Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
Brownte24

M.O.C. #30625
Unhappy Extended Tire Warranty Deception

We purchased a new fifth wheel camper in 2020. I am leaving the manufacturer name out purposely, as many manufactures use the same frames, wheel/tires, and etc. When we purchased the unit, we purchased a Extended Warranty for the tires, Tire Shield, and we installed a TireMinder monitor system to keep close tabs on the tire pressure, and temperature. We traveled on two long trips that added up to less than 5000 miles on the Trailer King tires that were on the unit when purchased. Recently prior to leaving on a long trip, I inspected the tires, looking for uneven wear, or any other defects. Not seeing any problems at all, excellent thread, and proper tire pressure, everything was good to go. After traveling just over 700 miles, we pulled into a gas station to fuel up, just got done filling the tank up, and the TireMinder alarm went off. The alarm was, leaking pressure. It was the left front tire on a tandem axle setup. Upon inspection of the tire, I noticed that the center thread was raised up, and wore down, not leaking, while fueling up the tire cooled down, thus tire pressure dropped causing the alarm. (outside temps were hovering 100 degrees F) As it happened, we were next to the campground that we were staying at for the night. After setting up for the night, I replaced the defective tire with the spare. After replacing the defective tire, I then contacted the Extended Warranty for the tires that we now reluntantly purchased, they told me that when replacing the tires, to make sure the tire shop keep the tires for at least 5 days, and not telling us at the time that the tires were not covered for defects, only road hazzards. The next morning I researched for replacement tires, nothing close had tires, the closest tire shop that had replacement tires was almost 200 miles away. While traveling the distance the rear left tire set off an alarm on the Tireminder,(leaking pressure). I checked the tire for leaks, defects, and etc. Upon inspection, the tire was in worse condition then the one replaced by the spare. I then slowed down to 50 mph from 60 mph, monitoring the Tireminder continuously till we arrived at the tire shop. The tires were, 235/80r16 load range F, 12 ply. I replaced them with 235/80r16 load range G, 14 ply, Sailun S637. After returning home, we filled out all of the paper work for the tire Extended Warranty, turned it in, waited about 2 weeks, to find out they rejected our claim. The reason being the warranty did not cover defective tires. At the time that we took out the tire warranty, the dealership that we purchased the warranty from, lead us to believe that the warranty covered everything on the tires. This post is to help caution others to read the policy thoroughly before purchasing, and not to let the dealership tell you what the policy covers. I contacted the tire company assuming ahead of time that they would need to see the tires, assumption was correct. The tires were disposed of. Hopefully this post wil help someone.

Brownte24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I think this same scenario happens to a lot of folks that are reluctant to admit they did not read everything before signing. Just glad you got a fresh set of good quality tires on your unit now.
Safe travels
Lee-CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
wow...thanks for sharing the detailed post and good information.
Hopefully the Saliuns will serve you better in the future.
Tires...can live with them...can't live without them.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks for sharing...........good move to replace the F rated tires with Sailun G rated tires.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the forums and sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately this is a common and old story. China bombs as their referred to are know to fail. They're a cheap starter tire that most long time RV'ers replace almost immediately. You'll have better luck with the Sailun tires.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Count your blessings. Your TPMS did its job and warned you before you had a blowout and damage.
We had a broken spring and a blowout this summer. Thankfully not at the same time.
The blowout did cause damage in the wheel well.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote