Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
Joanne Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29015
Michigan

we are going to be in Michigan for The last two weeks in August n first week of September! Would love suggestions of what to see. We fish, hike, bike, and kayak! Would love suggestions on the things to do n see! Love off the beaten path to places! Thanks!

Joanne Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Drummond Island - far east of the UP
Check all the campgrounds on Lake Superior

We love it up there - lots of waterfalls around Munsing
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We stayed at Lakeshore RV Park Campground just outside St. Ignace MI. Toured Mackinac Island (take your bikes, no motor vehicles allowed).
Tour Mackinac City.
If you get over to Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior you have to take a boat to see it.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Another vote for the U.P. Locks at the Soo, Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish point, Pictured Rocks at Munising, little bit of fun in Marquette (find out why a lot of students attending Northern Michigan U buy mountain bikes and kayaks and don’t go home during the summers), mountain biking at Cooper Harbor. Cooper mines at Houghton. Geez, rereading this, maybe I should get a job at their chamber of commerce.
We loved the summer we spent touring the south shore of Lake Superior.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We stayed at Baraga State Park for a week. It's a very nice campground, nicely located at the base of the peninsula that protrudes into the very middle of Lake Superior and the Northern most point in Michigan (which has some interesting history too, and the beginning point of US 41).

The drive from Baraga to Fort Wilkins State Park is beautiful. If you can get a campsite at Fort Wilkins State Park, you won't be disappointed one bit.

Copper Harbor is a quaint little town with a light house you can see, historic sites, lots of maritime information.

While on that peninsula also take the Brockway Mountain Drive and enjoy the absolutely 360 degree view of Lake Superior, and Michigan. There's a very nice parking area there. The road is a bit narrow, some chuck holes, but very drivable, and the view is awesome!

We also stayed a week at Wilderness State Park, near Mackinaw City. There was lots to see and do and explore there too. Fort Michmillimachanic State Park is right at the Southern base of the Machanic bridge. There's nice beach area there, lots of public park area, and a great town.

Travel farther South on the lower peninsula near Harbor Springs (check Google) and there are all kinds of opportunities for kayaking. I understand Little and Grand Traverse Bay is simply awesome for kayaking. I have a friend who love to go there for kayaking and a couple people I (use) to work with who have second homes in that area.

I don't think there is a bad place to go to in Michigan for camping. After all, it's called "Pure Michigan" for a reason.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Drummond Island - far east of the UP
Check all the campgrounds on Lake Superior

We love it up there - lots of waterfalls around Munsing

I'm from Drummond Island have a home there. The things you need to know before you go is. First the ferry. it will cost you to a lot get it across not to mention the long lines waiting as the second ferry is running another island until this fall as there ferry is in dry dock. second, do not expect very good cell phone service if at all. The third is the jeepers they now inundate the island to make it almost impossible to find anywhere to camp. along with everything is way over priced. save yourself the trouble as there are many better places to camp and a lot less people.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
We went over on a Sunday, when everyone was leaving, and came back on a Friday, when everyone was going over - so in both cases missed the traffic. Ferry was $44 - two years ago - we caught the leaves changing over there.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We worked our way across the UP on our way back to Upstate NY.

In no particular order:

Of course Mackinac island. We rented bikes as they said e-bikes are not allowed. We did see people with them on the ferry and they did't get turned away.

Straits State Park has good camping. Very close to the island ferry terminal.

The museum at Whitefish Point is well worth the trip. They have the recovered Edmund Fitzgerald bell.

We stayed at Tahquamenon Falls State Park and went to the museum from there.

Bay Furnace campground was fantastic. Really helpful hosts.

Miners Castle is worth the trip.

One final note. Michigan Park Pass. https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/buy-and-apply/rec-pp
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
Joanne Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29015
Thank you all for suggestions!
Old 07-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Furbabies3
Established Member

M.O.C. #19821
Go to the City of Houghton RV Park in the Keweenaw Peninsula. I am from Michigan and this is our favorite spot. You can explore the entire Keweenaw Peninsula on day trips from this RV Park. All sites are 50 Amp full hookup with cable TV. The park has about 40 sites, all back ins and most backs to the Waterway. You can get transportation to Isle Royal National Park from here, see the Northern Lights, pick beautiful Lake Superior stones and access miles and miles of beautiful beaches and water falls. Boat rentals and side by side ATV's to explore. a must see area!
Furbabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #11
Joanne Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29015
Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who gave me such wonderful information about Michigan. I appreciate you taking your time to tell me of the wonderful places to go. My head is spinning… I think I need a year to see everything. Will be up there for around three weeks so I’m sure we’re gonna have a full agenda !
Old 07-24-2022, 06:56 PM   #12
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Can’t go wrong with all of the previous advice. But don’t sleep on the lower peninsula, either, if that is in your plans. Sleeping Bear dunes, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Traverse City - all wonderful Michigan summer destinations. The Leelanau Peninsula is pretty awesome. Can’t go wrong in northern Michigan in the summertime.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #13
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
We're hoping the MOC has a GREAT LAKES RALLY IN 2023 - it might be in held in Marquette MI - we'll be doing some extensive camping up there before coming back to Texas.

What other island does the ferry run to??
Old 07-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #14
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
not sure what you mean: "But don’t sleep on the lower peninsula"

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:35 AM   #15
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
We just got back from a nice trip up there. I'd recommend stopping in petoskey MI. The park is gorgeous. All concrete sites. No mud. Very large sites too. Close enough to Travers city, and Mackinaw that you can have nice day trips. Beautiful area. I'll be going back.

https://www.sunoutdoors.com/michigan..._campaign=yext
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:30 AM   #16
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
And don't miss the Cornish Pump and Mining Museum in Iron City! https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Michigan.html