Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Compartment Space

How about utilizing some of the dead space in the lower section for compartments. Ones that would hold folding chairs would be great. Another bonus would be an area to store heavier itams that would reduce the pin weight some instead of adding to it. Most everything put in these units adds pinweight. Unless You fill the galley tank many units (rk's not included) don't have much ability to load the rear of the unit.
There's a lot of dead space that could be utilized. Maybe the power cord and water hoses could go in a compartment.
This would free up some of the clutter in the main storage area.

John

NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, I agree with you on this. If it can be done on all those Class A's, surely it can be done on our rigs. I've seen a couple of fifths with storage compartments in slides. Notably, one I recall has storage built under the couch with access from outside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I totally agree that more weight need to be shifted to the rear of the 5th wheel. I am thinking of adding a storage box off the rear end that would be mounted via a slot hitch. Has anyone done this?
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Sunseekers this might pose an issue with the warranty by attaching a platform hitch to the frame. I would love to do the same so I can pull my bass boat, but was told by the dealer that Keystone would not sanction any attachments to the frame. Just a word of caution.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Native Tex, wouldn't you exceed the length laws if you towed a bassboat behind your Montana? I assume Alabama has those. Kansas has a length limit of 65 feet. I towed a 19' bassboat behind a 25 1/2 foot fifthwheel and was two inches inside the legal limit (truck/fw/boat). No law enforcement folks ever questioned it, though.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
While we're talking compartments--any way to get a more sizeable one for stowing sewer hoses and all the stuff that goes with them?? It would be great to keep ALL that suff separate. Right now, all I can fit in are two 10' hoses (Since the hoses have to be compressed to fit in the space this is pretty much like 10 lbs of #$&@ in a 5lb bag if you get my drift). Would love to get in couplers, supports and etc. Thanks!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bowie, I don't know if you have the regular compartment some of the newer rigs have or the round tube slung under the rig like we have. I added a second tube and am thinking of adding a third. Also I may add some kind of box below the rig for the connectors. Just thinking out loud on that one.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
my 2980RL has sooooo much room I look for stuff to put in the 2 front compartments. 2 big lounge chairs, a ladder, 2000 watt gen, BB-Q, tools, (2) 9 x 12 plastic rugs, 20 foot flag pole and 6 different flags, not counting the big plastic storage box with all the fresh water hoses and filter, trash can colapsable one, thats just the first one. and still got room to put more.
Who's worried about pin weight, not me,...... Of corse we are not full timming like most of you guys, we just go camping. but we do go in style Montana Style.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunseekers

I totally agree that more weight need to be shifted to the rear of the 5th wheel. I am thinking of adding a storage box off the rear end that would be mounted via a slot hitch. Has anyone done this?
Adding a trailer hitfch to your Montana will void the warranty on the chassis frame by the chassis manufacturer. I'd check that out before adding some storage space hanging off the back of the rig.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:57 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

While we're talking compartments--any way to get a more sizeable one for stowing sewer hoses and all the stuff that goes with them?? It would be great to keep ALL that suff separate. Right now, all I can fit in are two 10' hoses (Since the hoses have to be compressed to fit in the space this is pretty much like 10 lbs of #$&@ in a 5lb bag if you get my drift). Would love to get in couplers, supports and etc. Thanks!
I added two 84" pieces of 4" white sewer pipe under my rig (with screw-in end caps) right next to the little short one that comes with the rig standard. This allows me to store all my sewer pipes as well as most of the little extra fittings that we find necessary. If I need a fitting, all I do is reach into the pipe with the awning rod and pull it out.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
About a week ago I saw a sight that shocked me. I was about 10 cars back from the traffic light watching traffic go by waiting for my turn to go when a Montana crosses in front of me. On the back was the largest "add on" I've ever seen! It had to be 5 or 6 feet wide and at least the same thing high and was at least 4 feet deep! It was huge!! I was really tempted to chase the guy down but I didn't. Would have loved to have seen that one up close.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote