Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
steveinville
Established Member

M.O.C. #9464
Front decal is bad

I'm new to the forum. Talked to another Montana owner in our campground and he told me about it. I have an '04 that we just got. The large decals on the nose are bad. Does anyone know how I can get it replaced? Will keystone give me one, hopefully with the same 2004 color scheme?

steveinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The search function is your friend!!!! There is a multitude of info on this.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Welcome Steveinville... as suggested by Tom S. click on the "search" link at the upper right of these web page. Then search for "decal replacement", then click on the radio button for "search all words" and voila, you should find a bunch of related topics. You will also see "Burlington Graphics". This is the company that now provides the decals for Montys. Hopefully these topics will yield the information you seek.

You might also find that some members are converting to painted-on graphics as an option.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Here's Kristen's link to Burlington Graphics. She has been helping
find Graphics for folks. She is also aware of MOC members and is willing to work it. Just be prepared for it to take awhile.

kristin.kapellusch@burlingtongraphics.com
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Probably not the answer you want, steveinville,however - - - - - -

We have a early 2004, purchased June 2003. It sits out all year, some years, we were lucky enough to get it to TX for winter months. Normally, we live in Michigan, so the unit has not been subjected to bright suns and extreme heat. (It does however, get kinda cold here in the winter.)

Front and some on the street side, mostly the red ones were curling.

We had asked about replacement for the front at the last Fall Rally and never heard anything, then, well, other things were more important and there was no follow through on our part.

Note: Our graphics were not that badly curled, we have seen some really horrible. Ours, were minimal.

Al (Countryguy) just two days ago took a single sided razor blade and carefully slid it along the curled part, and trimmed it right off. He did not cut into the gelcoat. I suppose if you look close you will note that the decals are not what they were. But, for now, we are OK with the trimming and what is left.

We know of at least one other MOC member who has trimmed instead of replaced. It did not take Al very long to do, believe he said 15 minutes.

Again, as disclaimer, ours were not that badly curled.

Anyway, just toss it out here, and you can contemplate the choices.

Welcome to the forum. Happy RVing.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
steveinville, I do not get on here much but wanted to let you know we have a 2003 Montana and the graphics are not good.. I read on here that Keystone will send you a new set and then putting them on is your baby, I searched and found out that it cost a little over 1,000 TO have someone do them for you... sooooooo!!! we decided to just let them come off and have none if that is what it takes.. Now maybe you would like to have them put on then do listen to the other members as they know what they are talking about...
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

steveinville, I do not get on here much but wanted to let you know we have a 2003 Montana and the graphics are not good.. I read on here that Keystone will send you a new set and then putting them on is your baby, I searched and found out that it cost a little over 1,000 TO have someone do them for you... sooooooo!!! we decided to just let them come off and have none if that is what it takes.. Now maybe you would like to have them put on then do listen to the other members as they know what they are talking about...
I have a 2008 3400RL the Montana graphic on the front cap went bad on me after the second winter the mountain graphic still looked good, keystone sent me a full set of new graphics for the front. I removed the Montana graphic, and like it so well without the Montana on there thats the way its going to stay. If the mountain scene graphic goes bad then there will be no graphics on the front. My point is I can put the new replacement graphics on ,and waste more of my time removing another set of bad graphics when they go bad. As far as I know there is no improvement to the new ones they sent me so why bother with them.

If I get the urge to do anything different with that front cap, I would think some air brushing would be a better way to go. Also then you can wax the front cap, and not worry about ruining more graphics, because they say NOT to wax the graphics
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
steveinville
Established Member

M.O.C. #9464
Thanks for these comments. I had searched on this site and read a lot of comments. There seems to be wide variations is experiences: some get it for free, some have to pay. Some get from Burlington, some from Keystone. Our deal did give me the graphic, but now 2 months later when I unrolled it I find that 1) it is not the complete graphic--only the word "Montana", no mountains; and 2) it is not the 2004 colors/size. So, I'll try Burlington and Keystone, and see where I get. Maybe I will just not replace it.
steveinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
vgforbes
Established Member

M.O.C. #9454
Dont know.... but I wrote to the decal supplier listed on Keystone's supplier list.( no response yet) Mine is doing the same thing and it realy doesn't look very good, nor does it advertise well for Montana....with so many american manufacturers in Bankruptcy,,,someone in the factory should clue in that our trailers are a great source of FREE advertising....both good and bad.... If I were in the market and saw my trailer...I wouldn't want one and thats a shame because after 125000miles we still love ours ,,peeling decals and all... By the way almost any decal shop should be able to create at least a very close duplicate of our decals.... good luck...if anyone finds a quick solution please keep me informed as well.. gary 2004 36RL . 2006 3500 duramax
vgforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
05WAF350
Established Member

M.O.C. #6351
We have a 2007 3400RL and the graphics are curling on us already. I contacted Keystone. I frist spoke to Britany who sent me to Carman. Carman told me to contact Kristin at Burlington. I had already sent them an email on Monday with no reply. I placed a call to Kristin and left a msg on her voicemail. I will wait to see what comes next. We have friends that had theirs painted but I think keystone might want to step in as if they are all going bad it does not enhance the looks.
05WAF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I continue to maintain that somewhere along the line (maybe about 2002=3_ Keystone either changed graphics suppliers or the suppliers may have changed their adhesive process. The older rigs, like our 2000 have not manifested what is being described (curling).

Having said that, I've met several RVers whose units (Keystone and SOB) who have either let it go and didn't worry about it or removed the decals completely. I must say that the Montana does not look bad without a front decal! Matter of fact it looks pretty stunning. When you think about it, ask yourself this question: "Is Keystone paying me to advertise their product?" Most Montana owners (at least those who have not had a barrel of problems) will advertise Keystone products by word-of-mouth anyway.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

We were given new graphics free of charge from Burlington Graphics, except for the ones they no longer had in stock. We paid to have them make more of those.

Then we spent two long, hot(+95*) weekends removing just the cap graphics and replacing them with the Montana lettering and a bear (SOB) that our son-in-law gave Jim for Christmas. Check the photo in our signature.

The bear was a challenge to apply and we will probably buy a new one to replace it. The lettering was easy compared to the bear!

Kathy

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 AM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The "Montana" on the front of our 2009 is fraying at the top. We've logged it with the dealer as a warranty item.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I continue to maintain that somewhere along the line (maybe about 2002=3_ Keystone either changed graphics suppliers or the suppliers may have changed their adhesive process. The older rigs, like our 2000 have not manifested what is being described (curling).

Having said that, I've met several RVers whose units (Keystone and SOB) who have either let it go and didn't worry about it or removed the decals completely. I must say that the Montana does not look bad without a front decal! Matter of fact it looks pretty stunning. When you think about it, ask yourself this question: "Is Keystone paying me to advertise their product?" Most Montana owners (at least those who have not had a barrel of problems) will advertise Keystone products by word-of-mouth anyway.

Thats what I was saying. It just makes no sense to mess with them if the first ones went bad, what makes me think the new ones from the same place, using them in the same conditions that anything is going to change. Besides that they are not the most fun things to remove. As I said I removed the Montana logo on the front cap and it really does not look bad,and when the mountain graphics get bad off they come.

I agree if someone wants to know what fifth wheel it is look at the rear of it as I pass,until it goes bad then off it comes. I feel that they are just not worth the time and money to mess with

Old 08-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Orv
Yes Orv I think you are quite right in your thoughts about graphics on the older units, my friend has a 99 and the graphics are faded a bit ,but still look pretty good. With no peeling.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I checked mine and the very top of the "Montana" is starting to peel. So I checked three others in the park. All are peeling. Seems like a product failure not workmanship. Kinda makes the rig look cheaply made. Funny how such a small defect looms large when you see it for the first time.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

I checked mine and the very top of the "Montana" is starting to peel. So I checked three others in the park. All are peeling. Seems like a product failure not workmanship. Kinda makes the rig look cheaply made. Funny how such a small defect looms large when you see it for the first time.
I know I keep repeating this ,but there is no real cure for these bad graphics, other than keep replacing them. What I have not heard yet is anyone having any success with the second set of graphics. That is the one big reason my replacements are in my garage instead of on my fifth wheel. Maybe someone has found a secret they can share ??
Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
zippys

M.O.C. #9617
I just joined this forum to try to figure out what to do with the fluttering in the breeze decals on my 2004 36.5RK. I found a list of all the decals and part numbers. Of the 37 decals, there was 24 bad and almost gone. Thirteen of the decals on all 4 sides look new, no peeling, no lifting, no chalking , no discoloration. Hmmmmmmm.......
How can that be? I razored off the edges of the badly peeling ones a month ago and they curled up in just a month from where I cut the edges off with a razor blade. Now, if you want to take them off, just trim them every month and soon they will all be gone.

Has anyone actually applied the new replacement decals with no peeling problems? I was quoted appx $700 for just the defective decals not including removal and re installation and if they are going to do the same thing, Then I will remove all of them and just leave the 4 montana decals on, or whats left of them.

zippys

zippys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #19
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
We had a speaker from Burlington Graphics at the fall rally. If you have a 2005 or newer rig they should send you the graphics free of charge. You will need pics to send them. They did have issues with the vinyl from different suppliers on certain years. Also some bad adhesive that lets the edges curl.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Last January while we were in Quartzsite the MOC group removed all of my decals which were very badly curled and faded. They then replaced with new decals. Thus we have had the new decals on for just about 10 months. So far the new decals are looking great. We are watching them closely. Burlington had about 1/4 of my decals in stock so they gave those to me. The rest of them they had to make in a new run and ended up costing about $400 or so.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote