Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Black Water overflow

Does a 2007 montana 3400 have a sewer overflow.? I did it, I forgot to pull black tank handle while flushing and water started to pour out of the underbelly. I did refill tank after draining 2/3 full and no leaks. So I figure it has a overflow or I split the top of the tank. PLEASE Only respond IF you know there is a over flow. I sure am hoping so. Thanks MOC

ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is no overflow, other than the vent pipe to the roof, and overflowing it is not pretty. Sounds like you have a loose connection on top or as you stated, cracked the top, but I am leaning towards the first. The only way you will know is to drop the tank and do a visual inspection. Sorry to be the bearer of news that obviously is not what you are hoping for. The other possibility is that the tank spray line came loose and that is the origin of the leak, but I would think that would still leak when you refilled. Did you check the black tank flush to see if it is still functioning correctly??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There is definitely no overflow nor is there supposed to be one. There are two points where the effluent can overflow. The first point is where the sewer line goes from the toilet to the tank. Oftentimes, this connection can become a problem because the tank can crack at that point, the connections are loose and therefore will allow things to come out or some other failure between the tank and the trailer's internal sewer connection. Unfortunately this is a common problem and also occurs with the gray tanks too. No tank has an overflow!

The other place that this can occur if the tank and trailer sewer connections is in great shape is at the toilet. I had a friend that had this problem TWICE with his rig because the manufacturer plumbed the fresh water inlet near the black tank backflush and he was moving too fast, not paying enough attention and didn't notice that he connected the city water to the black water flush turned it on and left it like most of us do (but we connect to the fresh water inlet). I don't know how the water filled the black tank and came up the toilet seals, but it did. I am only repeating what he experienced. It took him days of cleaning and sterilizing since the "water" came out the toilet, down the hall and out the entry door. After the second time doing this he has since put up big labels to prevent this problem in the future. So far, so good.

Any overflow condition is unsanitary and will require some attention and extreme cleaning to overcome, especially with the black tank.

I personally know people that have had both these problems when not being careful enough during the black water flush process. For this reason, I do NOT socialize or allow interruptions during this time.

In your case it sounds like the connection between the trailer sewer line and the connection on top of the tank has failed and that's why effluent was coming out underneath the trailer. You'll need to drop the undercover, remove and replace (or clean if it's possible) underneath the tank. Look for forum posts about black tank leaks and you'll find all kinds of stories of what to do, including live with the crack at the tank inlet, and just never let it fill to full, but this might not cover when the toilet is flushed and the effluent enters the tank from this inlet.

I hope this explains things somewhat. While not a fun thing to look foward to, this has happened to many RVers.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I just went thru this with my black tank. Smelled bad for several months. One day I flushed it for long time, then closed dump valve to see where it would overflow, out the bottom of trailer or in the toilet. Well, it came out the bottom so I just had it replaced. Tech said it was cracked on the top. He replaced tank and added flex fittings instead of the rigid ones that Keystone installed. You probably won't be able to tell where exactly the leak is, (tank or connections), without dropping the tank. My suggestion is to get a Tech to look at it and have him suggest a replacement, if you have an extended warranty. They also replaced the silver "Arctic Insulation thingy", (yeah right).

I would not have wanted to do this myself, in fact, this park does not allow black tank repairs on site, let alone a replacement and bottom cleaning.

Good luck with your repair.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my sewer problem. I did not think it had a overflow, I was hoping though. I bet it cracked at the top filler the only way to find out is drop the belly and tank. Man did I learn the hard way. Never say it will not happen to me. I did!
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
You are not the frist one by a long shot. I would not bet to much that it will be your last time.
Just saying.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ljensen

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on my sewer problem. I did not think it had a overflow, I was hoping though. I bet it cracked at the top filler the only way to find out is drop the belly and tank. Man did I learn the hard way. Never say it will not happen to me. I did!
Welcome to the stinky leak club!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote