Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #21
Joanne Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29015
Thanks!
I have iPhone n hubby has android. He hates iPhone...lol.
We just bought a garmin and am trying it out.

Joanne Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #22
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Mary View Post
Hi
I’m a dinosaur when it comes to electronics.
My computer is not good. Thinking about getting a tablet to use for rv wizard. Does anyone know if u can use a tablet for accessing the same rv wizard stuff as with a computer?
Thanks
Joanne
I assume you mean RVTripwizard. That is a website so it is much more powerful and easier to use on a laptop than the app on a phone/tablet. I am a techie with over 60 years computer experience and generally find phone/tablet apps more difficult to use than a laptop and less featured. I just tried the tablet app and can't figure it out at all whereas the laptop app is very intuitive. In any case, good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #23
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
For those of you who have Garmin GPS-what size screen do you have? Neither myself or DW (and navigator) are techie's so I need one super user friendly and easy to see. I plan on mounting it on the passenger side so it should not interfere with vision out the front windshield.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #24
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjj View Post
For those of you who have Garmin GPS-what size screen do you have? Neither myself or DW (and navigator) are techie's so I need one super user friendly and easy to see. I plan on mounting it on the passenger side so it should not interfere with vision out the front windshield.
I would get the biggest, I think that's now 10". All the same as far as UI but available in 6.95", 8", 10".
If a newbie, the most important thing to do when you first get it is to make sure it is set to 'Shortest time' or words that mean the same thing and NOT 'Shortest Distance'. That is how people end up in Readers Digest stories. Shortest distance can take you down roads that you should not ever be on with a car let alone an RV.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #25
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
I've used Rand McNally (Good Sams) RV GPS for 8 years but they quit updating the maps so it's time to make a purchase. I know that Garmin makes good RV/Truck GPS' but they are expensive.

Before the Covid 19 shutdown, I had the RV Trip Wizard app and used the RV Life app on my Android phone to use the GPS function while comparing it to the R-McN GPS. I didn't have much time to play with it before the shutdown.

If I understand it right, the $49/year for Trip Wizard includes the ability to use it on my phone that has the integrated GPS function. How well does that work??

I didn't play with it much when I have the subscription, so I couldn't compare it well. But with the GPS's costing $500, you could get 10 years of RVTW including GPS routing for that.

If you learn to use RVTW GPS correctly is it a good replacement for a real GPS?
A couple things to consider. Garmin has a huge number of people keeping their maps current. A GPS does not need an internet or phone connection. I always have at least 3 different routing calculators, Garmin RV GPS, in car NOT RV GPS, RV Trip Wizard that I check the night before when I have internet and always google earth if any doubt as to safe passage.