Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
taja1002

M.O.C. #27302
Retiring and Full Timing

Good Afternoon,

Yesterday was my last military flight and will be officially retired from the US Air Force 1 June 2021. I would like to know if there are any other retired military in this group that full times that could help with some questions. I have read a bunch of posts and tried to figure things out but being a military retired person there are differences. Thanks ahead of time!

Old 03-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congratulations on your soon-to-be retirement. Thank you for your years of service.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm not retired, but did spend 6 years in the Army (1982-1988). Even after 33 years I still have nightmares about going to morning formations and not having my uniform on, or being recalled into active duty, or returning to the post I was stationed at in Korea... for the 3rd or 4th time.

Even after all these years, those 6 years changed my life forever. I became very comfortable having unlimited health insurance (the Army just took care of you), a housing allowance or on-post housing, and a network of people at my disposal to help with any situation I found myself in. I never had to worry about getting fired, my company being sold out to another company, hostile take overs, how well my stocks were doing, or my 401K retirement plan.

The biggest adjustment returning to civilian life is the loss of a solid support group. Basically, in the civilian sector, you are on your own. You are a no-body. Your previous rank means nothing in the real world. You are treated like any other Joe Smuck. And you have no added privilege's because of your previous rank. The most you get these days, is a "Thank you for your service." Folks just don't understand the dynamics of the military that is a way of life.

That way of life is now over. You will be stepping into onto another planet. Hatred, prejudices, racism, divisions, sex identifications, religious preferences, financial and economic standing are hard things to deal with when there is no restraint from anyone or fear of Military Code of Justice if anyone throws any of these things at you. Social pressures to conform to thoughts and ideas that are totally opposite of military training, what you absolutely know to be true, and have to deal with bull headed, self-serving, ill-informed people who tell you you are wrong will challenge every fiber in your being.

These will be the real challenges you'll be dealing with. Basically, your loss of support system and the way of life you've known for so long. You are stepping onto another planet. Every decision you make going forward is truly your own. No one to tell you, "no" you can't do that. Or, "no" you can't go there.

On the other hand, RVing is a wonderful life. You will meet a lot of wonderful people. RVers are a unique community. Granted there are some bad apples that make things challenging for the rest of us. You'll run into the noise and lifts left on at night, smoky fires blowing into your campsite, dog poop that doesn't get picked up, but you learn real fast how to avoid conflict with these types.

A large number of people on these forums have been RV owners for a long-long time. Many are full timers, and many who still have their stick-n-brick house are still full timers, because RV ownership is a full time effort.

So please, go ahead and feel free to ask your questions here, or start new threads for each individual question (which is usually a better way than lumping them all together under one roof. You will get a wide variety of answers. Except for where we all came from, the important thing is where we are at RIGHT NOW. And right now, you are getting ready to embark upon a new life which we are all very familiar with. So feel free to ask away.

FYI, congrats on your retirement. And congrats on your choice to go full timing. You are embarking upon a new journey, and I'm sure it's one you'll absolutely love.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I retired from the Army back in the 90's but have only been full timing for three years.

My advice is:

Use FAMCAMPS to their fullest. They are cheap, you can't beat the security, and they are in places you often would never think about.

If you do intend to visit military bases know that carrying a firearm can go from denying you access altogether to being a royal PITA as every base can be different.

And congrats on your retirement.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #5
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Taja1002, we are retired AF (21 yrs) and FT for 3 years now. Based on reading posts on this forum, I know there are plenty of others too. Congratulations on your retirement and consider yourself "cleared hot" for questions. Fire away. Joe
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Army retired here.. Fulltimed 6plus years, and snowbird six months out of the year in Florida.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
taja1002

M.O.C. #27302
Thank you! My DH is a retired firefighter from Trenton (27 years), that retired 2 years ago and now I will be retired from the AF after 22 years. When I ask questions to military offices/support they have no idea how to deal with me because well lets be honest most of them are young and have no idea about full time RV.

We are on the "young side" (under 55) so one of my questions is I have seen RV Resorts (AZ) that are 55 and older. These places look amazing but is there a way we can stay? My kids (22 and 19) are not traveling with us...just my dogs. I know in NJ there are tons of places for 55 and older and as long as 80% or more are 55 or older then "younger" can stay.

Prescriptions - what does everyone do? Switch to a Walmart or Walgreens that have locations in every state?

Medical - I have signed up for VA healthcare and my husband has medical for all of us that is already paid for by the city and is a PPO. We don't need referrals etc, just go, obviously we have an online account to find "in-network" places.

I know this one people will have different opinions for sure - Residency...We are looking between Florida and Texas. At this time we are 75% sure at some point we will get a stick house in SC (most likely), however while we are traveling which state gives the most benefits? Which is easier to become a "resident" without having to constantly return to accomplish things like license, registration, etc.

We are in the process of downsizing to sell the house and will move our "keep" items to storage and my intention is to donate everything that I can to the Veterans program (has anyone had experience with them). I don't want to be donating to a program that is going to "charge" people for the items that I am giving them.