Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Window in the door

It seems that the window in the door dosen't want to stay up. It keeps slidding down. Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it? I haven't tried to take it apart yet I just keep slidding it back up into place.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Clutch,
We changed our window a couple of years ago. Just take the screws out that are holding it in the frame. There are some pegs that hold the window in place. You should then be able to see what is happening. The screws may have worked loose and are allowing the glass to move. It is a fairly straight forward process.

Good luck,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We did the same as Dennis. It's an easy process as he says.

While we had our window out, we took it and had a piece of shaded polycarbonate cut to the same size and we installed that instead of the original window. It allows us to look out on that side of the Montana when the door is shut. We opted not to have a stained glass window or other design there.
For privacy at night, I just hang a towel over the screen door which covers the window.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As others have written, remove the frame, it is an easy task. There are four plastic pins that hold the window glass in place. The bottom ones have broken off and are allowing the window to slip down. The quick and easy solution is to turn the frames over. The intact pins that were on top will now be on the bottom supporting the window glass. The broken pins, now on top, don't matter unless the trailer is upside down. If so you have other, more significant problems.

Of course you can buy a new window frame assembly, with all four pins operable, at any RV store. But buy both half's (inside and outside) as there is no standard on the number of screw holes in any of the replacements and it is unlikely a replacement will match what you have already.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Thank you for the replies. I will take it apart today and hopefully just flip the frame over. I just didn't want to take it apart and end up with some duct tape and plastic. LOL
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
OK, job done. Tools required, one Makita with a phillips head, one phillips screw driver, small A-frame ladder for me, one sturdy ice chest for Sallie, minimun of four hands. Be sure and flip the entire frame, both sides so you will have 4 pins to hold it in place. Don't trust the Makita to put the screws back in tighten them by hand.

If I had to do it over and know what I know now I would have a 1"X2" foam block like what is in the door and have the glass rest on that. I am now thinking about getting a can of spray foam and filling the gab through one of the screw holes.

Thanks again for the advice.

On the plus side you can't loose the glass in the door as it will only slip down about an inch and a half. I had thoughts of the glass ending up in the bottom of the door.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Every RV I've ever owned has had this problem. Turning the frame over is a temporary fix at best. What I've done many times is to cut a strip of wood that fits the gap exactly and holds the window up. A good caulking on the inside of the frame will help hold the window in place while the other side of the frame is put on.

I'm thinking that foam of any sort will not last long if the window can move in the frame because the foam will get crushed over time. I strongly suspect that it's the window bouncing around in the frame that breaks the cheap-a$$ plastic pins in the first place!

R
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
MuddyPaws, I think you are right about useing a piece of wood. Hopefully this fix will hold up until we find the trailer we are thinking about getting. Just need to find the right one.