Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Don't drive under limbs

While the subject line might sound obvious, my wife and I pulled into a camp ground at 9:00. The last thing I was thinking about were limps overhanging the main road. I ended up scraping the roof and the skylight over the shower. I will get the insurance adjustment today on a roof replacement and a skylight dome.

Just something else to think about.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
That just happened to another member and the estimate was around 4K for a whole roof replacement. Since his was near the edge they were able to stretch the membrane over the side past the rain gutter. It happens and that is the one reason I refuse to tow after dark if visiting an unknown camp ground... Dave P.S. A complete re-roof consists of removing EVERYTHING from the roof. Vents, ACs, sky lights,ladder, front nose(rubber goes underneath), and all the rain gutter. Before they can take the old roof off the rig. Then they reverse the process and have to seal EVERYTHING to finish.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Campground should have some responsibilities for low limbs that cause damage....let the insurance company fight it out with them. Suggest you take pictures before they trim the low hanger!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

Campground should have some responsibilities for low limbs that cause damage....let the insurance company fight it out with them. Suggest you take pictures before they trim the low hanger!
I agree with this also, I was luckier than you mine was at Sitkuew in northern Cal but I stoped in time I had to get on the roof of the monty to dislodge the limb, it would have done a lot of dammage if I hadn't cought it.
I hope your dammages will be few in dollars and repair.
I always carry some eterabond in my repair kit just in case now.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I would have the insurance company involved. We had pulled into a spot in Colorado but was unable to get out because of a low hanging tree limb... The campground manager said..you can make it..I said .. and if we can't you will of course pay the damages. He left, got a chain saw and cut off the limb.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Yes I would have the insurance company involved. We had pulled into a spot in Colorado but was unable to get out because of a low hanging tree limb... The campground manager said..you can make it..I said .. and if we can't you will of course pay the damages. He left, got a chain saw and cut off the limb.
Well I guess we all have to put in our tool list a pruning saw for things just like this.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Funny you should mention a pruning saw ... just before we last went out, I bought one with a extendable fiberglass pole that extends to 20' at Lowes for $40 on sale. The bonus is that I marked it for the height of the Monty and can use it as a height checker to make sure of clearance. I also picked up a bow saw for $9 ... they now have a permanent home in the Monty. We go to national Forest sites that aren't always trimmed up.

Quote:
quote:
Well I guess we all have to put in our tool list a pruning saw for things just like this.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
The campground where we are currently staying had a situation where a 5er got roof damage from a low hanging tree limb. They had a tree trimming company come in and trim all the trees. Don't know what the resolve was between the campground and 5er owner was. I think the campground bought a new roof.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I had the same thing happen a little over a year ago. It cost my insurance company $5500 to get my roof fixed.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The last visit we made to our local campground even after getting a reservation about a year in advance; we were forced to stay in a spot that I thought would be too tight because of a low limb. Since we had the opportunity to be there on other occasions before this particular trip, I had mentioned that I thought this limb might be a problem. Each time I mentioned it I was told they would put in a work order to check it. Not knowing if it had been addressed I called the campground about a week before arriving on this particular trip and talked to someone in the maintenance dept. I explained the situation and told them how much clearance I needed. They assured me they would look into it. When I arrived a limb had been removed. However, I think it was a different one than I was concerned with but I didn’t have any problems. When backing into the spot I simply got out several times and looked everything over really well. Sometimes you just have to be persistent.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Was coming in from a trip when we had the SOB TT. Driving rainstorm, so I was gonna just pull the cab of the truck under the carport. Forgot about that dadgummed basketball goal by the driveway! Just the right height it clipped the bathroom vent cap off. Boy, did I consider myself lucky!

We have lots of trees here in EZ Living Park in Rockport. Have to use extreme care pulling in or out. In fact, one fiver that left out after being here for some time required the limbs trimmed before they could get out. Park owner has a pole saw to do the job.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Speaking of such, I am still sitting in a NE Ohio KOA waiting to get the OK from work to head south and in pulls a well known tree company. They are going through the park trimming up everything for next season.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We tore our roof on a previous trailer and turned it in to AAA. They repaired the roof and then charged us with a 3 point at fault accident for two years. I think it was a 25% surcharge. They said we should have made the campground the responsible party.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote