Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I got my census today.....

and put a 2 in the box for the first question and sent it back. That's all they need to know in my opinion.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rich haven't received mine yet but this time for the first time I will really study it before I give any information. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Here ya go:

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully
neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized
officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency
thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized
officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions
on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey
provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title,
applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related,
or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall
be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of
this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in
such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be
fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person
shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious
beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

(Aug. 31, 1954, ch. 1158, 68 Stat. 1023; Pub. L. 85-207, Sec. 15, Aug.
28, 1957, 71 Stat. 484; Pub. L. 94-521, Sec. 13, Oct. 17, 1976, 90 Stat.
2465.)

Might want to get that money ready. Your government needs it.

I received a farm census once. Wanted to know what crops I had raised, and how much I made off them. I just threw it in the trash. Wasn't long I received another one, along with a letter telling me the info was not voluntary, but mandated by law. I called and talked to someone, and got off the list, as it had been several years since I had a garden. I think they probably got my name when they audited Tractor Supply for farm tax exemptions. I was careful not to use the exemption any more.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
I will be the test case on the $100.00 fine. I have always only told them how many live here. I figure the IRS knows everything else they want to know. I will not pay the fine...
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Les

I will be the test case on the $100.00 fine. I have always only told them how many live here. I figure the IRS knows everything else they want to know. I will not pay the fine...
Haven't gotten ours yet, so I don't really know what is on it. Big brother knows all about us anyway. I had just ran across that info on a fishing forum I frequent, and Googled it to be sure it was factual. I've seen lots of folks on other forums that only filled out the number of people in the residence question. I would add that info as far as to males/females, place of birth, and such are very important to genealogists. I researched my family for years, and the info on the census was a tremendous help.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I got mine and filled it out. This ain't the first one I've filled out and suppose it won't be the last. Happens every 10 years. I think this is the fourth one I've done. I don't care if they know anything about me or not, but at least I feel counted. I won't mail it back until after April 2, 2010 since the questionaire is riddled with "as of April 1, 2010". Hopefully nothing changes within the next couple weeks.

However, I don't recall the big deal about being Hispanic/Mexican-American/Chicano being separated like this and these are no longer considered races. So I declared myself Hispanic/Mexican-American/Chicano (I hate the term Chicano) and for race put down White/Spaniard/Native Mexican.

At the very least you guys might get fined. I'll probably get deported.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I honestly do not see nothing on this form that for me is a problem. I have found in the past that vendors ask for more information on warranty forms when you buy something then what is on this form. I just bought a ceiling fan and they asked more personnal info then I think they need to know, ex: age,sex,income,buying habits, etc; I think they are more invasive then this form.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
People are making a HUGE mountain out of a mole hill, IMHO. Standing behind the "Constitutionality" of the census in refusing to answer the questions is like refusing to pay your income taxes for the same reason. Our country has a ton of laws (good, bad or otherwise) that aren't specifically addressed in the Constitution. For example, speed limits aren't addressed in the Constitution. Try fighting a ticket on that basis and let me know how you make out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

People are making a HUGE mountain out of a mole hill, IMHO. Standing behind the "Constitutionality" of the census in refusing to answer the questions is like refusing to pay your income taxes for the same reason. Our country has a ton of laws (good, bad or otherwise) that aren't specifically addressed in the Constitution. For example, speed limits aren't addressed in the Constitution. Try fighting a ticket on that basis and let me know how you make out.
Tom
Well said I agree 100% complete the form mail in just like our ancestors have done for century's
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I worked with a lady in Alaska who was of the "Anti government mentatlity". For Y2K she bought HUGE bags of rice and beans and multiple gallons of water from Costco thinking the entire supply line would be interrupted when all the computers in the world would crash because of the "date thing". She was from a town in Oregon that believed one day the government would have everything. Well, I think they still have about 60% to go on that one. I happen to think that no harm will come of filling out the census forms properly. This government does a lot more FOR us than Against us. I have lived in foreign countries and if you think it is bad here, try living abroad for a few years. As the saying goes "There's no place like home" as long as it is the USA.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
I just got my census form. In 2000 I got the long form (more like a book). It wanted to know everything, including questions about the bathrooms in my house and many other questions I didn't think that needed to be answered. This time there is only the short form, not invasive. I do not have any problems with this one.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

On a different perspective, if you have ever dabbled in any kind of research on tracing your family tree then you would appreciate any and all information provided by your ancestors to the census bureau. In many situations that has been the only means for leaving future generations information on a household. It might be surprising as to what a researcher can learn from simply knowing who lived there and the ages that may be provided for each member of the family. Information is held for several years before it is turned to public records and I don’t see anything offensive as to what they may ask.

On the other hand I have heard a complaint or two where researchers have gotten the simple form back in 2000 when they actually wanted to fill out the long form for the benefit of their future generations. Being able to leave a record for future generations in its self would make me feel that it’s a worthwhile cause.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Art, if you get deported call me & I'll go bring you back!
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks Steve! You are a pal!

But have you been reading the other posts about what's happening South of the Border? I hope that doesn't change your mind. Maybe this new census is trying to study what's going on and how it's affecting the U.S. population?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote