Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
MORobb
Established Member

M.O.C. #26922
TV Front Hitch for Gen

Looking for people with experience

I am thinking about adding a front hitch on my F350 to use with a cargo carrier for my generator. I have a predator 3500 and it is too heavy for me to lift in and out of the bed. Don't use it very often, only when traveling more distance that we can cover in a day to get to our destination.

Anyone have any experience doing this? How did it go.

No, I realize that I could buy 2 smaller gens, but don't want the hassle for the few times per year we need it.

MORobb

MORobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:18 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I had a Ranch Hand front bumper on my 2 previous trucks - 2003 Chevy 2500 and 2014 Chevy 3500. I carried a champion generator using the front hitch receiver with no problems. I found a pic of the 2003 truck (white truck) when we had a truck camper. In the other pic you can see the hitch receiver on my 2014 truck (black truck). I had to use an extension cord to reach the generator on the 2014 with the 37’ Laredo travel trailer we had at the time. I wish I had one on my 2019 truck. You don’t have to worry about hitting a deer…the Ranch Hand bumper makes deer sausage and protects the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95B1CB99-5D93-4C82-97A5-1D95417FCD53.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	11172   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FCEB777-08B2-46B3-9E59-A62C1DBBF22B.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	11173  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I did wasn’t like what you are asking about but works great. I put a receptacle on the front of my camper with a short extension cord to the front of my truck bed. Then just leave the generator in my truck. You will haft to install a transfer switch if you choose this method. You can run the generator as you travel to cool your camper or stop for lunch. I installed a remote start on my Predator 3500 watt generator so I can start and stop it when I choose. They are only $129 and easy to install in less than 30 minutes.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #4
MORobb
Established Member

M.O.C. #26922
Well I ordered the hitch. I think I am going with the carrier on the front. Ordered a Reese/Draw-tite that bolts right on. We will see hoe it goes.

Lynnwood, do you worry about carbon monoxide with the gen in the bed of the truck/ since the predator exhaust out the back (in the bed) right under the front bedroom?

Robb
Old 02-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORobb View Post
Well I ordered the hitch. I think I am going with the carrier on the front. Ordered a Reese/Draw-tite that bolts right on. We will see hoe it goes.

Lynnwood, do you worry about carbon monoxide with the gen in the bed of the truck/ since the predator exhaust out the back (in the bed) right under the front bedroom?

Robb
No. My Motor Home 4000 watt Onan is in the back of the camper with the exhaust directly under a window. I have no worry. If you are worried get a Co2 detector that shows amount in the room in parts per million.
Lynwood
Old 02-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
Richcart
Established Member

M.O.C. #22427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORobb View Post
Looking for people with experience

I am thinking about adding a front hitch on my F350 to use with a cargo carrier for my generator. I have a predator 3500 and it is too heavy for me to lift in and out of the bed. Don't use it very often, only when traveling more distance that we can cover in a day to get to our destination.

Anyone have any experience doing this? How did it go.

No, I realize that I could buy 2 smaller gens, but don't want the hassle for the few times per year we need it.

MORobb

I have a 2017 F350 dually and added a Reese front receiver hitch that bolts on using factor bolt holes. I added a bike rack to carry our 2 E bikes. Each bike weighs about 60 pounds. We were full timing at the time so we were close to max weight on the Monty. With the bikes up front and fully loaded with fuel and stuff, the front axle was 90 pounds over the load rating. I couldn't tell any difference when driving other than the extra 3' needed in front of the bumper. I weighed on a CAT scale and all the axles were within limits, except the front as mentioned; and the Monty 500 pounds below the 16,000 max weight. Just a FYI, check your front axle after adding the load.
Richcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
I'm with Lynnwood on this one. Installed a front receptacle and a manual transfer switch and I just leave the generator in the truck.

Another positive is that the front receptacle has given us a lot of flexibility at campsites. We're at a great site right now, but I would have to move the rig forward 10 feet if I only had the factory installed plug. We've actually used the front plug more than the original.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneGreen View Post
I'm with Lynnwood on this one. Installed a front receptacle and a manual transfer switch and I just leave the generator in the truck.

Another positive is that the front receptacle has given us a lot of flexibility at campsites. We're at a great site right now, but I would have to move the rig forward 10 feet if I only had the factory installed plug. We've actually used the front plug more than the original.

How hard is it to wire up a front receptacle, if you don't have the generator prep package on the trailer? it would be nice to plug right in at the front of the trailer, instead of running a cord all the way to the rear of the trailer.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s not a lot of trouble. Just run a wire to your fuse box and add a transfer switch. I made a cord to the generator and you have use of the generator any time you need it, to stop for lunch for AC to cool your camper before you stop.
Lynwood
Old 02-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #10
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
I used this transfer switch:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This receptacle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Take your time and find a good spot to drill through the front wall where there isn't any framing. That's really the hardest part. . .there is a lot of frame work in that wall. You may also want to back up the hole with a little extra wood for support.

You disconnect the existing shoreline wiring where it enters your inverter/Victron/EMS and hook it to one side of the transfer switch. Run new wire from the new receptacle to the other side of the transfer switch. Then run a short length from the switch to where your lifeline used to enter the inverter/Victron/EMS. Flip the breaker one way and you draw from the original location, flip it the other way and it draws from the new front location.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:17 PM   #11
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Personally, I would never put something the size of a generator in front of my grill. It would block some of the airflow needed to cool the truck. Not to mention, screwing up the aerodynamics. On a hot summer day, especially ascending a grade, you need all the cooling you can get. Some older trucks are especially vulnerable. So now we will hear from a bunch of readers who will tell us they have been doing it for years and never had a problem. So, your choice.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:43 AM   #12
MORobb
Established Member

M.O.C. #26922
Some interesting thoughts. Maybe when I need to take the gen, I will move the bike rack to the front of the truck and put the gen on the back of the 5er. I don't think the gen a gas can will be more than the weight limit on the back.... More to think about.

Anyway the hitch is on the way so I have options