Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Kitchen slide drain leaking..

Leaking, because the coily hose came complete out of the connection. Came apart at the connection in red. Has anyone else has this, and how did you fix it.

I put it back together, but that is not a tight connection, and I see it happening again. It also appears to me to that the coily hose is to long as it's kinked in the slide out position.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200621_094806~2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	6622  

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Glad I have an older montana that isn't designed like that. I agree with your conclusion that the hose is too long. I would probably that it apart again and cut off some of the hose from that connection end. That should make for a tighter connection. Good luck with your fix, whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
What is the the old design? Could I convert this one too that? It appears that the issue is more with the piece that actually does the connection into the black ABS pipe. That is not tight at all...
Old 06-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
So is the sewer connection on the INSIDE of the trailer instead of the outside? That seems really dumb knowing how there is always a little drizzle or leakage.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear on that.

This is the sewer connection for the kitchen sink, and it has to be flexible, because our kitchen sink is on a slide, but yes, this connection is INSIDE the unit, and when it breaks apart, all the kitchen water goes on the floor!!!
Old 06-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
You can buy just the end connectors and re-attach it to the coilly hose. I didn't this when mine was leaking. Kind of tricky to get it tight.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 06-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
You can buy just the end connectors and re-attach it to the coilly hose. I didn't this when mine was leaking. Kind of tricky to get it tight.
I wish I had taken a picture of this before I put it together. The piece that is on the coily hose that goes into the slip joint fitting (the sewer connection) is tapered, and I just don't see how the slip joint is ever going to tighten around that.

It's almost like something is missing in the installation...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
OH, I see now that the connection is a screw on plastic thing. I thought it looked like a standard hose connection. Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 06-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
When i was referring to my montana I should have said that the sink is not in a slide! My diesel pusher did have the same setup that you have and did kink due to the hose being routed into too tight a curve and being longer than necessary. My connection never came apart and I shortened my hose to stop the kinking. The inner fitting should fit into the drain hose with the flat backside facing outward towards the fitting on the sink. That way it will expand the ridged tubing outward.when the plastic nut is tightened. At least that was how it worked in the motor home. The end of the hose being pulled tight by the plastic nut must be a flat square cut across the hose. If the assembly tech cut the hose with an angle to the end, it will never work as designed. Hope this helps you. John
Old 06-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
When i was referring to my montana I should have said that the sink is not in a slide! My diesel pusher did have the same setup that you have and did kink due to the hose being routed into too tight a curve and being longer than necessary. My connection never came apart and I shortened my hose to stop the kinking. The inner fitting should fit into the drain hose with the flat backside facing outward towards the fitting on the sink. That way it will expand the ridged tubing outward.when the plastic nut is tightened. At least that was how it worked in the motor home. The end of the hose being pulled tight by the plastic nut must be a flat square cut across the hose. If the assembly tech cut the hose with an angle to the end, it will never work as designed. Hope this helps you. John
I really wish that I would have taken a picture of that before I put it back together. The hose dose NOT go into the black drain pipe. There is a piece of white plastic that slips into the coily hose, and that is what goes into the black drain pipe. But, that "insert" piece is clearly tapered, which makes no sense to me.

Thinking about it now, one thing that I could do is get some white/black pipe that is the correct size for that drain fitting, and then put it into the coily pipe, and put a gear drive clamp on that, and then it should come out of the drain pipe anymore. The position that the hose is in the picture is in the slid out condition, so that is the longest that the hose should need to be, so I can definitely cut some of the coily hose off for sure.

The question is, do I do all of this myself, or have the dealer half-fix it again, and then I ultimately have to fix it myself???
Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I found a pic of the hose assembly online, and this clearly shows the taper that I'm talking about. I could be wrong about this, but I don't understand how that sealing ring on the black pipe would seal properly against a tapered joint like this. The black drain pipe is the exact same stuff that you have in your house, and that accepts straight pipes...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	330
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	6630