Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Adding generator and batteries

I have a 3075RL 2007 and am considering adding a generator and possibly some additional battery power. Our unit is prepped for installation of something like a 5500 watt Onan generator. Although this sounds like the right system I know many folks prefer to go with a pair of Honda 2000's tied together. I would be interested in any of your comments on what type of independent electrical supply system works best. I would be using mine whenever I had to use it and it was permitted. We would not go out of our way to boondock but want the option should we need it.

John and Dorothy
'06 Dodge 3500 Diesel pulling Montana 3075RL

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, first of all, I would go with Two 6 volt Golf cart batteries, you would have good reserve, and it would be compatible with your converter. The generator issue has many facets, the built In's are convenient, if propane fueled, obvious advantages over the gas portables, but if you just needed a small power source, you could use just one of the two Honda's, Yammerhaws, or what ever you would buy.
I have seen some slick Aluminum toolboxes converted to Honda type generator enclosures. Cut the ends for ventalition, and use them in the truck bed. One guy had a 3,000 Honda on a receiver hitch system that worked great, use the search over on Good Sam Forum for that.
I will go with the Two Honda's, (I already have one)
Good luck, there are some pretty smart people here, you will get good advice.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We know you guys LOVE your generators, but Al and I have to agree with Glenn (Glenn & Lorraine) on this one. Our days of boondocking are over, we are toooooooo soft now. We can pay a lot of campground fees even at $30.00 and $40.00 a night for the price of one generator. The generator takes up room and weight requirements somewhere in your truck or rig. You have to mess with fuel (gotta say that propane idea is cool tho!!)

We did get caught one night last summer in Wisconsin in a campground that did not have hookups, and we managed. Got all organized by dark, and when the sun went down, we just went to bed! Next AM the rush to find a good cup of coffee was the only tough part! HA HA. I no longer tote along a stove top old fashioned perker, so, had to do without till we found a restaurant. Even that turned out fine, as we found a great place and had a terrific meal.

Disclaimer, it was not triple digits temps, and we just slept with the windows open and were comfy. Be hard to pull that off with the temps we have been having this summer.

Point is, a generator takes up a good piece of real estate and storage, and adds weight to your total. Are you gonna tote that all around for a "just in case"????

It comes down to that ever loving, comfort zone and personal choice, eh???

Cheers, good luck with that decision.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
We have the onan 5500 built in propane generator. We go to state parks, remote lakes, and out of the way beaches. We can use our King Dome Satelite system and really feel like we are roughing it! Just push the on button on the wall.

06 3670 Montana, MorRyde suspension, King Dome Satelite, 5500 onan propane generator
05 dodge 4x4 turbo diesel, six speed
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have the Yahama generator with the boost feature.The cost of the generator probaly isn`t justified in as much as we use it.I`am a full hook up guy myself.But it sure does came in handy when the camp ground we are at has a power outage.This happens more then I would have thought.And those times with an outage the generator is worth every penny for us.I carry mine on a front mounted hitch with a cargo carrier.It works well their.Its a luxury thats not really needed until you need it.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-auto-48re
2001(bought new in March of 2004) montana 3280RL triple slide
Prodigy brake controller
color back up camera(from rvcams.com)
reese 16K slider
tire pressure monitoring system
line-x spray in bed liner
roll&lock bed cover
Yamaha generator with boost control
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I would go with the two Honda 2000's merely because they are lighter than the bigger units. Each Honda only weighs 43 lbs. However I believe the 5500 is well over 100 lbs -- I don't know the exact weight. As for batteries, I'm a little partial to the Lifeline batteries which require NO mainteance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #7
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
One thing to consider, with the onan being built in you don't have to worry about someone walking off with it and you don't have to worry about carrying cans of gasoline in the back of the truck that can tip over and spill, going with the built in onan would be the way I would go if I was to do it Again, Roman

2004 3295 rk
1995 F-350
3"down pipe&4"exhaust
k&n air filter
1st Moc rally attendies
Roman & Pam Bialecki
Ottawa Lake, Mi.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
eck-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #3488
i have been thinking about getting a generator and have been leaning towards a generac quietpac the best price I have found is from norwall.com with free delivery if it is to a comercial site. Does anyone have any experience with the generac?

03 3655FL W/03 2500HD Duramax Crew cab B&W hitch {Black Betty}is her name
eck-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I recently bought a Yamaha EF2400iS generator for our Alaska trip. I bought that one because it is big enough to run the A/C (although nothing else big at the same time), yet at 64 lbs I can move it by myself if I have to. I very soon got tired of loading and unloading it, so I mounted a heavy-duty sliding tray from Home Depotin the basement area. It has worked out well. I just slide the tray out and hook up the power cord. Haven't yet figured out how to cover it when it rains. Lucky for me, it never rains in Alaska. (LOL)
Bob

Bob and Jan Gay
NE Fla and around the USA and Canada
Currently on the Oregon Coast
http://travelblog.org/bloggers/rovers2/

03 Dodge Cummins Dually
2006 Montana 3000RK

bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John and Dorothy,

our 2003 was the first year that would accept the larger 5500 Onan due to the higher basement. We opted to have it installed at purchase:
Pros - Simple and clean installation with Montana rough-in already installed, fueled by the onboard propane, super-super quiet, enough power for the second AC if we ever install it.
Cons - pricey

We considered the portable generator idea because of cost, but didn't relish the idea of having to pull it out of the cabinet each time we wanted to use it (not designed to run on board) and I didn't like the idea of having to carry gasoline.

Won't say it has payed for itself, but it's a complete experience when you can pull into a rest stop, press a button and make lunch or breakfast just like the diesel pusher Class A next to you. I even use it to vacuum and clean out the unit when parked in storage, or to perform occassional maintenance. Because we have it, we even occassionally opt for camping on the beach rather than the campground, which would be a hot experience without the AC.

Brad and Dory
If you want to post the pics side by side then please reduce them so that they do not cause a scroll to read the text. Thanks, RVWheels

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR occassional tow buddy

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote