Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Glass Cabinet Doors

Just thought I would drop a few lines to let you all know about an experience I had recently. I went to open one of my cabinets over our desk that has the glass insert and the glass fell out, hit the top of desk with it's corner, stabbing desk top and as it was going down it hit my glasses and put a large scratch on them. I was very grateful that I was wearing glasses as they prevented me from a serious injury to my eye. Gene checked out the glass in all ours and determined a clear looking chaulking was all that was holding these glass inserts in the frames.This caulking had dried and got brittle causing it to loosen. He put some of the little metal glazer points in all of ours. We were surprised that the glass in these doors were not made more secured. They could easy come out during all the shaking it gets when pulling.
I just wanted to warn everyone of this danger so action can be tasken before someone is hurt. We have the 3575 model.

faeb

faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the heads up. I am heading out Thursday and will put it on my pretrip checklist. Glad nobody got hurt.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Faeb, What year is your unit? Thanks for the heads up.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We had the same problem with our 2002. Looks like they use a ridgit type adhesive dealer replaced with silicone that has worked well
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I had a door that had problem, at the service center they repaired with some kind of "hot glue". I had since added a bit more hot glue around some of the doors where I felt it was a bit thin.

Glad you did not get hurt Faye, bet that was scarry (See ya in the RGV this winter?)

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Faeb, What year is your unit? Thanks for the heads up.
Our's is a 2003... the 3575 model.
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
I had one of ours come loose also. I think the heat out here dried out the adhesive the factory used. I went around the edge of all of ours with a silcon glue. Glad no one was hurt... Jack
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
the glass in my medicine cabinet mirror is on the verge of falling out. I am going to re-silicone around the glass and I bought some large metal picture hanging bars to put diagonally in all 4 corners, then I will shim the mirror against the metal strips with cardboard or something else to hold it securely. I think the silicone around the glass is actually helpful for travelling, because it will help take the shock out of the bumps in the road. Just a theory. Superglue is also a good idea.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes..also happened on our last camper..check all the glass.Those skilled workman can get rushed at times and forget things. Make sure Keystone knows of your problem..Call Customer service..let them know..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote