Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Propane detector wouldn't stop!

We took the Monty up to MD to visit family over Christmas. One night the propane ran out, followed by the furnace unsuccessfully igniting (20 degrees outside!), followed by the propane detector in the kitchen beginning to chirp away.

I switched over the bottles, started up the furnace, and tried to "fan" away any residual molecules away from the detector - but it would not stop chirping every 30 seconds or so. It was so loud, woke up DW and DD, had the dogs going nuts - all at 2 AM. There was NO detectable whiff of propane near the sensor at all.

I assume this is hardwired to the battery, as I could not find any breakers that control it (makes sense for dry camping). But disconnecting the battery was not really an option. I decided the best "quick" solution was to cut the power wire to the detector, which I knew I could reconnect later. Of course, I barely slept the rest of the night, wondering "what if I get a real leak"?

Long story, short qustion - in the future, is there a way to reset or turn this thing off if it is being super sensitive?

Thanks!

akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine did that once but not as bad as you had and I also disconected the Sniffer, just a question have you pushed in the reset button on the sniffer, that solved my problem, its the button on the unit and its also the test button just hold it down for a while it will beep and then shut off.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Since it is a 12v device, I would venture to say that if it was protected, it would be by a fuse, not a breaker. I think if you go and switch the battery disconnect off and then back on, that it would reset the detector. I don't know this for sure, but I thought someone on the forum stated something similar. It may be worth a controlled test, I also seem to remember that hair spray will set the detector off for testing purposes. Perhaps consulting the owners manual for the device would shed some light, I think there should be a small folded pamphlet with the other materials that Keystone provides that covers the propane detector. Keep in mind that I am suffering from a prolonged bout of cabin fever, therefore everything that I stated may be a delusion as well. Maybe some other MOCers can provide their real-life experiences rather than my suppositions??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I think it also chirps if the battery is getting low?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995

I don't know anything about turning the detector off, but I do know when our batteries (outside) are low, ours will go off. Very annoying I know! This may not apply to your situation. Just a thought.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Don't forget if you dog has a gas problem that will set it off too, for real!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
lol!! Yes our dogs can be deadly!

Bingo - great idea on the hairspray test. I will try that when I reconnect it.

We were on AC, so the battery was OK. But I know what you mean about it chirping when you flick the battery off or it gets low/has high demand on it. I could try that next time too to see if it resets it.

I did try the test button, but didn't hold it very long - I'll have to remember that one in the future.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

I think it also chirps if the battery is getting low?!
I think the propane sniffer is hard wired, are you talking about the Smoke detector, or when you are dry camping using the battery power on the monty.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Don - I'm talking about the propane sniffer near the floor in the kitchen. I was hooked up to 30 amp and getting good current according to my EMS.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ahhh, finally something I may have good input for:
I got a service call from the office manager at the local community center at a lake around here. I do all the HVAC Electrical and refrigeration work at the lakes' community center.
She awoke in the middle of the night with all her (hardwired) smoke-fire detectors, called the fire department and her daughter across the lake.
The crowd showed up, no fire, no smoke, so they un-hooked the offending detector.
I have been to this 'Goat Roping' before..
Combustion detectors, or smoke detectors, have different chambers to sample air for alert conditions, to make a long story short, if dust or a spide or some small insect gets in there, it will alarm.
Hers was above her bed, ceiling fan there also. The ceiling fan circulated the air around the detector, and into it; 500 times as much as it would normally.
I blew out the detector with a compressed air can (computer keyboard cleaner) dust flew out of it. I cleaned all the rest, nothing visible came out.
The offending detector will flash or hold red, the rest will stay green (in this brand) That is how you know which one has faulted. Because all will sound off.
So... Clean your detectors and you should not false alarm. Even the Propane detectors.
Life cycle is around 6 years, if you have detectors older than that, get new ones.
So there you go.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Just a few months ago I reinstalled the RV Battery to take the Monty out of storage and wailing began...Turns out the Propane Detector does that when it "expires". Ordered a new one online. Hardest part of install is the mounting screw that is obscured by the stairs, that one is still loose...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
ours did the same thing and a new one finally had to be installed. we tried everything to make it "shut up", blew it out, etc. finally diconnected it and had dealer look at it. they told me they dixed it, I opened up the doot to the Monty and guess what. I went to the technician and told him I needed him to check something--he got a funny look and replaced it
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just had a similar problem with the CO detector in our horse trailer. I had to cut the power wire to shut off the chirp. When I got home we took it to Camping World. The detector had failed and had to be replaced. Check prices if you have to replace. We found they ranged from $50 to $250 for basically the same unit.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Had that happen to us this summer also... We had to cut the wires and install a new one... Not an easy task. We found an experation date on the inside. Looks like they only last about a year so if you get a good deal on one buy extra to have on hand.. We got ours at Cad mping World in Flagstaff for around $70 if I remember correctly.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote