Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #41
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
You can run microwave or heated device off of a generator, no problem. If your generator has enough power, you can run your A/C (may need soft start upgrade).

You usually can't run these devices when on battery power because inverter (device that changes 12 volts DC from batteries to 110 volts AC) can't handle it. If you have a large enough inverter, you probably could run these items, but it would consume a lot of battery power.

We have four 6 volt Costco batteries, 300 watts of solar, 1200 watt inverter and 4000 watt Onan generator. Can run everything (Dish receiver, 2 flat screens, all 12 volt applications) without ever using generator so long as there is sun. Coffee maker, microwave, or A/C require generator. Boondocking time limited to grey water capacity.

Your should NEVER run anything with resistive heat on generator or solar...

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #42
Montana Luxury

M.O.C. #22370
Wiring

My Montana did come with solar prep but that's all. I installed a Onan 5500 and had four Lifeline 6V AGM's. Looking to add more Ah's I'm switching to Lithium and increasing my solar over what I had previously installed. With adding that much solar you may want to review all the wiring, components and fuses and make sure everything is up the task, besides the batteries and solar panels. I would run that much power through the 10g factory wires.

With the different charging parameters of lithium batteries you need make sure the solar charge controller is designed for it also.

Plenty of videos on YouTube.
Montana Luxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #43
pips063
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22801
Hblick,well since ur 15mins from me let me no when u can help me install
pips063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #44
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Where is the emoji for ENVY.
Lol. Here it is🤢
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #45
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Well congrats on the 3813MS... we have one too. Your truck is more than capable. Airbags will smooth the ride but not add to payload capacity. My best guess on hitch weight puts us at about 3500lbs when we are "all in"... we will be getting weighed soon. we will be adding 1200 watts of solar, 400-600AH of LFP batteries and we carry a champion 3150 genny in the truck for when we need more power to run A/C (with soft starts). I considered AGMs but my concern is weight, and LFP fixes that. At a price, steep too. The problem we have is the CCC numbers. with all the goodies on boards we have only about 2100 lbs of CCC left for our stuff, food etc. This why the LFP option works for us. YMMV as they say.

Engineering friend of mine says the pin weight should not exceed 25% of the total OEM trailer axle weight rating. So we should be good. we are also considering an air-ride pin box.
That Air Ride pin box will smooth out the ride for sure. I have one. One of the best options I have added for sure. Damps down chucking but does not eliminate it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #46
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With all the weight being discussed, between the generator and all those batteries, I wouldn’t be as worried about the axles as I would be worried about the frame coming apart where it connects from the upper frame to the vertical frame at the propane compartments. That is a weak area of these rigs and you likely will eventually have a major frame failure. Beefing up those areas of the frame might help avoid structural failure.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #47
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
That frame issue is the original 'frame flex' from back in 2006-2010

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #48
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
That frame issue is the original 'frame flex' from back in 2006-2010
I know of a 2015 that had the frame flex so this is not just a 2006-2010 issue.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #49
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
A lot of frame flex now-a-days seems to be around the front slides. The old ones were where the upper frame attaches to the vertical frame going down to the main I-beam under the trailer. The one I described seems to me to be way more dangerous than the new stuff since the whole thing could come apart rather than just a section of the wall by a slide out. But yes there are the 'old' frame flex issues now but I think much less frequently.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote