Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #21
Jerry Key

M.O.C. #29033
Our cable that’s frayed and broken(hanging) is one that seems to keep the slide level . It’s not the one that operates the slide. But when we started retracting it wanted to “jack up” not going in level. Hoping to find a RV mobile service hopefully close to us. Dealers service wait time is ridiculous. By the way, nothing in the rv Montana booklet or online seems to show diagrams or parts lists. ��

Jerry Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:40 AM   #22
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
I have a frayed BAL cable on our kitchen slider. It’s the outside top cable. Thinking of loosening it to align it until I can get it replaced. Cable kit on order. How do I know which cable that is? Seems like it would be the In cable. When replacing cable do I need to concern myself with having the slider all the way open or is the correct length the same regardless of position? I don’t want to cut it off to find it’s too short. Couple folks mentioned spray adhesive. What are you using that for?
The video was great, thanks much for that. He uses a method of twisting the electrical tape around the cables and the puller helper when preparing to pull the cable through the wall. Is That the best method?
All the comments gave me the confidence to try this myself, so THANKS!
Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #23
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
cable is the same length in or out just a little slack when the other cable is tight. in the kit is a mesh sleeve that slides over the cable ends. kind of like those Chinese finger pull things. that is where you spray the adhesive to make sure it doesn't slip when threading it through and around the pulleys. When we did this I went out side and had my wife gently tug the cable to make sure I was replacing the right one, glad I did I thought it was the bottom turned out to be the top. after that it was an easy fix. just remember to run your slide in and out several time to make

adjustments. Also be very aware of how the truck pass each other and adjust those so they don't get hung up along with those pesky foam squares.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #24
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Repair kit

Anyone have a the link to the repair kit and the crimper thanks
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #25
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, some time has passed since this thread started and maybe we've all learned something new here. I certainly have.

We got ours back from the dealer repair shop. They said it "could" be 3 weeks after we drooped off the camper and they called 2 weeks and 6 days later. So, at least they kept their promise and I did have it back after 3 weeks.

So, I've been watching the new cable carefully, and noticed a few days ago it's starting to get some slack in it. I guess the new cable is stretching a little. So today I tightened it. And then decided to actually get a ladder, climb up and check all the rest too. Ended up tightening a second one.

So now I know. These will be on my routine check list now to inspect and just not take for granted and wait for another "boing!!!!!" to happen.

This thread was / is a great topic. I learned a lot, watched a lot of you tube videos and hopefully, I'll never have another cable break. But in the mean time, I'm going to order the repair kit and be prepared.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:34 AM   #26
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
I found the best option for the repair kit was on Amazon. BAL22305. Taking about a week to receive. Amazingly None of the local rev shops seem to stock them, with all advising back order and several week intervalI found the crimping tool on Vevor.com for $56. Same tool on Amazon was $74
Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #27
Nehringer

M.O.C. #28974
Why is this happening? That’s what I want to know. I’m about to replace a cable for the second time. Right after I replaced it, I noticed it was crimped in the same place the old one broke. A mobile tech checked it out and ended up tightening the cable. Now it’s fraying at the crimp. Crimp is in the top of the cable. Does that mean the bracket has to be moved up or down?
Nehringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #28
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
My problem is similar. Looks like moving the standoff bracket is a major job. I don't see adjustments, just the screws direct into the slide. I also don't see how the pullies would be adjusted, which I guess could be the other way to get them aligned and even. Faulty build in my opinion that I cant get anyone to take responsibility for.
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #29
Nehringer

M.O.C. #28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
My problem is similar. Looks like moving the standoff bracket is a major job. I don't see adjustments, just the screws direct into the slide. I also don't see how the pullies would be adjusted, which I guess could be the other way to get them aligned and even. Faulty build in my opinion that I cant get anyone to take responsibility for.
No, it’s not a major job. There are two adjustment slots and four “locking” screws in each bracket. Remove the locking screws, loosen the adjustment screws and move the bracket up or down. We’re talking like 1/4” in either direction. Doesn’t take much. The pulleys can’t be moved, that’s why the cable-end bracket has to be adjusted. But which way? I have to figure this out before I replace the cable. I only have one more cable left!
Old 09-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehringer View Post
Why is this happening? That’s what I want to know. I’m about to replace a cable for the second time. Right after I replaced it, I noticed it was crimped in the same place the old one broke. A mobile tech checked it out and ended up tightening the cable. Now it’s fraying at the crimp. Crimp is in the top of the cable. Does that mean the bracket has to be moved up or down?

Your cable should not have a “crimp” in it. You need to find what is causing that problem. You will not get rid of the problem until you do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #31
Nehringer

M.O.C. #28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Your cable should not have a “crimp” in it. You need to find what is causing that problem. You will not get rid of the problem until you do.
Lynwood
Yes, that is clear. It was actually the subject of my post.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #32
MCL&BRL

M.O.C. #31451
Like Jerry Key, we have a new 2021 Montana HC. Ours is the 294RL. Two cables on the bedroom slide have frayed--one has only 2 threads remaining. We cancelled our 2 week August camping trip to Muskoka area in Ontario in order to stay home and repair this cable issue so we will be able to camp in September. Our dealership couldn't schedule us for repairs until November and have only one cable kit in inventory.

Ordered cable kits from Keystone on Monday. Did follow-up Tuesday and got a different customer service rep. Have email confirmation of both phone calls. Made follow-up phone call Thursday only to discover that neither Keystone customer service reps from Monday and Tuesday had completed our cable kit order and nothing in transit to Ontario.

Have a local mobile RV technician booked for Aug 22. Hopefully, the parts arrive in time. Thinking that once the new cables are installed, they need to be aligned correctly. The cable is fraying while the slide is retracted and the frame saws at it while in transit bumping down the road. That's our theory, anyway.

We could do the cable replacement ourselves in future if we knew how to carefully remove the facia/trim around the inside of the bedroom slide so that we could get at the cable pulley system. Any good videos or suggestions on how to carefully remove this trim and put it back?
MCL
MCL&BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL&BRL View Post
....Ordered cable kits from Keystone on Monday. Did follow-up Tuesday and got a different customer service rep. Have email confirmation of both phone calls. Made follow-up phone call Thursday only to discover that neither Keystone customer service reps from Monday and Tuesday had completed our cable kit order and nothing in transit to Ontario.....
Waiting for Keystone is pointless. You can order the cable replacement kit from Amazon for $31.45 and have it tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cab.../dp/B00303EG7M

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #34
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
what carl said, i ordered a spare

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #35
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Waiting for Keystone is pointless. You can order the cable replacement kit from Amazon for $31.45 and have it tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cab.../dp/B00303EG7M

And once again! Carl for the win!