Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Fresh Water Tank Sensor Problem

My fresh water tank froze and busted back around Christmas while in WV when it got to -8 degrees for several days.
Camping world had my unit from January 4th until last Monday repairing sidewall cracks at the rear under both living room slides. This is their 5th attempt, fingers crossed.
Since they had it for so long, I had them replace the freshwater tank for me. It holds exactly the 54 gallons that the old one did and does not appear to be leaking, however the sensors do not work corretly.
When completely empty, they read correctly as empty. After 15 gallons of water they read completely full. I never get a 1/3 or 2/3 reading, only full or empty.
My guess is that the sensor wires for the full and 1/3 reading are reversed. I have not torn down the coroplast to look yet. Does anyone know the color coding of the wires for the freshwater tank? I found a RecPro video showing Yellow, Green and Red for the 1/3, 2/3 and full sensors, but I'm not sure if these are RecPro sensors or not.

RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There's a wire color code chart in the files section

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=39
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks Daryles. I got that one some time ago. It does show the color wire to each tank (blue for the fresh water tank), but not the individual sensor wires for the 1/3, 2/3 and full sensors that are bundled at the tank itself. As I understand it, a white wire is used for common at or near the bottom of the tank, then three other colors go to each sensor at the 1/3, 2/3 and full positions. They are bundled with a sending unit then a single wire feeds the panel inside the coach to light up the red led's on the panel at the appropriate depth 1/3, 2/3 or full.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Picture of a black tank (upside down)
Not sure if this helps.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank sensor black grey.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	14718  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:27 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
It actually might...
The white wire should be common or ground, so then blue is 1/3, yellow is 2/3 and green is full. I'll check mine and see what is hooked up.
Thanks, Daryles.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:49 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It probably does not matter what the color of the wires are. Check the color of the wire at the tank, and then check the color of the wire at the sensor read-outs on the inside of your camper. You'll have to get behind the panel to see how the wires are attached. If the top is green at the tank, then the green wire should go to the full sensor on the panel. Same with the other colors.

It's possible your order on the read out might be F, E, 1/3, 2/3. instead of F, 2/3, 1/3, E. If so, you can probably simply switch wires by cutting and splicing at the tank end or the read out panel end, ..... or .... just keep it as is and simply remember which button goes with each read out.

In time, you won't be using that read out at all. You'll just develop a keen sense when you know you need to add water. Actually, if you feel the urge to check the water level in the fresh water tank, it's probably time to add water anyway. So, just add water until it's full again.

I found if I fill mine ever 2 days I'm always good to go. (I always run water from my fresh water tank, never from shore water). It also helps a LOT to attach a water meter to your camper so you can monitor exactly how much water you are filling in your tank. This will also help you become more aware of exactly how much water you are using, and again, will help you just have a sense when you know it's time to add more water to the tank.

One thing I do know, when my water tank gets to a certain low point, my water pump all of a sudden sounds different. And within a very short while, it's spitting air. No biggie, just fill the fresh water tank again.

We also have a washing machine. Before doing laundry, I make sure the water tank if completely full. My machine uses 8 gallons a load. It's easy to know exactly how much water is being used. Knowing or having a feel for your water usage goes a long, long way. And again, in time, you'll stop depending or relying on those sensors. (when the actually work).

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:03 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks Dutch.
Actually there is only 1 wire that goes from the fresh tank to the panel read out. For my fresh tank, that's a blue 18 guage wire. The other wires are on the sensors on the tank itself, then a "sending unit" for lack of a better term, sets a resistance on the blue wire that indicates which sensor is closed, 1/3, 2/3 or full.
They used to work flawlessly on the fresh tank, but never worked on the black or gray after the first couple of uses.
In my case, I only use the fresh tank for a small amount of water on travel days for flushing and washing hands, and then in the winter when I cannot leave a hose outside. That's actually why I'm trying to get them working. When hunting season comes in November, I'll have to fill and use the fresh tank and my only water access is a long way away so knowing a rough level is very handy. There's typically several of us in the camper during that 2-3 weeks, so water gets used a lot, and my best guesses go out the window vs. when it's just me and my wife.

Tags
fresh water tank sensors