Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
How do I LOVE thee DirecTV let me count the ways

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! We got a signal...we got a signal!! We took the dish out into an area next to the Monty that is very open and someone else had 2 dishes out already. While I was trying to plumb the tripod (the bubble was way off in left field) Dave got a HUGE signal....super fast beeping!!! I am now in the air conditioning watching movies on HBO!! Thanks all for your help. We got the elevation, tilt and azimuth right, but the bubble is way off. I just figured out that whatever works, well...that's what works!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
How many beers?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
2 Mountain Dews!!!! Now the question is how do we get NBC, CBS and ABC? The system tells us that we haven't subscribed. Whats up with that? I guess I have to call DirecTV. I have them on speed dial now!!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you took the satellite boxes from home you should get your local channels as normal *UNTIL* you move out of the range of the spot beam. Then you get nothing.

I assume you are not subscribed to the "Distant Network Service" (DNS) feature which gives you the NY and LA versions of the major networks? These appear on channels 390 and up. You have to have a mobile account (not a home account) to qualify for DNS.

Some folks have had success by calling DirecTV and saying they are at their other home/cabin/vacation house and would you please give us the local channels for that location. While this seems to work most of the time, I don't think it will work if you change locations every few days.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
I also have DirecTV at home and on the road. Although my Montana hook-ups are not working properly (I run the coaxial cable thru a window) I have found after getting a good signal the next step I do is go online to direct tv website. I go to tools and then to Reauthorize Your Receiver. I named the location of my DirecTV Box I use with my RV the patio. I click on that and instantaneously I get DirecTV. No waiting for the reset or an operator from DirecTV helping me out. This is pretty slick if you have web access.
Charlie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
So Charlie44,
Are you saying that to get you locals at wherever you are located all you do is go to the DTV website and manage your location via various settings you can do by yourself? No need to call and have someone do it for you? Interesting. Thanks. Dennis

CasaDelSol,
So happy you got it working. You are already discovering some of what I was trying to say. What works...... WORKS! But the learning curve can be a cruel taskmaster!

Regarding the DNS stations..... As others have already indicated you need to get your DNS Waiver sent in to DTV. You can download the necessary paper forms and then fax them back to DTV. This is the fastest and most efficient way to accomplish establishment of your DNS setup.

There have been some recent changes in the way DNS channels can and are established and delivered. It is my understanding that if you are just now signing up for them then you will only get one coast. The coast will be determined your residence address. Since you are on East coast yours would be the East Coast feeds. But you might get both. There is some confusion about exactly how this new stuff works. Guess you will have to just try it and then let us know how it worked for you. Continued good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Dave called this morning and got the local stations sent to the box. When we are able to stay in a place for a few weeks we will do the DNS thing. Sounds good. I knew I had seen something about it here a while ago. Seems to me that the Sat people would tell us this when we sign up, but I am finding out that they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed!!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You can get both East and West coast DNS feeds. You just have to be strong and willing to pay extra for both feeds. We have had them for quite some time now.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

You can get both East and West coast DNS feeds. You just have to be strong and willing to pay extra for both feeds. We have had them for quite some time now.......
Actually Phil, the FCC changed the game last year. New subscribers can only get one of the East/West DNS feeds and it will be the one closest to their residence (I assume at time of install for a mobile account). You (and I) are "grandfathered" in the DNS program as we have had both feeds for a long time. And we get to pay slightly more for the privilege.

I was considering switching to Dish (as a new subscriber I would get a "free" HD installation where Direct wants big $$$) but losing both DNS feeds stopped me. We really like early Prime-Time TV!. Anything we watch is recorded on the DVR usually from the East coast feed (we are in the west). That way after dinner, we can watch our shows commercial free.

On an unrelated note - with so many of us shipping commercials the advertisers are moving towards "product placement" opportunities. Witness the Coke glasses on American Idol" and the Sprint phone event on Survivor. Soon there won't be formal commercial breaks, the entire TV show will be a commercial.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
'So Charlie44,
Are you saying that to get you locals at wherever you are located all you do is go to the DTV website and manage your location via various settings you can do by yourself? No need to call and have someone do it for you? Interesting. Thanks. Dennis'

Dennis I don't think that is what he meant. No you can not get the local stations by re authorizing your receiver IF you are out of the spot beam. The re authorizing works if at times all else looks good but you do not get a signal after you have moved. We found it is a good idea to re authorize after we have moved a couple of hundred miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
Dennis - Sorry to lead you astray - I might need go back to school and take a communication course! Rich is correct.
Charlie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Don't know if it will work for everyone, but right now we get our home local channels when we're on the road. Now a note to this: Standard Def locals no, High Def yes. Must be because the HD channels are on a different Sat that maybe can't spot beam. Don't know for sure, but at least we have all the major networks covered and if we want local news where we happen to be we use the antenna to get a local channel. I assume that sooner or later the HD locals will go away, but right now we're happy campers without the expense of Distant Network Service