Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
Fresh Water Tank Plumbing

Hello. Can you please help? Do you know if when using the fresh water tank with the water pump, does that water first run through the water heater? For background: my water heater is not working properly (intermittently with electric and gas). It is supposed to freeze where we are camping tonight, so I drained the water heater, disconnected the city water supply, and plan to use what is in my fresh water tank. My fresh water tank is only 1/3 full. BUT if water will first pump to the water heater, I don't want that to happen and chance my water heater filling up, being cold since it doesn't work, and freeze. So that is why I want to know if the fresh water pumps through the water heater before going to the faucets. Thank you. Sorry if this is a long post. I have a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL.

Jayne-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
No, the fresh water coming from the tank is strictly cold water which then goes to the water heater if a faucet is opened up. To prevent water from filling the water heater tank, turn the water heater bypass valve to the bypass position in your convenience center, as this will keep water from entering the empty tank. Also be sure electric is turned off to the water heater.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Attached a diagram one of our members made.
Also in our files section there is a water heater troubleshooting file
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3
If you drained the water heater I'm guessing you put it in bypass mode. ( water heater bypass on/off, ON). Make sure Winterize is OFF. And Normal flow is selected on the fill valve.
Don't forget to turn on your tank heaters but only if they have liquid in them. Also use your furnace to keep your underbelly warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water convenience center.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	6525  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
Thank you both. And many thanks for the diagram.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
To me you would have to decribe freezing. Are we talking 30-32 ? or 15-20. We camp every thanksgiving and sometimes its 15. No issues. If its that cold I will keep a 100 watt trouble light on behind the convienance center to keep the area above freezing.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
It got down to 30 degrees. I guess I figured that since freezing temp is 32 degrees F., I could potentially have an issue. Thanks for clarifying!

Tags
fresh water, plumbing