Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Speculation

We all have the speculation if were off the road and in a campground and in the process of setting up our rig that we are fairly safe from bad drivers. Wrong!!!

I had just taken the Montana off the truck, and moved the truck off to the parking area across the street and went inside to wash my hands when we were hit by a (@#*&@#$&*) young lady on the front right hand side. As I ran outside I see her (@$&*^$$# %^) girlfriend just setting inside her car, and not outside spotting for her!!!

At least her insurance is going to pay to have the front end opened up and inspected for any possible damage to the frame and landing gear. I had the landing feet centered on the plastic jack pads, and she moved the Montana two inches or more, when she hit us. Then had the nerve to tell me to chill out it was only an accident!!!

The camp ground gave her a different site that was a straight shot back in and she still had a very hard time getting the motor home backed in…

I’ve set here for a couple of days trying to understand how someone like this can get in the drivers seat of a large motor home and think they don’t need any help or training before turning the key putting it in gear, and just taking off with little or no concern about others on the road, or in my case parked, setup and minding my own business?

When we started camping years ago we had to sleep on the ground, then a tent, a canopy, two pull behind trailers then the first fifth wheel, now on our second. We had a progression of learning as we moved forward along with gaining some kind of knowledge of what we were doing when we hooked up to leave…

I can only hope that she will not injure or kill someone before she can gain the experience needed to handle such a large rig? I have told her insurance company that they should have her take some type of drivers training for the motor home before they have to pay out a large payment to someone!!!

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Really sorry to hear this happened to you.
It is absolutely amazing how unconscious some people are. Every day I see people who know nothing about driving CARS, yet alone a motor home.
It would mean more government involvement, which I'm usually against, but I think an endorsement on the driver's license showing the passing of a test in any vehicle larger than an SUV would be a good thing, even though, that I can see, a driver's license doesn't seem to show any ability to drive anything.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
So sorry you had this happen. Good news is no one was hurt. If the ditsy girl could run into something as big as a Montana, every pedestrian in the park was in dire peril. I hope your repair goes well and I would be seeking some extra compensation for stress and suppressing the urge to do something physical. I would like to tell this person to chill out while I kicked her @#% all around the campground.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sorry to hear about the "accident." And then they try to tell us that we older drivers are a menace. Man oh man, you'd think you were save parked in a campground on a lot, wouldn't you?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Bill we are sorry to hear of your "accident". Fortunately she had insurance. Hopefully the insurance company will treat you fairly and quickly.

Congrats on maintaining your "cool". If it were me, I don't know that I could maintain my cool after being told to "chill out, it's only an accident."

What CG are you in? Do you have any photos of the damage that you could share?

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear about your bump. We are glad to hear that no one was hurt. "Chill Out" is not the way to handle a situation like this, I would have done anything but chill out if they had told that to me. Take care and make sure that all is well with your Montana.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
wrenchtraveller said it better than me ..and in much better language!!!

I just watch ANYONE MOVEING NEAR ME. Hope you can find a good body man. GOOD LUCK.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
She was probably talking on the CELL PHONE and driving a red car. Wonder where these brainless wonders pass the drivers test? Oh yes, no child left behind and these will be our leaders of tomorrow. Scary!!!!
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, I guess nobody is truly safe in any situation. I just read where a small plane crashed into two homes in Florida. Five dead and all there were doing is being in their home. I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt in your situation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
I wonder if she'll chill out when she either has her insurance cancelled or her rates tripled!
Good luck with your repairs. I was looking at all the neat extras you've done to your 5th wheel and it's obvious you take excellant care of it. You've given us some great ideas on things we can do to improve
ours when it gets here.

judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Example of why i say that no one should be allowed to take a Rv out of the dealers lot without demonstrating their ability to operate it. By that I mean a special drivers test and a special endorsement on your drivers license.In order to drive a highway coach I had to acquire a CDL License, demonstrate my ability to operate one.(.anyone ever hear of a serpentine backup, try it sometime).and then be tested by the company I drove for. There are also several Federal, State and local enities that monitor my abilities....Yet....Anyone can buy the same type RV coach and drive it off the dealers lot without a single second of training. And I say again that Rv'ers are among the worst drivers on the road because they don't know how to drive the things.Evertone monitors "professional drivers" no one monitors RV drivers....
Sorry for the rant...one of my....don't get me started subjects...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Bill--very very sorry to hear that your home was damaged, to say nothing of the way in which it was damaged. I can imagine how I would feel if someone ran into our new home, particularly if they weren't even apologetic about it afterwards.

I almost stopped my post at this point because I'm uncomfortable addressing the issue of inexperienced RV drivers. I confess that I'm probably one of the least experienced drivers of a Montana. Before I drove our Big Sky off the lot, my only experience in driving something bigger than a pickup truck was driving a rented 32 foot Class A motorhome two years ago. I was surprised how comfortable I felt driving that rental class A--and how uncomfortable I felt when I started trying to maneuver our Big Sky. I agree that it is appalling that someone with my inexperience would be allowed to drive such a big vehicle without the state requiring some sort of drivers training and/or special licensing requirements. In my own defense, the first thing I did was go to a nearby parking lot where I could spend a total of at least 2-3 hours practice before I got back out on the highway. And there is never any chance I would back up the rig without Jo behind with a walkie talkie spotting for me. But the state doesn't know I'm doing that practicing or that I'm making sure I have a spotter. After hearing about the dingbat who backed into Bill's rig, I'm even more nervous about just who is behind the wheel of the other rigs around me!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
That is terrible! We NEVER back up without a spotter, no matter how short or long we have to back! You would have to put me in a straight jacket if that happened to our Monty. I am so sorry, I hope the damage is easy to fix and you don't have any future problems.

Although not our Monty, a guy backed into the side of my brand new car a couple of weeks ago. He had a large truck with a huge hitch that nailed my passenger door (didn't bother to look in his mirror). He acted like it was no big deal too, I know how you felt.

Good luck with the repairs and safe RVing!

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is why I don't drive the Monty. I would only do it in an extreme emergency. If I ever do decide I have to learn, there will be a lot of practice first. And I will probably never, ever back up. Pull thrus for me! LOL

Bill and Colene, I know how proud you are of your rig and all the mods you have made. I feel so bad for you but I'm so glad neither of you were not injured. Keep us updated on the repairs and if the insurance company doesn't come through for you, be sure and let us know the company.
Happy (try) trails..................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Bill,

I am so sorry about what happened. Your "cool" is definitely cool. I don't know that I would have reacted the way you did. Know one thing: anything built by man can be rebuilt but a man.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Bill--so sorry to hear of the circumstances leading to the damage to your rig. How bizarre!! Trust that all will go well with the repairs. Rich--we understand your point of view totally. David--we were in your shoes when we got our first Monty--and still get that weird feeling in our gut when backing (heck, even forwarding) in difficult places. And yes, Pat is out spotting whenever we are in a tight or tricky place. We got over embarrassment long ago--we'd rather be safe than sorry any day.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Thanks everyone, its going into the shop in the morning to have it checked out will let you know what happens with the insurance company after we meet with them at the shop!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Bill, folks have to pay cash for a tent. You can buy a Motor Home for 0 down and no payments till? That puts a lot of folks in a motor home. Maybe she had a tent first, and could not put it up so she traded it in on the motor home.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David started driving the 3400 in the proper frame of mind.. He was aware that he was inexperienced and drove that way.It is a crime that we are left to our own devices in order to learn to drive these things.It is not only the driving part but as those who have the CDL and drive commerical vehicles know..you learn about the vehicle..Ex..what is the stopping distance of your TV camper combo at 25 MPH, At 60MPH.We do a pre trip and not one we make up, does anyone who drives a air brake vehicle know what and where a slack adjuster is and what it does?? There are a ton of things the average RV driver does not know about his TV/ camper and there is no requirement to know anything. It is a crime. I trained folks to drive big things and RV drivers were the worst because they knew eveything..but in reality knew nothing. The soccer mom who had never drove anything larger than the family auto and was scared to death of that big ole school bus was the best student..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bill: First - my condolences on the damages done as well. I think I now some of what you were feeling when hearing the 'chill' comment; witnessed a couple of students discussing their 'accident' with a police office a week ago -- just amazing to hear them say "Oh no problem, my Insurance will cover it"; the other side "No sweat, I'll get a rental"; meanwhile I'm stewing because I had to wait to fill out a 'witness statement' because I witnessed the accident, but more so because I was seeing my insurance rates going up as well because of the overall insurance claims!!

As follow-up to Rich - I've driven large refueling tanker semis on a commercial airport flight line; semis and large 5-ton expando trucks in the Army; and now I still feel intimidated by the 5er hooked up behind my tow vehicle -- not because I don't know what to do but I'm out of practice. The number of people who tow often (ie full-timers and those who haul trailers for a living) are so few in comparison to those like myself who use the trailers much less frequently. I find that I need some time in an empty parking lot each spring (and sometimes late summer) to rehone old skills.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote