Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
liz

M.O.C. #9288
pump reservoir for slide out

we have a mountaineer travel trailer.we have a leaking reservoir that holds transmission fluid to operate the slides.we were told that they don't make that pump anymore.cant get parts. we need an o ring that fits between reservoir and pump.can anyone help?

liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by liz

we have a mountaineer travel trailer.we have a leaking reservoir that holds transmission fluid to operate the slides.we were told that they don't make that pump anymore.cant get parts. we need an o ring that fits between reservoir and pump.can anyone help?
Most auto parts stores carry o-rings. Also, look for a business that rebuilds hydraulic systems for heavy equipment. They would likely have one, or will be able to make one the correct size.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. How old is the Mountaineer?? wo told you they do not make that pump anymore??? Is it a Lippert product??? Did you talk to Keystone customer service. I think Keystone uses the same pump in all the brands...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Liz - had the same thing happen to my old Mountaineer. As Will, said, the only place I could find the correct size was at a local company that makes and repairs hydraulics and other pumps. Found one that fit and it worked perfectly.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Liz: Welcome to the group - sorry it has to be because of a problem. Regardless, glad to have you aboard.

Now, that said, if your unit is 5 years or less old, Lippert should still have the part, and possibly under warranty (slides on my SOB (some other brand)) are warranted for 5 years. Call Lippert and they should be able to help -- may even get a new pump if the old one is no longer made. If the trailer and unit is out of warranty, they should still be able to get you the right number or a source. Locally we've had good luck getting parts for some of these things at the local Farmer's supplies store (Oshlands, Tractor Supply, etc.).

On edit: Had to look through my files to get a phone number: Don't know if Don is still at Lippert but the phone number to get you into warranty coverage is 1-866-524-7821 Ext 4548 (a commercial number to a different person there is: 574-971-4926 for a Bill Hyphin)

Good luck in your quest, and again, welcome to the forum.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am getting my valve manifold replaced. All 4 valves leak. Called Lippert and they do have a 5 yr warranty and they had no problem in telling me they would replace - through my dealer.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Our 03 Mountaineer leaks oil also. Last fall I had the O ring changed and it held for about 4 months. The second ) ring is being replaced this week. If it leaks I will not get it changed again. It was only loosing about a cup of ATF in 6 months. At around $3.00 a quart I will simply add oil as needed. The $40 I was charged would have supplied oil for at least the next 12 years.

To answer your question about the O rings. You can get them at NAPA.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Clutch, you might want to touch base with Lippert. Not sure if they can do anything, but they seem aware those older manifolds/O rings were faulty and they have had to replace a bunch of them. Maybe they would be open to shipping one of their re-engineered units out to you to replace your older manifold. Maybe not, but can't hurt to ask...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Dsprik, thanks for the information. I'll see how this last "fix" works out. If that fails I will give them a call.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
liz

M.O.C. #9288
Quote:

Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
liz

M.O.C. #9288
I would like to thank everyone who tried to help with my leaking reservoir.My rv is older than 5 years, so yes it is out of warranty.We are also the second owners,so probably wouldn't be warranted to me .By the way, we are having to put fluid in each and every time we bring the slides in and out.I only put in enough fluid to make them work since the leak is so bad.Also the power unit is mounted in such a way I dont know how to get just the reservoir off to replace o ring.I think I may have to remove the whole unit.Any ideas would be appreciated.My husband is paralyzed in a wheelchair so I am having to do this.I think I will be able to get an o ring at a place that repairs hydraulics,I just haven't been able to get there and see yet.Thanks again to everyone who replied.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Quote:

Quote:

Liz,

The above advice about replacing the o ring is good advice. I had the same issue with ours slowly leaking and removed the reservoir and o ring and couldn't see why it wouldn't seal. Cleaned the o ring groove and the inside of the reservoir and painted a small amount of 'Permatex" Non Harding gasket sealant on the groove and inside reservoir. Hasn't even dripped in three weeks plus.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote