Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2018 Annual North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
2018 Fall Rally - Flag Disposal Ceremony to be held again

At last year's Fall Rally we held an American Flag Retirement/Disposal Ceremony to properly dispose of any worn American Flags in an inspirational ceremony.

We will once again be holding this Ceremony at the this year's Fall Rally. It will be conducted by a joint Honor Guard of the American Legion and VFW of Goshen, IN. It will follow the Meet/Great and Eat Opening Ceremony of the Fall Rally held on September 19th, 2018.

This Flag Retirement/Disposal Ceremony shows us the proper procedure in disposing of any torn, tattered or dirty American Flags. It is a very inspirational ceremony and we invite all Fall Rally Attendees to join us for the Flag Ceremony at the Campfire Area of the campground which is to the left of the Big Tent. You will see the campfire set up. We're hoping to get the Ceremony started no later than 6:30-6:45 PM do to darkness setting in.

If you have a torn, tattered or dirty American Flag you would like to have disposed of properly please bring it along to the Rally and to the Ceremony. We will collect them prior to the Ceremony and turn them over to the Honor Guard for proper disposal. Please limit it to "One" American Flag per unit!

If you have any questions concerning this Ceremony please post them here on this thread and I will try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you and see you at the Ceremony!

Ron "Rondo" Lichtenberg
Coordinator for this event

Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Good way to dispose of those damaged flags.

An alternative way is that many American Legion posts will also dispose/burn them too and how I dispose of ours, regardless of size.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
For just a microsecond I thought I was going to have to leave the forum when I read the subject line!! Thank goodness I read the body of the post and found out it was exactly 180 degrees from what I thought it was going to be!!!

Blessings on you for honoring our flag and country!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 07-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
For just a microsecond I thought I was going to have to leave the forum when I read the subject line!! Thank goodness I read the body of the post and found out it was exactly 180 degrees from what I thought it was going to be!!!

Blessings on you for honoring our flag and country!!
As a navy vet it amazes me that people do not under stand this procedure, but yet they have so much input as far as who and who does not deserve military benefits, retired, active duty, or at least served in the military and served their country rather than take advantage of their freedom and the people who did.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one that is tattered and torn since it flies most of the year .Saw the ceremony last year. We need a flag vendor at the rally.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
As a navy vet it amazes me that people do not under stand this procedure, but yet they have so much input as far as who and who does not deserve military benefits, retired, active duty, or at least served in the military and served their country rather than take advantage of their freedom and the people who did.
No you don’t understand. There have been so many crazies out there burning the flag in disrespect that I thought it was something about that kind of thing until I read the body of the post

Respect to you for your service. My father was a Navy. I only served in the Civil Air Patrol.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 07-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #7
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
I thought the proper terminology was "Flag Disposal Ceremony", which of course is burning the flags with honor.
Rondo, thank you for handling this event. Your time and efforts are much appreciated.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Old 07-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
I wonder if the VFW and American Legion there would be willing to put together a flag swap along with the retirement ceremony?

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Old 07-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike, I can try but it would be extremely hard to have the VFW or American Legion arrange for the flag swap since they would have no idea on how may flags would be coming in and how many to order. We don't know what the cost would be for the flags either. Realizing it would be a good idea but very hard to arrange. I will give it a try BUT don't count on it coming about. I'll post when I find out the answer.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 AM   #10
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Just a thought. If they have done a local swap this year they may have some leftover from that. My legion post usually has some.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
We attended the Flag Ceremony last year and I would like to make a suggestion. There were many people that attended and it was hard to hear what the American Legion members were saying. We could see what was happening, but would've like to hear what they said as well. Is it possible that they could have a microphone available to them for all to hear?
Old 08-02-2018, 04:26 AM   #12
lkmahanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #21967
May I please respectively ask you to change the name of ceremony from flag burning to flag retirement? Thanks
Col (Ret) Cory Mahanna (U.S. Army 1983 to 2007)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #13
lkmahanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #21967
Sorry respectfully not respectively
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here s a thought since we will be retiring flags some of us will need new ones how about MOC purchasing a few flags and selling them as a fund raiser. We will need a new one.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Rich, not until you send your photo to John for the Rally Book.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Closed Thread