound. And the sad thing is it takes almost a gallon of petroleum to produce a gallon of ethanol. You gain almost nothing, and it drives up the cost of all food. If the American public knew what all this ethanol in gasoline cost the EPA would cease to exist.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, You are right about the meat in K.C., for years we had a Rancher supply us with a Corn-fed Angus for our freezer. I would find a buyer for half of it. I had most of the organs ground into hamburger, kept the tongue for sandwiches...that is until Sue saw a blade of grass on one, that was the end of that..
We found great meat at our local Sam's, bought it there for the last 5 years or so, don't know where that came from.
We just ran out of beef in our freezer we haul around. a chest freezer back by the desk where one chair was. We bought some at Walmart- hope it is good. (Wasn't cheap..)
Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Almost makes you want to eat at McDonalds ... Naaa
McD's now qualifies as "a big night out...."
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Corn or corn sweetener is in almost everything we eat. No one in Washington cares whether ethanol creates more pollution than it saves and uses massive amounts of water to produce because the whole issue revolves around the farm lobby. Trying to keep a restaurant open with these prices is as much of a challenge as trying to feed a family and have money left over for high priced gas!

Dick
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'm all for domestic energy production, but this is so wasteful. It gaines us nothing but higher prices for every thing we eat, from a coke to a cow. Who ever thought this up deserves the ID ten T award. When you spell it out ID ten T looks a lot IDIOT.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz and Dave-- Swing up to Nebraska and I'll find you some really good beef! We grow our own out at the farm and have a couple head in the fattening lot left that are not sold yet(we only fatten about 8-10 a year and pull them from our own herd and don't buy them to fatten) so if you want some let me know! We raise them on nothing but corn and hay(alfalfa and natural prairie hay). We grind the feed for them and add some molassas to the grinding of corn and alfalfa to make them eat more of the ground feed. They do nothing but stand around and eat and drink all day and pack on the muscle and marbling. EXCELLENT BEEF!! Besides the ground feed we have a haystack they also munch on and rotate both alfalfa and prairie hay in it for them.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
OZZ: This gal is concerned about the price of food. Or is it food stamps?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...persizing.html
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, in your travels you will find a wide range of prices for any given product, depending on where you are. Milk is a really good example. And the odd thing is, it's usually not cheapest in dairy country. It's strange.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is strange, but you can see trends, and the trend is UP!