Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Gestapo?

So what's the story? You can discuss anything on this forum, EXCEPT what someone (Shooterdad's home defense post) unilaterly decides is NOT PROPER? I understand avoiding political and profane (the same thing?) topics, but really, this seems to go too far.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I agree with the poster except for the use of "gestapo."
There was very little hostility or vituperation expressed in the original posting about home defense.
Some people don't like guns and I say that's OK, but for them to be rude on a posting like the mentioned one or to say we cannot discuss them is wrong, even though this is a privately-owned forum.
There are several things discussed with which I disagree from time to time, but I certainly do not call the posters names or ask for the thread to be locked or deleted.
I'd even be willing to bet that the majority of members would find the home defense posting interesting.
We must live by the "rules"(read decisions) of the forum owner, but we do not have to like them.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I thought it was an excellent topic because there are many individuals who know little about the subject and may think that a single wall will stop a projectile once launched and it won't.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the objection was his personal dislike of the subject, he is entitled to his opinion, it took a little moxie to 'voice it', but I think the subject is OK.
Hey, we are all family here, we should be able to voice strong opinions as long as we don't get mean about it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have all kinds of firearms. Have a CCl. Have all kind of opinions to express on the subject and there are plenty of forums out there devoted to that subject. This is a RV forum.It is about Rv's let us keep it that way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
I bet it was sheepdips comment that cosed it to be considered a bad one. He sounded like a jerk from what I saw. I think the guy above me said it best he said this is for rv so let's keep it that way. Hurrah for him.

I think this is a private owned forum and so the owner can say what is ok and what is not ok. All of us are supposed to live with that or we can leave or we can go start our own forum. So if anyone does not like it, good bye.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
The thread was about fire arms and how they relate to travelling in an RV, that is RV related. Several posters were out of line by bad mouthing fellow MOCers for discussing the subject. Admin can do anything they want, it's their forum...the MOCers that don't like a thread should just ignore it and not make inappropriate posts.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
I have been a member of this forum as well as a few others for a few years and never in all that time discussed anything that would deem being closed down . I know that talking about certain subjects is Taboo and as such I thought I had always kept my post RV related and in good taste , I would certainly apologize if I felt that I had done something wrong or if I said something offensive , however I cant apologize not knowing where I have over stepped the boundaries.

The MOC has come under fire many times on other forums for censorship by the administrators, and my experience on this forum has never been anything but positive . The people are knowledgeable and friendly and of all the other forums I participate in this has been among one of my favorites.

I posted my comments in what I felt was the correct category , and without any name calling , politics , or sexual banter, so what is wrong?

Many times there are threads that dont interest me so I dont read them....no problem . So my question is why would someone want to close a thread that falls within the guidelines as per the forum rules.

I know that there are those that dont think that a weapon of any kind is necessary to live in our society much less in an RV in the middle of the desert or along some of our highways and thats fine , I see no issue with that if thats how they want to live . I am as many others a realist and see that there is a real need to be able to protect my family as well as my property in the event of a violent crime, or in the event of a threat to one of my pets while taking a walk .

What I find a little troubling also is that the post was bad enough to close , yet not bad enough for the admin to send me a pm explaining why ? If it was the result of another poster to the thread then delete his or her posting not the whole thread .

Well folks at this point I guess I will suspend my participation on the MOC and wish you well. If this is all it takes to have a post shut down it is sad. Have a Merry Christmas....oops will probably be closed down for that politicaly incorrect statement . Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I think a discussion about personal safety and firearms in an RV forum is perfectly appropriate. As a female who RVs by myself most of the time, I wouldn't think of hitting the road without being armed, in the truck as well as in the trailer. An explanation by the admins as to the reason for closing the thread should be a part of the process (my opinion).

I've seen some pretty odd opinions (again, my opinion) voiced in this forum. It's an odd blend of patriotism and anti-government, and now anti-gun. If the forum is privately owned, I can appreciate that, but shouldn't there be some accountability in the operation of the forum? I don't think it was appropriate for shooterdad's thread to be shut down without an explanation to shooterdad.

I lurked here for a long time before I decided to join & post (straight single women aren't welcome everywhere, even those of us who are well-behaved), and I've seen examples of heavy-handedness from the mods and also snippiness among the members. Is this a forum where you are invited to hit the bricks for disagreeing with the administration? Sad if it is.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's the problem as I see it: Firearms and their use is a very divisive subject in our society. Those, like me, who grew up in South Chicago and had two minor bullet wounds and numerous knife scars before getting thru high school and then spent 20 years involved in law enforcement may be somewhat paranoid when we camp along the border with Mexico in either New Mexico or Arizona or maybe we're just being realistic having been there and done that and survived. Not discussing guns in RV's is like not discussing birth control with teenagers. Assumptions are going to be made that aren't correct and someone is going to get hurt. This isn't the only forum that will shut down a gun discussion, the Escapees are the same way. I just hope we aren't camped next to the guy who thinks his automatic pistol is unloaded because he took the clip out and then pulls the trigger. When that happens to someone, and it will, it would have been nice if the person could have discussed gun safety and operation in a forum like this, but I guess that's not possible.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Amen.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I add my AMEN- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Wow - A lot of interesting feelings come out on this subject. I missed the original remarks made by shooterdad but I, like many RV's, carry some type of firearm
along for the ride. I would love to know what the actual percentage is of RVer's that carry a weapon when on the road and camping (I would bet over70%). Something
else to remember - When traveling and camping your RV or 5th wheel etc..THAT IS YOUR HOME! So home safety should not be thrown out because it has nothing to do with camping. I agree with Dick 100% with the gun safety issue - it's a must for anyone who carries a firearm. I guess in my humble opinion home safety goes along with RV safety as they really do relate to each other.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I offer this information not as an excuse, but purely as information.

In the gun community, there exists the belief there are three types of people: Sheep, Sheep Dogs and Wolves. This was never meant to be derogatory in any way shape or form. Sheep refers to the average person who goes about life never suspecting or perhaps ignoring the dangers that exist, especially in today's society. Wolves represent said dangers. Wolves can consist of hardened criminals, crackheads, gangbangers, or the mentally deranged: in other words any one who could (and often do) hurt sheep (people). Sheep dog refers most often to police or military, which is to say those people who look after the flock and protect it against the wolves. However many non-law enforcement people also call themselves sheep dogs in the belief that they too will do whatever necessary to protect themselves and others against the wolves.

Personally, I look at myself as a sheep - with guns. I will do whatever I need to do to protect myself or my family, but I'm not here to protect society, nor am I here to get in your face about gun rights. In this respect, my firearms are nothing more than the spare tire on my truck, or the insurance on my vehicles: in other words tools I hope I never need to use.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I believe that firearms are a fitting subject for any RV forum. Whether we agree or not that we should carry a firearm in our camper, some people apparently do so. We can be educated and become more aware of the laws that pertain to the use of firearms while we are RV’ing, through these types of discussions. We can also learn where to seek for valid and accurate information concerning any questions we may have. I do think as with any subject it should stay within perspective and not get out of hand; that’s why we have moderators and administrative rules for posting!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 for me. One of the great things about this forum is that we are supportive of each other and allow for individual beliefs. When that isn't respected it is time for a moderator to step in, IMHO.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
You people are completely missing the point!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, this seems to be going off on a bit of a tangent. I do not see where there was any attempt to shut down the discussion because it was about guns. Not at all. It looks to me like it was stopped because of a particular post going off the deep end.

Vicki and I have been around this forum for many years. We've had our hands slapped by the administrators a couple of times. We've been told to back off. Yet we persist in this forum. And we do so because it is probably the most civil forum of its type available anywhere. And it's that way for a reason... because the administrators work hard to keep this forum within the boundaries of the mission statement. If anyone is unaware of that mission statement, it's near the top of the topics list.

Those of us who have been around here for a long time are aware of other topics being shut down, and some were very obviously rv-related without question. They got shut down because the discussions lost their civility or because certain people started slamming the opinions of others or whatever.

I'm sure many here will disagree with me and that's fine. My opinion is that I think the administrators do a good job of keeping this from becoming a blast-each-other fest like so many other forums. When we signed up for this forum we agreed to the mission statement. If we don't like it, we're free to leave. So my thoughts are that I like this forum as it is, even when I don't agree with administration. If I decide I can't live with that, I have the right to leave. And so do you.

Again, I don't see that the topic was shut down because of guns. We've had gun topics here before. It was because some members couldn't be civil to those with differing opinions. I don't own this forum but after being here for nine years (since the fourth day this forum existed),and I still think it's the best forum of its kind available anywhere and I thank the administrators for keeping it that way.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #19
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hear, hear, Steve!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #20
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
So, if I understand the above properly, all one has to do to close down a thread that is unliked by that person is to attack one or more of the other posters in a personal way?
That's absurd. That's punishing everyone because of one person.
Why not just delete the offending posting(s) and let the discussion go on?
I think, in my opinion, it was an overreaction.
I have no idea who the owner is, but I'll bet he/she is a human being, and thus liable to make mistakes. Hopefully that is what the locked post was.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote