Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
Question Is my RV factory ready for solar to be added

I have a 2019 381TH and was told I'd get a 2hour walk-through that if it lasted more than 10 minutes, I'd be surprised. Since this is my first RV suffice it to say that the adage you don't know what you don't know applied heavily.
I have a few questions that I need answered and I don't know anyone else who owns a fifth wheel, much less a Montana. I purchased this about 9 to 10 months ago. I am my mother's caretaker, and about three years ago to this date she went into end-stage renal failure. In fact, she's in the hospital now and has been there for 10 days and has received 9 transfusions, and I highly suspect she won't be coming home. I'm not looking for sympathy, just setting context. We were talking as two people would talk in this situation, and I told her that when she was gone, I had planned on buying a truck and a fifth wheel and visiting as many of the National Parks as I could, and prospecting for gold. That is just a hobby, not a get-rich plan. So, she said she would love to have a chance to see one of the national parks while she still had the time. Well, it looks like time is up and we did not get to take any of those trips because she has just been too sick. In fact, I have only been able to use the RV for short periods. Given the situation I am now getting into, make the RV ready for my trips. New tires mechanically checked out, et cetera. However, I still have problems understanding some of the electrical aspects. These are the questions I currently have:
  1. is my RV factory ready to support solar? I have pictures.
  2. I am flummoxed about how the inverter works, such as how do I make it work so that the refrigerator stays on well driving If I am hooked up add a 50-amp spot why doesn't my battery, excuse me, batteries do not charge up, et cetera?
My RV has the following hookup:
oh well, I thought I could insert pictures on my computer directly into this text, But I guess not. So, I will attach them. The first two are of a hookup on the RV.
I guess I won't get into the inverter issues on this post Except to say I have no idea how it works, what button I should push when I when I'm camped and hooked up versus what button should I push when I'm driving. my batteries always seem to be dying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	14049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	14050  

KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:52 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry for your situation. First, what are you trying to run and for how long? The first step I recommend to anyone is to install (or have installed) a smart shunt (battery monitor). This will tell you how many amps you are drawing and daily usage. Your solar port will take portable solar panels with built in solar charge controller. But, until you know and can articulate what you want to accomplish, no one will be able to help. I can tell you that with an RV fridge, sat TV, using microwave, brewing coffee, charging devices and lights, our 1200 watts of solar and 540 ah of lithium batteries is almost perfect. We also have a smart BIM DC-DC charging system between the truck and batteries. Hope this gives you some info.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:32 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Sorry to hear about your mother. The batteries not charging could be one of several things. The red key in the convenience center/wet bay should be turned such that it cannot be pulled out. When hooked up to shore power, read voltage at the batteries to see if a charge is being applied from the converter. It should be over 13 volts if it's working.
My 2019 is a 3791RD, and it was pre-wired for the Jaboni solar system. I do not have the connector you show in your picture, but it does have a sticker on the inside of the basement door on the door side.
On mine, the inverter is mounted on the basement ceiling and is accessible from the off door side. I can turn it on and run the fridge while driving as long as the batteries are above 10 volts or so. It has an automatic cutoff when the batteries get too low. There is a battery disconnect in the battery compartment up front on the back wall to turn on/off the power to this inverter. Mine is a round knob with red and green positions. This is completely separate from the key in the convenience center. You may be able to trace the wires from the inverter to the batteries to find yours.
Is that Jacksonville, FL or NC? I'm in Jacksonville, FL.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:58 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here is a link to some Keystone instructions and videos. It has some basic overviews of how the electrical system works.
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to

Search YouTube for Keystone Solar Prep
There are many videos. Some show the location of the wiring.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #5
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
So, I asked myself why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Sorry for your situation. First, what are you trying to run and for how long? The first step I recommend to anyone is to install (or have installed) a smart shunt (battery monitor). This will tell you how many amps you are drawing and daily usage. Your solar port will take portable solar panels with built in solar charge controller. But, until you know and can articulate what you want to accomplish, no one will be able to help. I can tell you that with an RV fridge, sat TV, using microwave, brewing coffee, charging devices and lights, our 1200 watts of solar and 540 ah of lithium batteries is almost perfect. We also have a smart BIM DC-DC charging system between the truck and batteries. Hope this gives you some info.

I believe that is the first question that I need to ask myself. There are several reasons.
  • The first would be for boon-docking. If all is right with the world I may find myself in some remote places and relying on my generators will not suffice because fuel might not be nearby, and fuel is expensive.
  • Then there is my carbon footprint. While I know mine is small, it's like voting. How could mine make a difference? That's a wrong way of looking at it. I wouldn't expect to depend on solar 24/7, but to have it when I need it is better than not. Similar to a weapon for self defense.
  • Also, I wouldn't want to depend on generators because they do breakdown.
  • Now, if all is not right with the world I could find myself boon-docking simply because there is no fuel to be had. In that case solar would be a Godsend. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but we live in interesting times. No nation state has ever stood the test of time, not a single one. I am not this hard core survivalist, but consider myself a suburban prepper.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
still part of the electrical system, but not solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother. The batteries not charging could be one of several things. The red key in the convenience center/wet bay should be turned such that it cannot be pulled out. When hooked up to shore power, read voltage at the batteries to see if a charge is being applied from the converter. It should be over 13 volts if it's working.
My 2019 is a 3791RD, and it was pre-wired for the Jaboni solar system. I do not have the connector you show in your picture, but it does have a sticker on the inside of the basement door on the door side.
On mine, the inverter is mounted on the basement ceiling and is accessible from the off door side. I can turn it on and run the fridge while driving as long as the batteries are above 10 volts or so. It has an automatic cutoff when the batteries get too low. There is a battery disconnect in the battery compartment up front on the back wall to turn on/off the power to this inverter. Mine is a round knob with red and green positions. This is completely separate from the key in the convenience center. You may be able to trace the wires from the inverter to the batteries to find yours.
Is that Jacksonville, FL or NC? I'm in Jacksonville, FL.
Yes, Jacksonville, FL. I'm from Tampa, but moved here to take care of my mother. Given my circumstances I don't know anything about Jax, how to get around, no friends, etc. I know how to get to the airport, San Jose Blvd/Rd(?), and a few clubs downtown where I do stand-up comedy several nights a week.

As far as my inverter, mine is also mounted on the roof of my basement in such a way that I cannot see the face of it. All I know is that one time I pushed a button and it came on and then a little while later started making a horrible squeal. I also took pictures of it and will attach them. I think because I don't know how to work it the batteries are always running down, so I keep a trickle charge on them. There is an on/off, or pass through, switch in that compartment that obviously keeps any charge from being used. After that switch it's obvious they are connected to the inverter immediately in the front basement. I also have the on/off/pass-through key switch in the hookup compartment.

The dealership said the refrigerator ran on both gas and a 12v charge, or 12v DC charge inverted to AC. It obviously doesn't run on gas. The first 3 pictures are the inverter and some other device.

The last two pictures are of an AC outlet in the basement with the inverter that has this bizarre looking thing stuck in the top outlet. I've never seen anything like it and don't know if it belongs, or is part of something that broke off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2873.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	14052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	14053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	14054   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_005.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	14055   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_006.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	14056  

Old 02-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Follow Ron’s advice it will walk you through it
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:12 AM   #8
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
I missed this on the first read through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post

Since the last poster suggested to follow your advice I went back and looked at your post. And on my first read through I failed to notice that you said portable solar panels. When I envision portable solar panels I see people setting them out on the grass and not necessarily on top of the RV as they are on homes. Is that what you are suggesting? if so, could you briefly elucidate the reasoning? Again, I realize I speak from ignorance and I just grabbed a book or two off of Amazon that were basically solar for dummies. I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription, so I did not pay for those books. I should probably stop asking questions until I read through those and some of the links people have offered.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:01 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The port you showed is for portable panels, yes the type you put on the ground. Again, the first thing you want is a true battery gage like the Victron smart shunt. Until you know how many amps you use, you don’t know how much battery power to install. If you go roof mounted panels, you will also need an appropriately sized solar charge controller. On ours, we have two fifty amp Victron SCC’s. Portable panels usually include those. Unless you install a very large solar array, you will not be able to run AC for more than a few hours. Not sure about your fridge. If it’s residential, you will need added solar. As for a generator, as long as you never have cloudy days, you won’t need one. If you have cloudy days, you will eventually drain your batteries. We carry a single Honda 2000 just for those days.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:20 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Turn on the red battery inverter disconnect switch and your inverter is on. It only operates your fridge and is designed to use while traveling. Operation time is about 9 hours with 2 flooded batteries. Your rig is not designed to boondock with a residential fridge.

You solar port is for a stand alone solar panel with a built in controller to assist in charging the batteries.

The only way you'll boondock with a residential fridge is to install a substantial solar package. Recommended 1200 watt with solar controller, charger and lithium batteries.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:44 PM   #11
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I too have a 2019 381TH. I also have an Onan 5500 running on propane in the front compartment, very handy to have. The solar prep is exactly what the others have said, portable panels. The fridge you have is a Residential and only runs on AC. That pic of the inverter shows the green button you need to push to turn it on. I use a mirror to see it for there is very little room there. Also, make sure that outlet didn't trip. Reset it if it did. I drive long distances, easily 10 hours, and keeps the fridge going.
You may have a charging issue so check your voltage when not plugged in and then when plugged in like suggested earlier. Oh, and that red key where the water connections are. Make sure that's on.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:46 PM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTom View Post
I too have a 2019 381TH. I also have an Onan 5500 running on propane in the front compartment, very handy to have. The solar prep is exactly what the others have said, portable panels. The fridge you have is a Residential and only runs on AC. That pic of the inverter shows the green button you need to push to turn it on. I use a mirror to see it for there is very little room there. Also, make sure that outlet didn't trip. Reset it if it did. I drive long distances, easily 10 hours, and keeps the fridge going.
You may have a charging issue so check your voltage when not plugged in and then when plugged in like suggested earlier. Oh, and that red key where the water connections are. Make sure that's on.
The green button my or may not function. It depends on programing. Typically it's programed PS4 which is disabled meaning you have to use the inverter battery disconnect. Changing it to PS1 enables the power button. I've experienced my inverter changing programing to PS0 which disables the inverter completely. Never found out why it changed.