Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2023, 06:50 AM   #1
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Ford Super Duty Rear Camera Recall 22S51

Parts are finally available for the Ford Super Duty rear (backup) camera recall 22S51. I got mine installed yesterday. Wow, what a difference!!

If you have a 2017-2020 Super Duty you can go to this website and enter your VIN to see if your truck is included.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The rest of the story. My dealer had to validate the bad camera and order the part from a regional warehouse. So what one might think is an easy in and out to get the work done turned into 2 trips - 1 to get the diagnosis and part ordered and 1 to get the install after the part arrived. Order to arrival was several days (and longer than the dealer anticipated).

C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:40 AM   #2
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I actually had 3 recalls on mine, 1 of which was transmission. Like you said they don't keep the parts on the shelf. Mine took 2 1/2 weeks. They also aren't giving out loaners either. Luckily I had to get some surgery done and am laid up for several weeks so I wasn't in a hurry
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:16 AM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Rams too

Evidently some 22 model Ram trucks didn't fare any better....
Wonder if both used the same supplier?

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2022 Model Year Ram 1500 (DT), Ram 2500 (DJ), and Ram 3500 10K LB. Chassis Cab (DF) vehicles. for radio software which may prevent the rearview image from displaying. This leads to a failure to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 111, “Rear Visibility.”
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:53 AM   #4
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Evidently some 22 model Ram trucks didn't fare any better....
Wonder if both used the same supplier?

Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2022 Model Year Ram 1500 (DT), Ram 2500 (DJ), and Ram 3500 10K LB. Chassis Cab (DF) vehicles. for radio software which may prevent the rearview image from displaying. This leads to a failure to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 111, “Rear Visibility.”
I had never driven a vehicle with a rearview image display until last January when I rented a Ram 1500 for a trip. (No RV in tow.) I found the camera display, with colored lines directing me where to go, sometimes helpful but mostly very confusing--and I instead resorted to just looking over my shoulder out the back window like I've always done when driving.

Are you saying that rearview cameras are now considered standard safety equipment for all new vehicles, mandated by law? Or for trucks towing trailers?
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:56 AM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Rear view cams are now required for both new cars and trucks themselves

Best new advancement I've enjoyed is the digital rear view "mirror" that has 160° view from behind the cab.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:36 AM   #6
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:

Best new advancement I've enjoyed is the digital rear view "mirror" that has 160° view from behind the cab.
Sorry--I didn't mean to be rude. I only saw the first part of your response in my email, not the second part. I agree that rearview cameras can be very helpful and add to safety at times, I just found mine distracting and confusing, so I think they are detracting from safety sometimes, too, and should not be mandatory.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:

With new higher definition cameras, 360 degree view, rear wide angle view, large screens, rear beeper warnings, and the great tow mirrors, I almost never turn my head to look behind any more. Great for me as I am not as flexible as I used to be for rotating my head and body. Required or not, I would not be without them.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Anytime I am in the truck and have a load in the bed or I am hooking up to a pull behind trailer, that rear view camera is invaluable. The car has "surround" cameras showing not only the back up picture (with clearance lines that you quickly learn how to use) but also front and side views to aid in determining clearances in those directions. It sure cuts down on complaints by management that I parked too close or too far from the curb or adjacent vehicle.

The car also can use the camera system for a wide screen rear view mirror. But I find it to be a bit disorienting when in motion. Fortunately, it has a normal rear view mirror capability. I am definitely a fan of the cameras. As BB_TX wrote, I just don't twist and turn as well as I used to.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
….. .

The car also can use the camera system for a wide screen rear view mirror. But I find it to be a bit disorienting when in motion. Fortunately, it has a normal rear view mirror capability. ……….
The wide angle mode works great when something blocks your side vision such as backing out of a driveway with tall shrubs at the side or backing out of a parking spot with a tall van beside you blocking your view. That’s about the only time I use that mode.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by newowneroldmontana View Post
Sorry--I didn't mean to be rude. I only saw the first part of your response in my email, not the second part. I agree that rearview cameras can be very helpful and add to safety at times, I just found mine distracting and confusing, so I think they are detracting from safety sometimes, too, and should not be mandatory.
No rudness involved my friend - heads can be somewhat foggy at 3 o'clock in the morning! LOL
Old 12-22-2023, 04:39 PM   #11
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
No rudness involved my friend - heads can be somewhat foggy at 3 o'clock in the morning! LOL
True that!
Old 12-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I rarely use my tow mirrors to back up if I don’t have a trailer in tow. Mirrors don’t show what is directly behind me the camera does.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #13
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&P RV View Post
Parts are finally available for the Ford Super Duty rear (backup) camera recall 22S51. I got mine installed yesterday. Wow, what a difference!!

If you have a 2017-2020 Super Duty you can go to this website and enter your VIN to see if your truck is included.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The rest of the story. My dealer had to validate the bad camera and order the part from a regional warehouse. So what one might think is an easy in and out to get the work done turned into 2 trips - 1 to get the diagnosis and part ordered and 1 to get the install after the part arrived. Order to arrival was several days (and longer than the dealer anticipated).
Recall has been out for awhile. Just had my 2019 serviced in early November for something else and I asked about it. They had the cameras in stock and replaced it. Yes, HUGE difference! Kinda makes me laugh at the language in my letter from Ford announcing the recall, saying basically that sometimes someone might think the view is a little foggy so the NTSB made them do a recall (paraphrased). There was definitely something wrong with the original, and the new one is clear as a bell.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 06:56 AM   #14
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Meers are great

I have always when backing up used my "meers" as To-mater would say.
I find the camera to be a great addition. Once when hitting a drive thru coffee shop built on a small lot, the access was so tight I started sweating bullets. But by watching my 360 view I made it through with inches to spare. I have since used it often to maneuver drive thru's not built for big a$$ trucks.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 11:29 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Gotta love those hips!