Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Water Leak inside on Dinette Slide

Our second time out in our new 2006 Mountaineer 336RLT and we ended up in a rain shower. However, while inside eating at our dinner table I noticed that the carpeting was wet just below the window. This is on the dinette / sofa slide. I got down and noticed that water was creeping in on the bottom of the window right where the black metal window casing and the wood meet and was the slowly running down to the carpet. It was coming from underneath the metal casing. It continued to seep in for about a 1/2 hour after the rainshower stopped. By the way, the window was closed during the rain shower. Above the casing the inside of the window was dry. I got up on the roof and checked on top and didn't see anything on the slide that looked suspicious. I am wondering if the window needs to be re-caulked?? I also checked all the other windows and did not see this problem anywhere else. It does look like there was a sloppy job with the factory caulk job. Any suggestions on solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you are still in warranty I would have the dealer recaulk the window. I would insist he remove all caulking before applying new, not just caulk over the top of what is already there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I'm with Steve on this one.
The window should come out, clean all caulking away. Reseal and be reseated in the trailer.
Not too unusual to get a water leak around a window, with all the flexing that goes on.
Good luck with fix.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Be sure and have them pull the window out and redo it. We had the same thing happen on our new 2950. After 3 attempts to fix it they finally pulled the window out and there was a spot with no calk. We have not had a leak since.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If they pull it, they should check to see if it is in upside right, not upside down. It happens, they get the window in with weep holes on top,not bottom.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol is correct. I think it was RandomLine who had nearly all the windows in his Montana stalled upside down by the factory.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You might have them check the top of the slide near the outboard edge. We had a huge leak that originated from the line of screws that are along that edge and never got sealed at the factory. Our water came in the outside wall of the over head cabinets and ran down around the window to the carpet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:06 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper, Bert and I had the same problem, but mine was on the inboard screws. I'll see if I can dig up my photo's. If not, go to my Link Ozz's mods, they are there. I used the self leveling roofing caulking.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here they are:
Slide leak repairs:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1416.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1411.jpg
Fixed:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1421.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1424.jpg
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we will take it in and have it re-caulked. I'll also check the top back portion as well.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
Ozz,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I've had no leaks so far, but I must admit, I've gone a little "crazy" with caulking everything! Ha! Ha! I remember when that happened to you. Glad it's fixed.
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Just to let you know what I have done. Contacted the dealer via email so I had something in writing. That way, If my caulk job does not work we can go further. Since they are in Pennsylvania and we are in Illinois, I decided to recaulk the window(s) myself. First, they are installed correctly as the weep holes are on the outside and on the bottom. I re-caulked the outside of the window. The original caulk job actually looked fine (a bit sloppy though). I slid the dinette slide out about half way to look at the Inner top set of screws hat hold down the metal piece. It actually looked like there may have been water coming in at that point since the roof was a dirty there and not in other places. So, I re-caulked the entire top where the roof meets the metal. We'll see if this does the fix, if not, we'll go to plan B. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Greatly appreciated. By the way, I've been over to the camper since I have caulked and the carpeting is not wet so that tells me that the problem was with the upper, rear part where the screws meet the metal (since the slide was closed).
Old 06-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jay and Beth, we will keep our fingers crossed for you.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We had a leak on our bedroom slide that was from the area where the roof meets the outer wall. The narrow strip of membrane that was used to cover the screws was not applied properly. It is ruffled up in two or three areas. I sealed the places with Dicor sealant, and stopped the leak. Dealer has material ordered for repair. They said they would replace the slide roof. I am going to go over it with the service manager before scheduling repair. I see no reason to replace the entire slide roof. They just need to remove the narrow strip, clean and install a new strip. I'll leave it like it is before I allow them to re-roof the whole slide. Too much chance of additional damage to suit me.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote