Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Call up Freightliner or Peterbilt trucking repair and see where they send their trailer alignments to.

Atlas Spring out here is busy every day with anything from 52' trailers to RV's to utility haulers.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
so you have new axles installed and an alignment on them and it's still not right. ?
Hate to say it but if you just started off with the mor ryde is when the first problem occurred you'd probably be better off.

It's difficult to measure an alignment with a straight edge since there is a toe setting.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #23
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
the alignment was on the first set of axles. the second set was just installed. Dexter provided the axles free of charge I did not pay for them, only the install. regardless of what suspension it should still go straight without eating tires.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
the alignment was on the first set of axles. the second set was just installed. Dexter provided the axles free of charge I did not pay for them, only the install. regardless of what suspension it should still go straight without eating tires.

Tony
Not without being aligned after they're installed
Old 12-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #25
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Dexter does not recommend aligning axles. At this point it’s on them to figure out.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Bending the axle tube during the alignment is the only way to align it. The vast majority of people will age out the tires before they wear them out.
The independent suspension is the only one I know of that is adjustable for alignment similar to a car or truck
Old 12-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #27
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Dexter does not recommend aligning axles. At this point it’s on them to figure out.
That makes no sense to me, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Let's assume Dexter is confident the new axle is to spec WRT pre-bend and spindles, that leaves possible misalignment to you overloading the trailer, or the frame builder (as in improperly located hangars or something worse.) The only way to determine that is to get weighed to ensure you're not overweight, and have the trailer axles aligned (by tape measure or laser methods) at a trailer/truck alignment shop.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #28
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Guarantee it’s not overweight. There is barely anything in the trailer and no water in any tanks. The new axles have a total of 8 miles on them... regardless of what dexter says about aligning the axles I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to get them aligned. Would rather dexter come up with a solution that way they are liable
Old 12-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
What I don't understand is why RV manufacturers haven't come up with something better than the Conestoga wagon Stagecoach suspension that they've been using since day one. The only thing they have addressed is the center section which helps somewhat.
Take the automobile for example and look how the suspensions on them have improved over the years. I can't remember the last time I had a car truck aligned. I have owned many that went to a hundred and fifty thousand miles or more without an alignment with no issues whatsoever.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #30
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Agreed, that's like saying why are we using drum brakes on a 41 ft trailer to stop ASAP when disk brakes are way better and in the grand scheme of things not much more of a cost when you're the manufacturer buying in bulk. Im trying to figure this out while the wife is contacting lemon law attorneys....ugh
Old 12-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #31
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Dexter finally got back to me this morning. According to the pictures I sent they see no issues. They stated that I need to tow it and let the suspension settle. She did say the straight edge method works best with the tires off so I think I will do that once I park it.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #32
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
I must add included in that price is new bearings they were not installed right, and that was 374.00. so the alignment was about 472.00. yeah still expensive !

Tony
That is close to what I paid here in Mesa, AZ. Either 350 or 450, I think.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Dexter finally got back to me this morning. According to the pictures I sent they see no issues. They stated that I need to tow it and let the suspension settle. She did say the straight edge method works best with the tires off so I think I will do that once I park it.
I think using the straight edge method works but it will not work if you're using the tires as a contact point. I built a gauge out of 1 by Lumber that touches the rim on either side and clears the center cap. You can hold a long straight edge or level against that and measure the other rim to The Straight Edge front and back to give you an idea how off they are. I can also use it to check camber the other direction with a short level.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #34
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You've wrenched your mind and wallet over this and still are all wound up. Call a local truck repair business like I mentioned above and see who in the area they use to do their trailer work. I hope when the gal said "with the tires off" she meant suspended with the level up and not actually dismount the tires?? This straight edge method we are cussing and discussing is putting out way too much light for the end of this tunnel. It's not a very accurate means of verifying alignment ... whatever you think it's telling you depends on way too many variables.

For instance say you scribe a line on the circumference of each tire on a given axle to check toe with a tape measure which is a home brew method on cars. It tells you a measurement of toe in or out, but it doesn't say in relation to the frame if one tire is pointing straight ahead and the other is creating 100% of the toe reading. On a trailer axle this matters as it is mounted solid, but on a car it just makes your steering wheel off due to drag links and tie rod ends. What I'm rambling about here is ... "Just get a professional alignment check."
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes absolutely, alignments deal in hundredths of an inch but can't be measured with a tape measure. The tape measure method will only give you somewhat of an idea if it's way off or not
Old 12-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #36
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
3 years ago I did a "hillbilly alignment" with a straight edge, 30 ton bottle jack and a chain. Got it much closer to correct alignment. Put about 20,000 miles on it and recently checked alignment with straight edge....way out. Did I mention pot holes?

Rear axle actually had a dent in it, not a candidate for alignment. Shop replaced that axle and then aligned. They drew a line on the center of the tires, and measured for tow in. New axle was fine, front needed some bending. Camber was fine. They also took a bunch of other measurements to make sure axles are properly aligned with the frame.

I put a straight edge on and can see that all 4 tires have a slight tow in, all 4 exactly the same amount.

The only way to align trailer axles is by bending the axle. It works!
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #37
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Were the new axles installed in the correct direction? Usually the axles are installed with the labels to the rear of the trailer from what I've seen, and if there is actually a toe in the axles, there will be a front and rear direction to the axles.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote